• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner in Greenville...

morda

Hi all--

I'm trying to arrange a dinner this weekend in Greenville with some friends. We've been to 33 Liberty several times and love it, but my friends want to try a different restaurant. They've suggested Devereaux's. I've read a bit about it and it seems worth a try, although I'm a bit worried that it's on the very expensive side, rather than the somewhat expensive side.

So I guess my questions are: Is Devereaux's a good choice? How expensive is it? And does anyone have any other worthier suggestions for a nice dinner out with friends? It can be any type of food (not just Southern or continental), as long as the restaurant is somewhere between very nice and upscale.

TIA!

This is one which I might answer with suggestions about Soby's, Latitudes, and the Augusta Grill, Cafe Bergamo, or Peter David's ... since Liberty 33 would have been my Number One choice, these are also worth considering ...

Options include:

the ten best fine dining options listed here ...

Soby's

Peter David's Restaurant

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks, GG. Yes, normally 33 Liberty would be my first choice (or sushi at Sushi Koji). I had seen the link from some other discussions and Devereaux's is on the list. Should I take its exclusive from your list of suggestions to mean that you think the others are better choices?

Since I don't live in Greenville and have a close, food-oriented, friend who does, I often rely upon his recommendations and advice ...

I did finally locate the website for Devereaux's and it looks to be quite elegant. You might wish to look over their menu. The dishes appear to be upscale but nothing particularly difficult or excitingly creative ... here one has to look to 33 Liberty for something unique ... even Soby's has been known to serve a "store bought" potato salad, I hear ... :huh:

while Peter David's has been reported to appeal to an older, wealthier crowd and tends to serve food from the Fifties, so to speak ...

I do not know if La Boheme is still open but they were very good. Liz Minetta was the chef at Seven Oaks during its brief period as a cutting edge restaurant (it has since closed for more reasons than I can list). She opened La Boheme and we enjoyed it immensely. The food was excellent--cutting edge w/o being frightening. The service was good and the ambience was okay for an office park. It was always a toss up as to whether or not we visited Culinary Capers (now 33 Liberty) or La Boheme when in G'ville. I hope either La Boheme is still open or Liz is twirling her toque and doing a great job some where as she is very talented.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

thx Melissa; that was fast!

I am glad to know that they are still going strong. We will have to make a trip over there but then we wind up w/ the classic dilemma: 33 Liberty or La Boheme? We might have to stay two nights. ":^)

the best cat ever.

Sorry folks but La Boheme has been gone for perhaps 18 months. That space has hosted 3 restaurants since Liz left La Boheme and is presently a simple steak place called Justin's.

Liz cooks at Northampton Wine Cafe. She is the sous chef under Johannes de Bondt, brother of owner Richard De Bondt.

Devereaux's is very, very good, even bordering on exquisite. Much more refined and polished than anything else in town...and I mean anything...even that 33 Liberty joint. :laugh:

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

thx for the information John. If you see Liz tell her a refugee fr/ Anthony's / Seven Oaks says hello. We need to get up to Greenville and see you some time in the near future unless we get lured in to this Devereaux' place.

btw, where is it located? & where is the restaurant where Liz is working?

the best cat ever.

this Devereaux' place.  btw, where is it located?

The website, if you scroll up to my post, you'll see that Devereaux is in an old (1902) cigar factory in downtown Greenville ... 25 East Court Street on Olde Town Square.

this Devereaux' place.  btw, where is it located?

The website, if you scroll up to my post, you'll see that Devereaux is in an old (1902) cigar factory in downtown Greenville ... 25 East Court Street on Olde Town Square.

sorry Melissa.

I will start paying attention in class

I will start paying attention in class......

the best cat ever.