• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer in America

tighe

If you are interested in beer at a deeper level than when your next opportunity is going to be to pour one down you gullet, try to get your hands on the July issue of American Heritage. The feature article is about the history of beer and beer making in the US. I think its very well done and interesting. It also includes Michael Jackson's (the beer critic, not the freak show) Top 10 American Beers list. I've only had 3 of them, so the quest begins.......

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The German Benedictine monks in western Pennsylvania (1846) built a brewery at Saltsburg, and another at Latrobe. By the time the local bishop forced the sale of the enterprise, the monks supplied the libations for wholesalers west of the Allegheny mountains. In general, most German, Swiss and Bohemian monasteries in the US brewed for local use into the 20th century.

The current Rolling Rock brewery derives its roots from the Latrobe business.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 month later...

It would be seriously difficult to narrow beer down to a favorite top ten! I have had several on his list that I don't think are worthy of top ten status. He is missing some of the best beers in the world like: Chimay, Guinness, Traquair House ale, Thomas Hardy Ale, etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

Anybody out there have a favorite bar in the north NJ area?

I'm asking for places with quality beer; where people love suds and anybody at the bar knows the difference between lager and ale.

Suggestions?

Thanks!