• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Room 4 Dessert

Bond Girl

Will has a graphic designer working in pastry. I caught them updating the menu the other day when I stopped by to wish him luck. It appears as if they were able to reuse much of what was there in the design of the place and get in quickly, but there's nothing that looks as if it was rushed about the decor and nothing looks as if they tried to get by cheaply.

Esilda and I stopped in for dessert this evening. Desserts were excellent, and, as has been mentioned, very well thought out and worked out. That brioche was among the best I've ever had. There's real solid old fashioned expertise behind what they're doing. For what it's worth, we chose different pairings than the ones recommended and loved the parings we chose. For Esilda, it was the Aussie semillion with the apple/white chocolate margarita and the moscatel jerez with the brioche/nolitella plat du jour for me. The banyuls should be an even better match, but I wanted to try the wine I had.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think Will, Stephan and Laurent (let us not forget the two guys who came up with the idea for the dessert bar in the first place) have a lot more to worry about these days than trying to buils a website without Emilie-the brilliant graphic designer that did all the graphics for the restaurant.

But, if anyone out there who would like to do it and maintain it for free, please call them.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

considering that it's only 3 blocks from my apartment it is a shame I didn't make it here until last night. I wasn't hungry so I only had a taste of my friend's "A Voyage to India"....involving some mango concoction, creamed or milled coconut (best combined with the mango) and some version of a chocolate panna cotta...it seemed terrific.

I had a couple glasses of a fine sherry (quite off-dry)....but the real pleasure was simply the conversation with Will & co. it really is a pleasant place for a drink, not only dessert (I don't have a sweet tooth anyway).

It really is a pleasant space. That may largely be due to Will and the staff. It seems every one connected with the place is well suited to the hospitality industry, or at least possessed of a sunny disposition. More than that perhaps, they're enthusiastic about what they're doing and it's contagious. Everything I've had so far is worth recommending.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

It really is a pleasant space. That may largely be due to Will and the staff. It seems every one connected with the place is well suited to the hospitality industry, or at least possessed of a sunny disposition. More than that perhaps, they're enthusiastic about what they're doing and it's contagious. Everything I've had so far is worth recommending.

I couldn't agree with that more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Single ladies out there, listen up! Bob Truitt, Will's extremely pulchritudinous chef de cuisine, is up for auction for Valentine's day. The winning bidder will get dinner and desserts personally cooked by Bob. For those not in the know, young Bob's experience includes Pasion and Morimoto in Philadelphia. Starting bid is $200. Contact the restaurant for more info.

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

If they auction off the tall slender waitress with the French accent and the wavey black hair, I'M THERE.

(If she's married to one of the owners or something, I'm only kidding.)

(If she isn't, ignore the previous parenthetical.)

There's a whole line ahead of you. Prescilla is the coolest. She's not only a fashion Model and Mixologist Extraordinaire, she's getting her masters in history. She's got it all: beauty and brain and the nicest presonality around.

. . . . She's not only a fashion Model and Mixologist Extraordinaire, she's getting her masters in history. She's got it all: beauty and brain and the nicest presonality around.

I think that's what Sneakeater and I have been trying to say. Everyone connected with the place strikes me as having the ability to be someplace else earning a pile of money doing something the rest of our society thinks is more important than working in a dessert bar. In turn, a small subsection of our society gets to feel privileged by appreciating that and enjoying the craft, service and camaraderie on our side of the bar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 2 weeks later...

From the Web Designer of R4D:

Saw the posting up on the eG Forums about room 4 dessert not having a web presence yet - just wanted to let you know that I posted up some photography, etc. that Emilie had done a while back of Will, the space and such. Also, I added the address and number for people looking for it. As far as I know, there's no plans to build up that site at the moment but I'll keep you posted if there's any happenings.

I've been working with Will on the new Akwa site that will be launching very soon...

I would have posted all this on the forums, but it seems that I'm a GENERAL member not a PARTICIPAting member - very little time to write an essay ; )

Apple tasting with the apple tatin sorbet to die for.

I really want to try this one... a bunch of us went a couple of nights ago and surprisingly nobody ordered this one. The already-mentioned "voyage to India" was a huge hit.

What a great place... can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu. I am very curious to see how this place will evolve and how what they offer will change with the seasons.

Arley Sasson

I've been to R4D twice with some colleagues, and the service at this establishment was top-notch. I told both Will and Laurent that R4D was the only dessert place in NYC that had that level of friendliness and professionalism, while maintaining the chill ambience. Supposedly, they're open for a "happy-hour" during the week, something I will definitely take part of soon! I'll report that shortly :wink:

I was down in N.J. for a couple of nights with my family to visit my FIL and after a homemade dinner Ednesday evening hoofed it into the city to check out R4D. The place and desserts are every bit as cool as has been described here. I believe Will has a winner here. The location is great, the atmosphere warm and the desserts and beverages superb. It is also tres cool that R4D is selling items like their teas and things like calcium chloride and sodium alginate that not good hypermodern kitchen should be without.

Congratulations, Akwa and best wishes! I'll be back.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I love how they're selling calcium chloride and sodium alginate. It's rather difficult to find that stuff without sifting through obscure health-food websites. I haven't had the opportunity to try R4D, but I applaud them for merely offering said products.

I love how they're selling calcium chloride and sodium alginate.  It's rather difficult to find that stuff without sifting through obscure health-food websites.  I haven't had the opportunity to try R4D, but I applaud them for merely offering said products.

Will is selling Alginate and Calcium Chloride???

That's above & beyond the call of duty, eh?

Awesome :cool:

2317/5000

I love how they're selling calcium chloride and sodium alginate.  It's rather difficult to find that stuff without sifting through obscure health-food websites.  I haven't had the opportunity to try R4D, but I applaud them for merely offering said products.

Indeed he is and in reasonably sized packages.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm going to have to see if I can do a mail order.

As BryanZ points out, both items are kind of hard and a pain to track down online or elsewhere.

2317/5000

I'm going to have to see if I can do a mail order.

As BryanZ points out, both items are kind of hard and a pain to track down online or elsewhere.

with pleasure

wg

Isn't calcium chloride the salt they put on roads to prevent icing?

calcium chloride

It is a salt but dissolves in water, at least in my experience.

As far as withstanding heat, I only used it in cold or room temp desserts or appetizers ( we came up with an apple/cucumber juice ravioli for a cerviche too).

2317/5000