• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dine Out Refugees

Not everyone is going to want to deal with the time-limits, the crowds, and the overall madness of the next two weeks.

I'm looking for restaurants of laudible calibre that aren't doing Dine Out. Help a brother out?

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The Grammercy Grill is doing a regular menu and a prix fix for all of January. It is my neighbourhood haunt and the service and food is really top notch now. There was a big piece in Alive Magazine on them recently. Young chef, award winning bartenders, the possibility of running into me! What more could you want.

Happy dining!

Cassandra

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

I am so in agreement with you Andrew. While I have enjoyed the DOV experience in the past I realize that I prefer to dine when I am not so acutely aware that someone wants my table, I have to go to extreme lengths to secure a table and less coordination is required to check each restaurant's menus to see whether I am intersested in the menu they are offering and then the mad scramble to secure a reservation at a time that makes sense.

We dine out regularly and I really don't think we are the target audience for DOV. So we will be resting quietly at home and enjoying the experiences of others via eG. I am sure the rest of you will help us discover some new gems which we will visit at a time that suits and sample the full menu.

But please don't misunderstand me - I know that DOV has a place and is a great chance for both diners and restaurants. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Karole

My knee-jerk reaction would be a list of izakaya restaurants: Hapa Izakaya, all three Guu locations and Yuji's Japanese Tapas on West 4th.

There's Baru Latino too, as well as Pair Bistro.

Don't forget about The Pear Tree. Was just there on Saturday night... the new space is gorgeous. Scott Jaeger and his BOH crew were firing on all cylinders.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Are DOV Participants only Vancouver restaurants (or is that too obvious to even mention). What clicked on my light switch was the mention of Le Regalade up stream. I also checked - and Pear Tree is not listed on DOV.

So this would seem like a great time for DOV Refugees to try places that are out of the Westside/Downtown orbit of things. Chinese restaurants in Richmond, the Pear Tree in Burnaby, or L'Aubgerge in Surrey(?) (Okay - I will be the first one to admit that there is no way I would cross the Portman for a meal).

BTW - Gyu Izakaya is listed as a DOV participating restaurant.

Are DOV Participants only Vancouver restaurants (or is that too obvious to even mention). What clicked on my light switch was the mention of Le Regalade up stream.  I also checked - and Pear Tree is not listed on DOV.

No there are restaurants from the 'burbs - e.g. the Boathouse has all their locations listed. But I agree that there are fewer from outside the Vancouver core. This is a good opportunity to try something different. I'm going to La Regalade on the weekend.

Others not DOVing: Fiction, Lucy Mae Brown, Senova, Tapastree, Central Bistro, Tojo's, Cafe de Medici, Beach Side Cafe, Banana Leaf, Fiddlehead Joe's, Ocean 6 Seventeen and probably many, many more.

Cheers,

Anne

Others not DOVing: Fiction, Lucy Mae Brown, Senova, Tapastree, Central Bistro, Tojo's, Cafe de Medici, Beach Side Cafe, Banana Leaf, Fiddlehead Joe's, Ocean 6 Seventeen and probably many, many more.

Oops - Caffe de Medici is in DOV. I spelled it wrong too.

Cheers,

Anne

Oops - Caffe de Medici is in DOV. I spelled it wrong too.

I believe Central Bistro is also DOV-ing

**Melanie**

I know Yoshi's doesn’t have a DOV menu, even though they wanted to. But I bet they will be more then happy to have you. Ask for Phillip, if you want awesome service.

Edited by D90 (log)

Just to collate what's been mentioned so far:

Banana Leaf

Baru Latino

Beach Side Café

Bins 941 & 942

Bishop's

Cioppino's

Fiction

Fiddlehead Joe's

Grammercy Grill

Guu (all 3)

Hapa Izakaya

La Regalade

Le Crocodile

Lucy Mae Brown

Mistral Bistro

Ocean 6 Seventeen

Pair Bistro

Pear Tree

Saveur

Senova

Tapastree

Tojo's

Vij's

Yoshi's

Yuji's Japanese Tapas

That's more restaurants than I thought. There are some great choices in that list.

Edited by chrisstearns (log)

Just to collate what's been mentioned so far:

L'Aubgerge (Surrey)

That's more restaurants than I thought. There are some great choices in that list.

Chris, do you perhaps mean La Belle Auberge in Ladner?

Restaurant's annual closure notice.

La Belle Auberge Restaurant will be closed from January 1st 2006 until January 27th 2006 for our annual up-keeping and renovation. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Add Browns (both locations).

In researching for the column, the best quote I've heard came from one of the Izakaya's:

"Most of our diners are overseas students with average checks of $24. When we ask them about Dine Out they say the same thing: 'What's Dine Out?'".

:laugh:

Andrew Morrison

Have you tried Diner,on Hamilton St.  ?  a new favourite for us ...  right, we're the chef, the vegan, the gluten intolerant, and the famously picky .... that's right , there's four of us, and we try to go out together...

Diner has been fun for all of us. Sparky comfort food.

It's been discussed pretty extensively here: Diner - Yaletown thread

Cheers,

Anne

Have you tried Diner,on Hamilton St. ? a new favourite for us ... right, we're the chef, the vegan, the gluten intolerant, and the famously picky .... that's right , there's four of us, and we try to go out together...

Diner has been fun for all of us. Sparky comfort food.

That's funny, I was just on the phone with the owner about Dine Out (also not taking part).

Update: neither is Stella's on Commercial.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

La Belle Auberge Restaurant will be closed from January 1st 2006 until January 27th 2006 for our annual up-keeping and renovation. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

I guess -- I was just re-posting what someone had mentioned above. I'll take it off the list -- thanks.

I guess -- I was just re-posting what someone had mentioned above. I'll take it off the list -- thanks.

That was me - guilty of bad information :sad: