• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Room 4 Dessert

Bond Girl

went to R4D last night...totally disappointing.

I had the Ice/Ice which was basically a cream custard filled with (not enough) espresso syrup. then topped with a passionfruit jelly and "basil seed caviar", which is basil seed suspended in jelly--available anywhere in Chinatown. on top of that was some coffee sabayon. all served in a martini glass. $14, not worth it

wife had the RED. Raspberry Bread, which was sort of freeze dried rasberry merengue--think astronaut food, but served in the bag--eww. Beet sorbet, yawn. vanilla cream in red wine sauce--delicious, but not red. and a hibiscus vodka jelly with basil buds on top--buds tasted just like pot. must of been what Goldfarb was smoking when he conceived of it.

overall, the service was not great, as mentioned in many posts above. I asked for a machiato, and my server had no idea what it was. he asked someone else and eventually brought me a cappucino. whatever. chef goldfarb hovered creepily over us while we ate and generally kinda freaked me out.

$64 bucks in total--totally not worth it.

MUCH prefer Sam Mason's desserts and can't wait for his new space to open!!

went to R4D last night...totally disappointing.

I had the Ice/Ice which was basically a cream custard filled with (not enough) espresso syrup.  then topped with a passionfruit jelly and "basil seed caviar", which is basil seed suspended in jelly--available anywhere in Chinatown.  on top of that was some coffee sabayon.  all served in a martini glass. $14, not worth it

wife had the RED.  Raspberry Bread, which was sort of freeze dried rasberry merengue--think astronaut food, but served in the bag--eww.  Beet sorbet, yawn.  vanilla cream in red wine sauce--delicious, but not red.  and a hibiscus vodka jelly with basil buds on top--buds tasted just like pot.  must of been what Goldfarb was smoking when he conceived of it.

overall, the service was not great, as mentioned in many posts above.  I asked for a machiato, and my server had no idea what it was.  he asked someone else and eventually brought me a cappucino.  whatever.  chef goldfarb hovered creepily over us while we ate and generally kinda freaked me out.

$64 bucks in total--totally not worth it.

MUCH prefer Sam Mason's desserts and can't wait for his new space to open!!

agreed on the price of the cocktails and the service, both crap.

but i liked the raspberry 'bread' even though there's nothing 'bready' about it. personally, i don't think that receiving things in pouches and jars do anything to add to my experience. but as for the bread itself, it was so intensely flavored for something that looked like a dry crusty sponge, i really enjoyed it.

also didn't like that the cheese was precut and refrigerated. if goldfarb's rule of thumb is to make the customer wait as long as they have to for a good dish, it wouldn't hurt too cut the cheese to order.

i just said cut the cheese, ha.

I tried R4D yesterday and while I did enjoy it I felt that it did not meet my expectations ( I expected the place to be more like Finale in Boston). When my wife and I arrived, the place was packed and I appreciated them making an effort to fit us in even though we did not have a reservation. My first dissappoinment was with the menu. I found it to be quite limited and felt obliged to choose an item I wasn't too excited about trying. I ordered the chocolate dessert for my wife and I chose the PACK (which I recall consisted of a pistachio cake, cherry jam, apricot sorbet, and something else I can not recall). While my dessert didn't do anything for me, my wife's chocolate dessert was excellent (especially the chocolate cake with olive oil and salt - something I would never think to order). I concur with the previous post about the spotty service. It took quite a while to get our desserts. All in all, I enjoyed the place and would recommend it more to foodie friends.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I can't say specifically. (Remember that they don't really have "items" here, but rather a set of combination platters -- and that each of the four items on each combination platter usually is itself pretty complicated.) All I can say is that, off the intial menu, I always had a hard time deciding which plate I wanted, whereas off the current menu I sort of have to force myself to get anything but the chocolate plate.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I never ate from the first menu, but from what I read, i looked way less conceptual/heady. The current menu requires alot of though, wheras something like "voyage to India" as pretty much a no-bainer.

Although I immensley enjoyed my one and only experience at R4D, I would describe the food as interesting more than delicious. IMO thats totally valid though, and a very worthwhile experience.

I never ate from the first menu, but from what I read, i looked way less conceptual/heady. The current menu requires alot of though, wheras something like "voyage to India" as pretty much a no-bainer.

Although I immensley enjoyed my one and only experience at R4D, I would describe the food as interesting more than delicious. IMO thats totally valid though, and a very worthwhile experience.

unfortunately i would have to characterize my visit as barely interesting and not very delicious. bummer.

hello

thanks everyone for the feedback

we are always trying to improve

i am disappointed to learn about service and food issues, especially as it seems to be a recent trend.

we have actually been incredibly busy the last four weeks, 50% more than in our previous month, which had been our best. Our personnel, including myself is adjusting to the dramatically increased demand, in addition to a replacement at the bar and dish positions. though the situation may not be ideal, it is very real.

we are doing our best to take care of as many people as possible, and obviously sometimes we fail.

despite the media frenzy, we are still just a dessert bar.

we have a new menu today, and i invite any of the newly disgruntled masses to swing by for dessert from me.

we appreciate the support of the online community and are glad to see the continued interest in our little place; my only hope is that we can make even more people happier as we move forward.

best regards and happy eating

will goldfarb

hello

thanks everyone for the feedback

we are always trying to improve

i am disappointed to learn about service and food issues, especially as it seems to be a recent trend.

we have actually been incredibly busy the last four weeks, 50% more than in our previous month, which had been our best.  Our personnel, including myself is adjusting to the dramatically increased demand, in addition to a replacement at the bar and dish positions.  though the situation may not be ideal, it is very real.

we are doing our best to take care of as many people as possible, and obviously sometimes we fail.

