• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Transporting Pastries: Tips & Techniques

Amuse Bouche

I'm thinking that the design of those sock/stocking drawer organizer inserts that they sell in stores like Bed Bath and Beyond might also work. They are notched plastic strips that interlock. I think that they're basically the same design that is used to separate glass bottles for cartons shipped to grocery stores.

example of sock organizer

Perhaps you could make your own out of cardboard strips.

jayne

Hmm... just realized that my suggestion is basically the same as what Jeni was saying above.

Edited by jaynesb (log)

Maybe a 1 inch thick piece of the foam board cut to fit the cake box and then mark the bottom of the muffin pan with....butter or icing or something and press it on to leave an impression of the bottom. Then you can cut out the circles.....you could use it for a template and make plenty.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Well if you got it all figured out math-wise, you could thread white string through evenly spaced little holes in the cardboard bakery type boxes. Dip the end of the string in wax to make it threadable. Or even thread it through a needle with a big head. ??? Going both ways to criss cross & hold securely--you just have to do the math.  Just a wild random thought. It really wouldn't be that hard though.

'Member back in the old days when all baked goods would be wrapped up in white string??????

I think you've got something here... maybe using rubberbands around a cupcake wrapper high container to create a criss cross of rubber bands? I'm thinking these could create the dividers for cupcakes to sit within. :hmmm:

I've made individual cupcake holders that have survived a 120mi motorcycle trek. I took basic clear 12 oz plastic cups (like what coffee shops give you your ice coffee in), and sawed off the bottom, up a centimeter. Drop your frosted cupcake in, and with the bottom removed, you can push it out via the bottom. This method works well for intricately designed and frosted cupcakes as the cups are conical shaped. The cupcake sinks down and is protected at the top. Would it be too crazy to do this for a whole batch of cupcakes? Maybe...

image made for cupcake holder :

gallery_36048_2400_1937.jpg

Or, get slabs of foam from an upholstery store cut to fit in a cardboard box. Have circles cut out for the cup cakes to nestle in.

flavor floozy

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Now I'll have to figure out which is easiest and most cost effective. I really like the 1" foam board idea. Then I could choose the spacing and I could probably punch out the holes with a round cookie cutter. They for sure wouldn't bump, tip over or moosh into each other.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Not terribly practical for mass transport of cupcakes but cute: Cup-a-Cake!

I really like that idea of creating a foam board tray. I also think you could take poster board, draw out your circles and cut an X. Then stick the cupcake through the X - kinda like a drink holder thing. I'm not sure if I'm describing this right but hopefully you can picture it... :unsure:

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

CanadianBakin'

I found these cupcake carriers at Kitchen Krafts.  The ones I am talking about are the first and third item on the page.  I haven't bought them yet, but they are pretty reasonably priced at look like they would work well.

Kitchen Krafts

Those look great! I think I'll order one set and see how they work. If I like them then I'll get more to have on hand. Thanks so much!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had another cupcake job come up yet so I don't have an answer for you yet. I appreciate the question though as I meant to order some cupcake inserts from KitchenKraft to try them. What I like best is the plastic clamshell packages at icingmagic.com but I can't see needing 100 anytime soon so I'll try the inserts instead.

I have a couple of the plastic dome type -the 3-in-one cake/cupcake carriers. I paid more for mine because I didn't know they were available at Kitchen Krafts. I got them from Brylane. Since two holds 48 cupcakes or muffins, they are fine for me. I rarely make more than that, or at least that have to be transported.

The dome is high enough there was even room for the little plastic ornaments I put in each cupcake - Shamrocks, since it was last year for St. Paddy's day.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

there was a guy at the fancy food show who had cupcake trays he said one could bake cakes in and then transport them. if memory serves me he said they were 22 cents each. i will look through my pile and see if i can find his info.

there was a guy at the fancy food show who had cupcake trays he said one could bake cakes in and then transport them.  if memory serves me he said they were 22 cents each.  i will look through my pile and see if i can find his info.

Ooo... I hope you find his info. I'm interested in checking those out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I've Finally gone through the stuff I brought home from the Fancy Food and found a one page flyer for a company in Wisconsin called Coextruded Plastic Technologies. www.cptplastics.com

Here's the thing, I can't find the cupcake thingers on the website. I know this is the company (there's no other reason for this flyer in my bag) but perhaps those of you needing cupcake thingers should call or email them?

608-884-2244

Sorry, I thought I was going to be of more help.

• 2 years later...

Increasingly I'm finding myself transporting cakes, pies, and all sorts of pastries. I'm always concerned about cleanliness, but also maintaining temps (mousses, etc.). My biggest problem is packing the pastry in a way that I can transport it when many of my items are odd shapes and sizes. Also they typically end up in my car seat or on the floor of my front passenger seat. Neither surface is flat, and I live in the mountains with many hills. Heaven forbid a light turns red on me.

Any tips?