• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

Try the Savory Thin Mini Crackers - these are usually in an isolated section that holds nothing but crackers and croutons. In my local store it is at the end of the cheese sections (makes sense to have things next to each other that you serve together and I wish more stores did this) I often stop just to pick up cheeses and the crackers to accompany them. Not having to trek from one end of the store to another to buy these items is a big plus for me!

And if you haven't tried the Kettle black pepper potato chips - they are in what looks like a brown paper bag - do try them. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like them, however it may be a California thing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

no line Sunday around 11:30 but a line down the block by noonish.. the line inside, while wrapping around the store and to the cheeses, moves quickly.. the bulk of the people are moving slowly, looking at each and every thing on every shelf and in every case.. it's a lack of familiarity with the store, and its offerings, that's filling the place up..

it's weird.. i won't shop there regularly, i really do prefer the amalgam of the green market, whole foods and my grocer.. i do like the cheap cereal, milk, juice and other staples.. i don't like that the produce is packaged and that there's no butcher..

contrast this with whole foods (which had less than a five minute line at checkout) which didn't have any country style ribs in the butcher section but after 20 seconds the butcher just went in the back and cut up a whole slew of them for me..

..... but the bitter elderly of the neighborhood have already found ways to grind them (carts) into your ankles and block entire isles .....

Ha!!!!!!!!!

Alas ALL TJ's have smallish spaces and smaller aisles, and they must stock the old people in a warehouse as I've never been to a TJ's that didn't have them.

It's not the perfect store, or even a good all-around store (IMHO), but for the things they carry that others don't and excellent service (didn't like it, here's your money back) it can't be beat.

For the poster above, I'll make it point to be decidedly ungroomed when I next go. There's nothing I can do about being white, but at least I drive a Japanese car. :wink:

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Most people I know are curious to go to see what all the hoohah is about, though no one wants to go when there are still lines snaking around the block (shades of the 80's, when lines to see films rivaled the toilet paper queues in Moscow).

Me, I've been to a Trader Joe's in California, but I don't remember much about it save that the wine was very cheap (and not so very good). But, from what I've read in this thread, it's worth it just for the prices on the Plugra and Callebaut.

I do agree with the poster upthread who pointed out that as New Yorkers, we're far more likely, when not preparing our own food from fresh goods, to order takeout rather than purchase pre-made frozen stuff. Storage space, even in a freezer, is always an issue, and there are wonderful little places on every street corner as you walk by.

Try the Savory Thin Mini Crackers

Goddamn yo, those crackers paired with the cheddar horseradish spread is some seriously good shizz.

Heating up the spinach artichoke dip to eat with some pita wedges next.

This weekend is oscar movie weekend, so I've been stocking up the fridge, freezer and pantry with yummy stuff. I'm one of the rare (and lucky) NY'ers with a full size kitchen, so bring it on, TJ's. I got a party full of reprobates and miscreants waiting for it.

Well, that and pizza gruppo. Can't have a movie marathon party without gruppo. :smile:

it's weird..  i won't shop there regularly, i really do prefer the amalgam of the green market, whole foods and my grocer..  i do like the cheap cereal, milk, juice and other staples..  i don't like that the produce is packaged and that there's no butcher.. 

I agree, and that's TJs. It's for the things they do really well and as a great place for good cheap fun stuff. Go twice a month for things you can't get anywhere else for the price, like cheese and chocolate. And, as I've said so often -- don't spurn the frozen fish and veg. Best anywhere.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Whoa -- talk about something I really don't want to experience again anytime soon. I found myself in the vicinity of TJ's today around 2pm, and decided to venture in. My first impression is they could have used a much bigger store. Actually I don't think they could have built a store big enough in NYC to handle the volume. While the "doorman" wasn't on duty, there was the "End of Line" signpost guy, and the checkout line wrapped from the front of the store around the side and almost all the way across the back of the store.

I didn't manage to do a surgical strike and get everything pretty quickly that I wanted.

List included:

Chili Spiced Mango

Habanero Pisatchios

Chedder Horseradish Spread

3 Berry Granola

Sesame Stix

Thai Chili Lime Peanuts

Mango Salsa

Pinapple Salsa

The shopping took maybe 8 minutes, the line took 20.