despite the media frenzy, we are still just a dessert bar.

we have a new menu today, and i invite any of the newly disgruntled masses to swing by for dessert from me.

we appreciate the support of the online community and are glad to see the continued interest in our little place; my only hope is that we can make even more people happier as we move forward.

best regards and happy eating

will goldfarb

Will - Thank you for acknowledging our constructive criticism. You obviously are quite talented and your dessert bar has a large amount of potential. I will definitely give you another shot.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

as a constructive (?) criticizer here, i too appreciate the sentiment from you, chef. after all, it is you putting it on the line every night...i am just eating it and commenting. one is clearly easier than the other. additionally, eG is one of the few places in the world where basil seeds are seen as too mainstream:)

congrats on your success, it is hard-earned. i just may be back to taste the new summer menu...

as a constructive (?) criticizer here, i too appreciate the sentiment from you, chef.  after all, it is you putting it on the line every night...i am just eating it and commenting.  one is clearly easier than the other.  additionally, eG is one of the few places in the world where basil seeds are seen as too mainstream:)

congrats on your success, it is hard-earned.  i just may be back to taste the new summer menu...

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Can't wait to get in again and check out the new menu. Happy to pay for it too, I think most criticisms here should be weighed against inordinary expectations. Service issues aside, that is.

After all this, I'm glad I have my 10:30 reservation for tomorrow evening.

Chef, I'm very fond of cheese for dessert, what would you recommend? And with a bottle of dessert wine as a kicker.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

First, let me wish eGullet a Happy 5th Birthday and since we share the same birthday, I will admit to being slightly older than that.

Went last evening after dinner at Craft (see that thread for comments) and had a terrific time, not the least of which were the conversations with Will and the lovely young lady who sat next to me and my wife.

I had the cheese course and it was outstanding - the most unique cheese presentation and choices I have ever seen. It went perfectly with an Auslese that we both had.

My wife ordered the Berry Beret and I was lucky to get one small taste of one type (there were three). It was rich, but not overly sweet and tasted as if the berries were just picked. This was the perfect way to end a terrific evening.

I was most impressed with Will. First, as soon as we sat down he came over and introduced himself and as soon as I said my name, he said cheese plate. I was very humbled he would remember. We spoke about the place, reviews, eGullet and a few other subjects. Toward the end he asked if I enjoyed bourbon. I said yes and he opened the bottle of the finest bourbon I vere the the pleasure of tasting. Since I was driving, I took two sips and my wife finished it.

About halfway through our 90-minute stay, two exquisite young ladies sat next to us and Will introduced them. The woman sitting next to me asked my eGullet name since she is quite familiar with the site, and we spoke about the NYC restaurant scene. She reads eGullet but does not post, is a food writer and has her own blog and is quite interesting. I will not reveal her name out of respect for her privacy, but I must say she is one of the most attractive women I have ever met.

During the evening, I noticed how efficient the place was designed and how meticulous and clean everything looked. It was crowded for the entire time we stayed (9:45 - 11:20) and everything ran smoothly. Will was doing yeoman work, but his help appeared most competent and didn't miss a step.

After I bought some of his egg white powder we left and began our drive to Staten Island. All in all a great experience and I will be back with friends.

Thanks Will.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

as a constructive (?) criticizer here, 

can you point out the constructive part because um, i'm not seeing it. i didn't get much of an idea of the food at all. flavor doesn't seem to figure into it too much.

all i learned from that was that you seem to be easily, perhaps perpetually bored, and have a strong preference for another chef you like to promote.

:rolleyes:

can you point out the constructive part because um, i'm not seeing it. i didn't get much of an idea of the food at all. flavor doesn't seem to figure into it too much.

all i learned from that was that you seem to be easily, perhaps perpetually bored, and have a strong preference for another chef you like to promote.

It DID kind of come off that way...

Was kind of needless (IMO) to hype Mason in that way since I think they're part of a sort of supportive community.

One other thing I'd like to add.

I never got the feelings from ANYTHING I've read, internet, print, mainstream, etc, that R4D had the slightest semblence to 'Finale'.

2317/5000

Was kind of needless (IMO) to hype Mason in that way since I think they're part of a sort of supportive community.

I never got the feelings from ANYTHING I've read, internet, print, mainstream, etc, that R4D had the slightest semblence to 'Finale'.

for what it's worth, i have no affiliation to any chef. i just didn't think r4d's flavors were worth the hype/cost. next time i'll try to be more constructive.

for what it's worth, i have no affiliation to any chef. i just didn't think r4d's flavors were worth the hype/cost. next time i'll try to be more constructive.

I, not freshherbs made the comment about Finale. While I don't dispute that neither articles nor posts compare the two establishment, since Finale was the only dessert restaurant that I had ever tried it was the sole reference point for which I could judge R4D. While I had thought that Finale had a better dessert selection, clearly R4D was more cutting edge and therefore had more potential.

I, not freshherbs made the comment about Finale. While I don't dispute that neither articles nor posts compare the two establishment, since Finale was the only dessert restaurant that I had ever tried it was the sole reference point for which I could judge R4D. While I had thought that Finale had a better dessert selection, clearly R4D was more cutting edge and therefore had more potential.

I have to say Finale is not even in the same league as R4D. IMO Finale serves "safe" desserts.

I knew it was your post, just trying to use less space...

2317/5000

hey, i'd still love to hear about the tastes because honestly, that's what matters the most to me.

i'm dying to hear about the new menu, too. anybody?

will? got any butterscotch/ toffee/ caramel/ brickle on there for me? it's the perfect flavor for autumn, you know.

just saying.

for what it's worth, i have no affiliation to any chef.  i just didn't think r4d's flavors were worth the hype/cost.  next time i'll try to be more constructive.