• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finally had a chance to snag dinner at Fork.

Had the Lobster salad (major YUM) and General Tso's Sweetbreads :laugh:

which were also major yummy.

Entrees were the BBQ duck and the Pork Confit. I really liked the duck & especially its sides (the polenta!) and the Pork Confit was tender & really tasty but the red cabbage with apple cider vinegar just isn't my bag. Nothing wrong with it at all, just not a flavor I'm wild about.

Too full for dessert, among which was a PB & J cake...! Sorta sorry we didn't try that.

I loved it, I'll be back.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 4 weeks later...

went last night with Della and Greg and had a wonderful meal.

first off we learned that the murals came with the place and they are actually a historical 'landmark' and Fork had them restored.

The menu has changed a lot from what I read others have had. no lobster corn dogs but Dayne found maybe the best starter to replace it- peppered gougeres with hunks of blue cheese and slices of grapes in a port sauce. I had the duck confit and goat cheese tart, greg had the smoked trout which came with little belini and fixins and della had a frissee salad with a beautiful poached egg, bacon strip and little slices of potatoes.

entrees ordered were braised short ribs with gnocci and favas, the 50/50 poulet and the bbq duck with polenta and brussel sprouts.

we skipped dessert. the prices were pretty good, reminded me of similar prices at Lark. The restaurant was full, our service was a bit spotty. they ran out of martini glasses and dayne's drink was served in a wine glass. fine but I expected them to comp that which they didn't. the chive and cheddar biscuits are indeed excellent. we'll go again definately.

• 1 month later...

My turn.

We had a lovely dinner Sunday. The room has a great glow from the murals and the evening light. I didn't find the food too challenging, though there were a few surprises.

Loved the little biscuits.

Profitteroles with blue cheese were much more like beignets. Not a bad thing, but these were fried and sweet, not baked - and peppery (as identified.) Abundant too.

I liked the scallops (not earth shattering), but the beans ran too sweet - more like fancy baked beans than clean flageolet beans I would have preferred. Maple syrup perhaps.

Pork belly - oh yeah.

Of the desserts - I think the steamed lemon pudding was the keeper.

All in all, right there with Zoe for food and ambiance (though the after dinner treat was a dense tiny poundcake that wasn't very good) and way above Boat Street for me. I don't think I mentioned that I found Boat Street filling, but not satisfying. Interesting, but lacking heart (which is what I thought it was supposed to be all about.)

I guess I'm the exception in thinking that Fork is "fine." The food was good, but not surprisingly so. The service was decent, but totally inept when it comes to wine. Our server, when asked, told me that the wine of the day was from the winery "Villages." I might give it one more try, or maybe not.

Our server, when asked, told me that the wine of the day was from the winery "Villages."

You're f-ing kidding me?? :blink::laugh: As in something like Cotes du Rhone Villages? I would have fallen out of my chair!

I really liked the food a lot when I went, but our server didn't quite rise to the occaision. It's unclear to me what level of experience the restaurant is trying to achieve. The concept is, in many cases, at a very high level, but there still seems to be one foot in the homey-ness of BOB, including the service. All that said, there were a couple things I ate at Fork that were amazing.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Our server, when asked, told me that the wine of the day was from the winery "Villages."

You're f-ing kidding me?? :blink::laugh: As in something like Cotes du Rhone Villages? I would have fallen out of my chair!

Or Beaujolais Villages? :rolleyes:

That's too bad Abra. We've been there several times and have only had wonderful food and service! :sad:

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

I guess I'm the exception in thinking that Fork is "fine."  The food was good, but not surprisingly so.  The service was decent, but totally inept when it comes to wine.  Our server, when asked, told me that the wine of the day was from the winery "Villages."  I might give it one more try, or maybe not.

You may be the exception, but you're not alone! I also found the food "good, but not surprisingly so." I don't mean to trash the place by saying this, as it's quite possible that my expectations were just unrealistically high. I went about a month ago, and while I really liked the duck confit appetizer----generous duck confit with tons of goat cheese in a tart, I'm not sure how that could go wrong---the entrees (steak with parsley spaetzle, bread pudding) just seemed good rather than great. Can't remember the dessert, which isn't a good sign. Oh, wait, it was the Mexican Napoleon, and actually very good. Anyway, I went in expecting a playful menu and some amazing bites of food, and left thinking while everything was perfectly fine, it wasn't anything I would repeat the drive across town for. I had the feeling that the restaurant hadn't quite settled on its identity yet---whether to be another upscale bistro, or to try for something a little more distinctive (I had expected the latter). For the price, I'd visit someplace like Lark or Le Pichet instead.

We had an interesting wine experience too. They turned out to be out of what we ordered, so the waitress brought out something different and more expensive. She offered it to us at a bit of a discount, and we would have felt like cheapstakes not taking her up on it, but it did still end up being more money than we'd planned on. We ended up enjoying the wine--a Syncline Syrah, I think----and the money was no big deal, but the whole transaction did feel a little funny.

BradS

• 3 weeks later...

Say it ain't so! Fork is closing due to Scott Simpson's health problems (according to the P.I.)

I had really hoped to make it one of my stops the next time I was in town.

All the best Scott, in a quick return to form.

Say it ain't so! Fork is closing due to Scott Simpson's health problems (according to the P.I.)

I had really hoped to make it one of my stops the next time I was in town.

All the best Scott, in a quick return to form.

Wow, that blows. I feel really bad for Scott, given all the work he's put into creating such a special place, not to mention health problems. Given the chef co-op concept, I'm surprised they couldn't keep things going. Get better soon Scott.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946