• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Coming to Manhattan!

It's true! Union Square inches even further toward suburbia with the addition of a Trader Joe's on 14th Street (joining Whole Foods, Forever 21, DSW and Filene's Basement, all relatively recent additions). Have to say, though, I'm pretty psyched about this one...

For all the New Yorkers, whaddya think?

For all those who already shop at TJ's, what should we newbies zoom in on when the doors open this spring?

Here's a link to the item in the NY Times...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

It's true!  Union Square inches even further toward suburbia with the addition of a Trader Joe's on 14th Street (joining Whole Foods, Forever 21, DSW and Filene's Basement, all relatively recent additions).  Have to say, though, I'm pretty psyched about this one...

For all those who already shop at TJ's, what should we newbies zoom in on when the doors open this spring?

The dried fruits and nuts, the yogurts, the cereals, the frozen foods, the canned soups, the wines. It is difficult to pick without knowing your tastes. Their "B" grade maple syrup has super flavor and the price is right. The "bulk" chocolate chunks.

My best advice is leave your credit cards at home and take a limited amount of cash for your first visit.

(I rarely get out of the store for less than $100.00, usually more.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was visiting a friend in NJ yesterday and I made it a point to go to Trader Joe's afterward. It's a rare treat!

One of my favorite products is this crushed garlic. It's like a mini ice cube tray and it's so nice to just pop out a cube of garlic and not have to deal with chopping or mincing. It's just so much better than the chopped garlic that you keep in the refrigerator. A few months ago I had read somewhere that they were discontinuing the chopped garlic. I was devastated! Needless to say, I was so thrilled to see it yesterday that I bought several packages (and a few for my sister too!). The cashier told me that they are not discontinuing it -- phew!

I stocked up on different stuff and spent $93.00. And I really "needed" nothing!

I live near Union Square, and while I love Whole Foods (and I swear by Fresh Direct), I'm excited for Trader Joe's!

It's true!  Union Square inches even further toward suburbia with the addition of a Trader Joe's on 14th Street (joining Whole Foods, Forever 21, DSW and Filene's Basement, all relatively recent additions).  Have to say, though, I'm pretty psyched about this one...

Inexpensive fresh squeezed juices like tangerine and they have a great steawberry lemonade. Ak-Mak crackers are 1.19 per box (in SJ, CA), mini pizzas, paneer for Indian cooking, a lot of prepared stuff but fresh and mostly healthy. I'll be visiting next time I'm there.

I have to say I am both excited and scared. Excited because whenever I am visiting family out west they always have great trader joes products around. Scared because it is already a zoo with Whole Foods there, adding Trader Joes to the mix will be insane..

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I know nothing about Trader Joes except I dont like it.. I personally think chains for the most part have no business in New York City.. The only positive thing a chain might do is, expose people to ingrediants or foods they might not normally get. We dont need exotic herbs such as cilantro shipped in Via tin can..

Does New York need a place that makes "really great salsa" or a really "great salad dressing", when all it is really is just more massed produced crap... New York doesnt need a place to get generic crap.. We have the real thing.. Trader Joes, Dominos, Subway, Sabarros, Godiva, Pizza Hut, Olive Garden and Fridays need to spread the message elsewhere..

I have fears of people suggesting Trader Joes as a destination spot for tourists..

One of my best friends in the world lived in NYC.. He sat in his apartment, ate Fast Food night and Day, and never went out.. I said why the heck are you paying so much rent to be doing what you could be doing in any living room anywhere in the world... He moved to Michigan, he is just as happy, Dominos delivers there..

Edited by Daniel (log)

OK.. I having never been to a Trader Joes, I just know its bad. I would like a Pros and Cons list of the two. I know that Trader Joes is known for there branded products.. I would like a head to head contest between NY'S finest and this Trader Label.. I will spot Trader Joes five places..

Whats your favorite Trade Joes product? I think collectively we can find at least five places where NYC makes it better..

Edited by Daniel (log)

The first thing I said, I know nothing about it.. Never been to one, dont know anything about it.. But its a chain thats coming to New York. Thats all I need to know.. Should this conversation even be in the New York thread.. Is there some general area we can collectively all discuss the chain. :biggrin: Or are the stores different from town to town..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I agree with dockhl. You have to try TJ's stuff before you trash it. Not all chains are wretched refuse. I will definitely stop by this location and check out what they have to offer. When I've been in California, I've enjoyed some of their products. One thing is staying in my mind while I'm writing this: I was at a TJ's in some town not far from Sacramento whose name slips my mind, and was given a sample of a "Thai chicken salad." I wasn't expecting much, but it was actually quite good and, despite the addition of slivered almonds, tasted really Thai to me! I could have easily seen getting some of that and having it in sandwiches.

Michael aka "Pan"

I love the Trader Joe's Creamy Blue Cheese, hadn't seen it for a while. As I was looking for it the person stocking the shelves asked if I had found everything I was looking for.

"No, I ws looking for the TJ's Creamy Blue---I like it as much as Saga"

"Well, sure, they make it for us........"

At $3.99/LB !!!!!!!!!

Just an example, Daniel. Not a "chain" as you think of it............ :rolleyes:

Edited to add: I am 1/2 hr away from one, when I used to be 3 blocks. I miss it desparately, esp the herb salad mix......and baby spinach...........and nuts..........and tzatziki........and salmon......and frozen shrimp.........

