• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting Oh My Ganache Bakery in Philadelphia...

Hello all! I mentioned in an earlier thread that my wife and I would be starting a bakery in Philadelphia. Well the time is getting closer, and the activity is picking up a bit. This project is in the very very beginning stages of coming to life, so I thought I'd start sharing now.

I enjoyed reading about Criollo bakery in Portland, as well as Lazrowp's thread about Sushi Nation (I didn't exactly enjoy reading the end result, but I sure learned a lot from it). So I'm going to document the opening of our business here on eGullet so that all of you can join in the fun, tears, excitment, and problems that Jill and I will surely face. All I ask for in return is your honest opinions (and I might even ask for your help if you can offer it).

So...

To start it off, let me tell you a bit about us and our idea. Our names are Stephen and Jill. We currently live in San Francisco, and have been out here for almost three years. Jill is the pastry chef at a restaurant called Hawthorne Lane, and I work pastry for the Ritz-Carlton San Francisco. We decided about a year ago that we were done working for other people, and figured that the only way that was going to change was if did our own thing. After looking here for a while and deciding that it is too expensive and too far from our families, we abandoned the idea of staying here, and concentrated our focus on Philadelphia (close to home for Jill).

But first we're taking an extended vacation to Europe. We've busted our asses for a long time and deserve the time off! Lord knows that once we come back and start the bakery, we will not have any time off for quite a long time...

We have always talked about owning a bakery, and now is the time! We will come back from Europe in August.

We haven't done too much yet, but we have a name (Oh My Ganache Bakery), a strong philosophy, and a business plan in progress. We've made a few contacts in Philly in regards to you fine eGullet-ers, a few pastry reps, and property owners.

We intend on doing high-end pastry... contemporary yet accessable. The style will be heavily influenced by our time on the west coast, as well as our time in Europe. Jill is an immensely talented chef and manager and will be in charge of the back of the house, and I will be responsible for the front of the house.

Our mission statement is as follows, and we strongly believe in it. It reads...

"It is the vision of Oh My Ganache Bakery to become the premier pastry destination in the Philadelphia area. This will be accomplished by serving consistent and delicious foods, providing our guests with reliable, warm and professional service, treating our employees with the utmost respect and dignity, being aware of the social and environmental impacts we have, and by remembering to always have fun!"

The mission statement is a reflection of our core values, which will form the philosophical views of Oh My Ganache Bakery.

We're really excited to begin this journey and adventure, and we hope that you are as well. Thank you and we'll talk again soon...

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Looking forward to seeing your work in PHL.

While I'm out beyond the 'burbs and trek into town far too rarely, I'll make sure to pop down and visit once you open. Fabulous pastry is a wonderful thing... do play with interesting new flavors and be adventurous... but remember to keep a few items priced within the reach of any and everybody. That way you'll get people in the door, and have interesting stuff for them to splurge on.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Congrats! I wish you the bet of luck in your endeavor. This is not an easy city to open a business in. Be prepared to pay a lot of bribe money! That aside (oh, and the ridiulous city wage tax) I absolutely love this city.

Hi guys! So glad that you picked Philadelphia over NJ. We figured out how to drive to Philly last month and we've been there 4 times since. #1 boy seems to have his professional self set on Yale, but we're lobbying for Philly, if we have to stay up North! Great city!!!!!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Only the best wishes for you and your wife! I hope that your venture be ultimately successful. Someday, when I get to go to Philly, I'll make it a point to drop by. Hehe!

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

Congratulations and all my best wishes!

Since you're coming to Europe - and if you stop in Paris - don't FORGET to visit Pierre Hermé's stores... beside all the pastry items and chocolates they just look awesome...maybe you can get some ideas there. You can also check Sadaharu AOKI in Paris as well. And if you stop by London, please try Yauatcha... one of the best designs I've experienced. It's on Soho, on 15-17 Broadwick St. It's a restaurant but also a Tea Room on the ground floor.

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

I dont know if you guys (ohmyganache) know me but feel free to call on me anytime. I have been open retail for almost 2 years and wholesale for 3. It's alot of work, but if you love it then it doesnt matter (ask Mel)

I'm in the process of opening a second location(the first one, Sweet Karma is more of a destination spot, no parking but people come) The new spot is going to be called City Sweets dessert bar and coffee house (right next to a movie theatre with 6 movies in a small village with cool ecletic stores.

Enlist the aid of everyone to help, family friends, etc.. to elevate costs.

Good Luck and welcome the wonderful world of being an owner

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Fantastic! My husband and I are at the end stages of opening a bakery in montana. More of an artisan bread, with some breakfast pastries type of bakery. We are at the opposite end of the timeline-hopefully we will open our doors at the end of next week AAAAaaahh that is just 8 days away! What am doing on the internet?!

We enlisted the help of friends, family, people we didn't know. Literally! I walked up to the owner of the business three doors down, introduced myself, explained our situation and asked if he could help us move some heavy things-we've since become friends.

I'll do my best with advice-keep in mind no matter how much you plan everything will take longer and cost more. People told me that and said oh no, I've gone over these numbers so many times, I've called this person and that person and triple checked. It still cost more and took longer!