Oh well, it wasn't the greatest experience, but now I get to gorge myself on chili mango slices. Yummm

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Whoa -- talk about something I really don't want to experience again anytime soon.  I found myself in the vicinity of TJ's today around 2pm, and decided to venture in.  My first impression is they could have used a much bigger store.  Actually I don't think they could have built a store big enough in NYC to handle the volume.  While the "doorman" wasn't on duty, there was the "End of Line" signpost guy, and the checkout line wrapped from the front of the store around the side and almost all the way across the back of the store.

You're brave man, John...thanks for doing some recon - enjoy those peanuts! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I have to get a Wok in Chinatown (is Hung Chong still recommended?), so I guess I'll go there, I hope it doesn't get mobbed now that it's stopped raining. Mets game was postponed so I have to make a day out of it...

Should I bring a camera or has this place been photoblogged to death? Wait, it's only a grocery store....

Edited by raji (log)

I had a week off and got in this past Thursday AM, no line at all. What I've tried so far (chevre, crackers, guacamole) has been good. Better than Fairway brands. Eggs were cheaper than my local markets, and the Hebrew National Franks were 2 dollars cheaper than in my neighborhood. Can't wait to go back when I have my little cart along.

I had a week off and got in this past Thursday AM, no line at all. What I've tried so far (chevre, crackers, guacamole) has been good.  Better than Fairway brands. Eggs  were cheaper than my local markets, and the Hebrew National Franks were 2 dollars cheaper than in my neighborhood. Can't wait to go back when I have my little cart along.

After I wrote this I realized how unfair I was being to Fairway. In truth, Fairway carries far more items and it would not be easy to match the two stores straight up. For many things I would still go to Fairway. I suppose I should have said that I don't like Fairway prepared foods that I've tried, and have enjoyed the prepared items I've bought at Trader more.

I had a week off and got in this past Thursday AM, no line at all. What I've tried so far (chevre, crackers, guacamole) has been good.  Better than Fairway brands. Eggs  were cheaper than my local markets, and the Hebrew National Franks were 2 dollars cheaper than in my neighborhood. Can't wait to go back when I have my little cart along.

After I wrote this I realized how unfair I was being to Fairway. In truth, Fairway carries far more items and it would not be easy to match the two stores straight up. For many things I would still go to Fairway. I suppose I should have said that I don't like Fairway prepared foods that I've tried, and have enjoyed the prepared items I've bought at Trader more.

I don't think that TJ's should be compared to Fairway.

TJ's exists in its own little quirky universe.

I am still totally mystified by the "cult" that seems to rave about TJ's.

If they can be compared to anyone--I believe one should look to traditional supermarkets.

Food Town, A and P, Stop and Shop and or small local delis Korean markets etc.

It seems the cult likes to rave about specific items the TJ's offers --things that fall into a decidedly "quirky" food category while over looking TJ's short comings.

By the way--I have shopped at TJ's--they are fine for what they are but I am convinced that many local supermarkets offer a lot more positives.

As I see it--TJ's is weak on selection--they do not carry enough everyday items. Their strategy seems to be get people hooked on some off beat items that only TJ's seems to offer.

TJ's falls short on fresh items--meat, produce etc. I believe they prefer to deal mostly in items that have long shelf life. Frozen and pre packaged items as well as things they can buy in bulk.

(they have a similar strategy re: low prices that Wal Mart shares).

Nothing wrong in any of this but TJ's seems to be successful in pulling off a bit of slight of hand--marketing wise.

Take their "Two Buck Chuck" effort. This is pure marketing schtick.

The folksy atmosphere and quirkiness are carefully nurtured--they are after all a huge chain operation. Like the Wizzard of OZ they count on people not looking behind the curtain.

You're talking about the 125th St. Fairway, right? The one on Broadway and 74th is really convenient unless you have a car, then I'd think it would be horrible...

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

You're talking about the 125th St. Fairway, right?  The one on Broadway and 74th is really convenient unless you have a car, then I'd think it would be horrible...

Does it really matter?

I would guess that most food shopping in Manhattan is done with convenience being a major factor.

Places near home or work.

You're talking about the 125th St. Fairway, right?  The one on Broadway and 74th is really convenient unless you have a car, then I'd think it would be horrible...

Does it really matter?

I would guess that most food shopping in Manhattan is done with convenience being a major factor.

Places near home or work.

It's more like 130something.. isn't the selection at the original one so much better? (I think the Harlem one is the original...)

... showing my age...

Yeah, that's right, pretend to complain about being young.

:raz: Not that green mind you. When did that fairway open? Koch? I seem to have only taken notice when they were joking with the big electronic sign that looks on to the west side highway