Edited by dockhl (log)

Whats the wine like there? Doc, are the nuts better then average nuts or just cheaper? Same question for the frozen shrimp and salmon.. Is the frozen shrimp cheaper then the live shrimp in Chinatown..Is there salmon just cheaper, or is it better then the salmon you can get all over New York.. Where does the New York store get there Salmon from..There tzatziki is it better then any tzatziki you could make or buy in New York.. And there herb salad mix.. Would it be better then the salad you could buy at Union Square Market.. A place where families and World Famous chefs all go to purchase there herbs.. Where a father of two could buy the same herbs, from the farmer, that a chef will use for a 20 dollar salad.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Oh man, I am happy about this. I love that place, only been to locations in California, so this'll be a treat.

They can't sell wine there, can they?

ETA: What's Forever 21?

Edited by lia (log)

Andiesenji said the wines.. Do they sell wine too.. What are we talking about here...

Good, and not good. Inexpensive wines fun to try. Or good wines at a fair price. Cheap Burnett's vodka for mixing, and some really good prices on single malt scotch. Make sure you get the Fearless Flyer........these things frequently sell out VERY quickly.

It is not alll things to all people, just a great place to pick up some things. Believe it or not, it is one more SPECIALTY shop.............just add it to your repertoire and cruise it occasionally.

Daniel, I've always liked you and your posts. We may have to fight over this one. :raz:

I respectfully suggest you wait til it opens, walk through the store, THEN make the decision as to why or why not it's bad.

The only con I can think of goes with the rest of the Mallification of NYC (or whatever the f* that term is); that the presence of stores like these in the city drives rent up in the neighboring 'hoods and the "little" stores have to close because they can't afford it anymore...whether or not the business is successful. But that's happening all over the city...and Union Square has kind of always had 'brand' places...even if those brands have gotten a little more upscale over the years.

Lia, Lia..

I've always liked you and would never argue with a women in a cat outfit :biggrin: ...

I am assuming all the sensible people besides myself are sleeping at this point.. But the topic is clear, care to put one of your favorite Trade Joe products against NYC? :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel~

It is not the BEST OF THE BEST

It is good food at a good price under one roof. You can run all over town and find better, no doubt, but this is way better, and at a better price, than most people can find locally.

Do us all a favor ..........and please DON'T go !

I love your posts, your photos, your devotion to wonderful food. Do not drive yourself crazy trying to find something at TJ's that won't be there.......and then being miserable. Keep searching out the best ingredients for your delightful, complex dinners. :rolleyes:

K

First of all, besides meat and fish, I shop at the local Spanish Grocery.. Not even complex.. How many frozen pizzas will Trader Joes sell in Manhattan.. Will Dominos survive the hit..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Yeah I have to admit, I respect your posts too Daniel but if you've never been, then your whole tirade lacks a bit of credibility. This isn't like when Starbucks came or even Kmart or Target. Starbucks gouges us and ruins the look of neighborhoods, and Kmart and Target inundate us with CRAP. I can't really hate this chain when I am forced to pay $5 for a half gallon of freakin' orange juice. It's good to know that to buy groceries at their prices I don't have to go to the projects. This isn't necessarily the gourmet stuff but it's very good quality at a very cheap price.

It's bad enough that I have to wade through the litter that our friends from Jersey leave us, they get to fart smoke from their SUV's in our faces and laugh at us from their Trader Joe's? I'm glad TJ's is coming, it's well deserved, and I'm sure it will be successful. They might only break even but they have their flagship store here. Come on this is one of the few GOOD things to come from the suburbs...

I've only been there twice when out of town, but when I went in, I had the same look in my eyes as when my Japanese tourist friends storm down broadway buying up Levis....

Edited by raji (log)

Whats the wine like there? Doc, are the nuts better then average nuts or just cheaper? Same question for the frozen shrimp and salmon.. Is the frozen shrimp cheaper then the live shrimp in Chinatown..Is there salmon just cheaper, or is it better then the salmon you can get all over New York.. Where does the New York store get there Salmon from..There tzatziki is it better then any tzatziki you could make or buy in New York.. And there herb salad mix.. Would it be better then the salad you could buy at Union Square Market.. A place where families and World Famous chefs all go to purchase there herbs.. Where a father of two could buy the same herbs, from the farmer, that a chef will use for a 20 dollar salad.

Daniel:

You've answered your own question. No the shrimp aren't as fresh as the live ones in Chinatown. That's not who they're competing with. The salad mix isn't nearly as good as that you could buy from the farmer. That's not who they're competing with either. But TJ's is a magnitude above the average supermarket (Gristede's and it's ilk) which is who they ARE competing against. As others have mentioned, it's a specialty shop that has certain items that are worthy of purchasing there both on price and quality. If you keep that perspective you won't be disappointed. Their own brand name sauces, salsas, mustards, dressings, etc. are delicious and high quality. Nuts, spices and cereals are great (I'm a big fan of their low-fat Blueberry Meusli) as are the cheeses. No it's not Murray's, but it is also a heck of a lot less expensive for quality cheese. The frozen goods are high quality and less processed than most of the big brand names found in the supermarkets.

Go take a look at Trader Joe's before you dismiss it on principle. You'd be cutting yourself off from a very good supplier.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Daniel,

I don't think that it can go against NYC as you will always find it fresher or better.The question is,will you find it all of reasonable good quality at one place at great prices? It is kind of a demi gourmet/discount mini mart.

You are so lucky to have NYC, I guess I am lucky a TJ's opened up in my area. :raz:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Allow me to remove myself from this discussion.. I now know I need to go there before I dismiss it.. I respect all of your opinions and will go there because of them, eventually.. (Against every instinct I have) You all have eased some of my fears..

Edited by Daniel (log)