But it's really fun. I think it helps that my husband and I are equally focused, its all we ever talk about. REally nothing else. One day we went for a short walk and decided no bakery talk. We walked for 15 minutes without saying anything, and then changed our minds!

Please take lots and lots of European bakeries, if you have any good bread pics we would love it!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi, and the best of luck to you two!

Have you visited Miel Patisserie in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill NJ? Started by Bobby Bennett, from Le Bec Fin fame. Wonderful stuff. Just lovely.

Here is an article about Bennett from the Philadelphia Inquirer, written after he decided to leave the bakery behind.

As long as you are intent on having fun (and having a life, too?) you should be okay.

I can't wait to read the thread on your European vacay! Have a great time!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

filipe... thanks for the reccomendations of places to see in Europe.

bripastryguy... thanks for the advice, we will call on you in the future! Please feel free to share anything that you want to... we'll listen to everything.

hannamontana... wow, I can't believe you're opening a place so soon! That's very exciting. Jill and I either talk about the bakery or europe... that's pretty much it as well.

etalanian... We have not visited Miel, although I have heard of it. We'll check it out in February (hopefully).

In other news...

Jill and I have a friend who is a patent lawyer for the gov. She suggested we trademark the name Oh My Ganache, because it's so catchy. We thought that sounded like a good idea, so she looked it up for us... bad news. Here is the e-mail she sent...

Jill & Stephen - I did a quick search this morning on the Trademark website (http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm), which is the first step toward getting a trademark.  You see whether it's taken, and then if it's not you submit an application to register and protect your name and/or logo.  I'm sorry to say - looks like it's been taken and being used by Cold Stone.  Check out the query results below.  I almost wish I didn't do the search now, but in the long run it's best that you find this out sooner rather than later.  If you want to look into it further give me a call.

Word Mark OH MY GANACHE!

Translations The English translation of the term "GANACHE" is "chocolate cream filling".

Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, sweaters, polo-shirts, pants, shorts, socks, aprons and headwear

IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: Restaurant services namely, restaurants featuring frozen confections including ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbets

IC 035. US 100 101 102. G & S: Retail store services, featuring coffee mugs, apparel and headwear

Standard Characters Claimed 

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Design Search Code 

Serial Number 78346633

Filing Date December 30, 2003

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Published for Opposition March 22, 2005

Owner (APPLICANT) Cold Stone Creamery, Inc. CORPORATION ARIZONA 16101 N. 82nd Street, Suite A4 Scottsdale ARIZONA 85260

Attorney of Record R. Lee Fraley

Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Damn! So I guess this means we can't (or shouldn't) use the name. From what it looks like, Coldstone owns the rights to Oh My Ganache.

Now we need a new name...

As I told Jill, this is the first of many many hurdles!!!

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

i know your wife!!! or at least, i met her when she and bridget were in new york with david gingrass on a business vacation! we had a drink up at stone rose.

how funny...small world, made smaller via eGullet

wish her well...my name is alana and i was working at cafe gray at the time. we're reversing coasts as i'm moving to the san jose area on wednesday!

good luck with your business!

Hi, and the best of luck to you two!

Have you visited Miel Patisserie in Philadelphia and Cherry Hill NJ? Started by Bobby Bennett, from Le Bec Fin fame. Wonderful stuff. Just lovely.

Here is an article about Bennett from the Philadelphia Inquirer, written after he decided to leave the bakery behind.

Hi Eileen,

Have you been to Miel recently? I was there just a few weeks ago for the first time since Chef Bennett left, and was underwhelmed by the quality. I'm curious to hear whether you've noted any drop-off in quality as well, or whether it was a fluke.

To Ohmyganache -- as a Philadelphian, I'm completely psyched about your new store! Do keep us posted!

Edited by RuthWells (log)

Ruth,

I haven't been backsince Bobby left. Sorry to hear the quality is flagging. I will have to make a point to try it again - after I am off this silly diet! :wink:

Eileen

edited by Eileen to correct typo.

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

You may wish to contact the original TM owner and ask them for rights to use the name. You are geographically very separated from one another (very little liklihood of competition between one another), and may have very different businesses (in fact, if so different, the trade mark may not be m eaningful. For example, Hershey's is obviously trademarked, and most people associate it with chocolate. There are, however, Hershey's dairy, Hershey's Ice Cream, Hershey's construction, etc - all w/in a short distance of the chocolate company.)

Don't give up so readily - you may have other options 8-)

Given that Cold Stone Creamery has 10 stores open or opening in the Philadelphia area, I'd guess the chances are low, unless they trademarked this for an ice cream they're no longer interested in selling.

Could be. Point is that you don't know until you ask. Look at a Hershey Pa phone book sometime and see how many different business types have the name "hershey" 8-)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

So use: Oh My Ganache Pastry or dessert or bakery or baking company

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Could be. Point is that you don't know until you ask.  Look at a Hershey Pa phone book sometime and see how many different business types have the name "hershey" 8-)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

The fact that Hershey is both a surname and a geographical location puts it in an entirely different category under trademark law.

Keeping the ganache name is spoiling for an (expensive) fight... unless they'll agree to your use of it for baked goods only (and nothing like ice cream anytime ever!!!!!). Not very likely, unfortunately. But it couldn't hurt to ask...

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch