• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Room 4 Dessert

Bond Girl

I finally made it in.

I loved it.

Standouts:

-Grapefruit White Beer Sorbet. Extremely airy to the point I actually confused it for a foam. The best beer component I've ever had.

-Raspberry Bread. Like gormet Astronaut Ice Cream.

-Icee Icee Coffee (missing the mark on the name here): Contained an amazing "coffee puree", a technique that when explained to me set my mind into motion instantaniously.

Really the best thing about R4D, the great food aside, is the atmosphere. Everyone there was so damn nice, there were great books to flip through...very welcoming. I will be back often.

welcome to the fold sethro......

the raspberry bread is actually just dried meringue.

but so damn good.

glad you enjoyed.

please try the tequila lowrise next time. cassia infused tequila! what what!

"the soul contains three elements in dining: to feel, to remember, to imagine." --andoni luiz aduriz

welcome to the fold sethro......

the raspberry bread is actually just dried meringue.

but so damn good.

glad you enjoyed.

please try the tequila lowrise next time. cassia infused tequila! what what!

I did have the lowrise. When I see the words tequilla and basil together in one sentence I'm pretty much in there like swimwear.

I have to say for my tatses it was a tad bit sweet, and the basil only a whisper. Cool idea for a drink, but I think I could do with double the tequilla, tripple the basil and no casis.

My companions bergamot tea was off the hook though, and little touches like the hourglass timer are genius. I used to do creme brulees in your tea cups, btw!

Now open for Breakfast. For $6 you get a choice of OJ, orange soda, tea or coffee (or cafe in "R4D speak"), with Brioche, poundcake, or mini grilled cheese. If you are there in the mornings, go check it out.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Don't you think that R4D opening for breakfast is a bit odd? Are they THAT strapped for cash?

The feeling I got was that they were bursting at the seems with inspiration and wanted to venture out into other arenas besides dessert.

I felt it was more of a cacao sampaka influence.

Plus, normally the people who bake need to be there early, so why not make some people happy and make some money and turn some people on to your place that might not ever see it?

2317/5000

Don't you think that R4D opening for breakfast is a bit odd? Are they THAT strapped for cash?

seems to me to be a bit odd response for someone who is an aspiring restauranteur;

but we want to remain a neighborhood place, and being open only at nights with so much media can make you a bit of a tourist destination.

opening for breakfast makes us a part of the community.

also, as an mba student would be aware, the rent stays the same regardless of the hours of operation:

we are moving towards being a 24 hour revenue center, and we felt that the best use of our time and resources would be to offer an inexpensive starbucks alternative.

as far as production schedule and efficiency, it makes a great deal of sense to have a larger window of production. now our machine is working from 6a to 1a; not too bad for a team of one chef, one cook and one stagiare.

on a more abstract level, it also sets the stage for us to become an afternoon salon of ideas.

i would certainly appreciate your comments regarding breakfast to help us improve our quality of service.

best

wg

...but we want to remain a neighborhood place, ... a part of the community.

Before I was ever lured into 'fine dining', I had dreams of creating just this type of scenario- allowing you to not only be a different space for different people, but at the same time also growing within the confines of and perhaps truly defining the broader vision you opened with.

I only wish I lived closer. 'Tis a commute for my coffee...

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

also, as an mba student would be aware, the rent stays the same regardless of the hours of operation:

we are moving towards being a 24 hour revenue center, and we felt that the best use of our time and resources would be to offer an inexpensive starbucks alternative.

best

wg

This is where it's at for anyone who can these days, a 24 hour revenue center.

Always providing service, always making it work.

When you are closed, the internet is collecting orders, great stuff.

The menu looks good too, Will!

2317/5000

seems to me to be a bit odd response for someone who is an aspiring restauranteur;

but we want to remain a neighborhood place, and being open only at nights with so much media can make you a bit of a tourist destination.

as far as production schedule and efficiency, it makes a great deal of sense to have a larger window of production. now our machine is working from 6a to 1a; not too bad for a team of one chef, one cook and one stagiare.

on a more abstract level, it also sets the stage for us to become an afternoon salon of ideas.

i would certainly appreciate your comments regarding breakfast to help us improve our quality of service.

best

wg

Hi Will,

I did not mean any disrespect. In my experience, I've found that companies are successful when they stick to what they do best. For R4D, obviously its the desserts and the creativity. Venturing out into breakfast, while not infusing the ideals of the restaurant, just seems odd to me. When I hear that a business goes off into another area that doesn't seem to fit in line with its core competencies. a red flag goes up in my head. Because frankly, anyone could get a brioche, poundcake, or mini grilled cheese at any place around the city.

Edited by cchen (log)

a dougnut without a hole is ...

yes a danish.

ok so here it is if you eat chocolate chip pancakes for dinner have you commited a crime? ah no. if they are serving breakfast or breakfast pastries are they not just being smart? sure they could make a sign and call the place sweet somethings but really the name is clever enough and if they can sell a great product 24-7 great. if they are selling garbage then lets start complaining, till then, saddle up and enjoy.

A

Edited by twodogs (log)

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

best

wg

Hi Will,

I did not mean any disrespect. In my experience, I've found that companies are successful when they stick to what they do best. For R4D, obviously its the desserts and the creativity. Venturing out into breakfast, while not infusing the ideals of the restaurant, just seems odd to me. When I hear that a business goes off into another area that doesn't seem to fit in line with its core competencies. a red flag goes up in my head. Because frankly, anyone could get a brioche, poundcake, or mini grilled cheese at any place around the city.

But would it be as GOOD of a Brioche, etc.???

Fly a red flag when you start hearing bad shit ( and take that with a grain of salt), this is one of the most positive vibes around, no?

What twodogs said, yes!

2317/5000

If you pay attention to the product differentiation aspect of marketing in B-school, you would know that while you can get a brioche or a pancake anywhere, but at what quality and to who's taste? That's like saying you can get a piece of fish everywhere, why bother going to Oceana or Daniel for that...Or, a car is a car, there shouldn't be a difference between a porsche and a honda. Sorry....(from another columbia B school grad)

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

If you failed the product differentiation aspect of marketing in B-school, you would know that while you can get a brioche or a pancake anywhere, but at what quality and to who's taste?  That's like saying you can get a piece of fish everywhere, why bother going to Oceana or Daniel for that...Or, a car is a car, there shouldn't be a difference between a porsche and a honda. Sorry....(from another columbia B school grad)

That being said, I agree. I don't doubt they serve a superior product. But, at least from what I've read, there's nothing "Room 4 Dessert" about the breakfast, which is what I have a qualm about. Secondly, I am entering b-school in the fall, so stop being a jerk. Third, I only offered this as constructive criticism to R4D. I'm the last person who'd want to see R4D fail.

cchen, if you are looking for a "b-school plan" type analysis of a "dessert bar,"

perhaps the harvard business school proposal regarding a dessert bar would be an interesting read; available from the website, or you can browse it free here from my copy at a complimentary breakfast.

i hope that our positioning is as a service oriented establishment:

more and better service is always our target.

with regards to our ever evolving hours:

m-f 8a-1p

m-th 6p-12a

f-s 4p-1a

sun 2p-11p

its amazing i have time to respond but thanks for all the interest

you are helping to make the community

If you pay attention to the product differentiation aspect of marketing in B-school, you would know that while you can get a brioche or a pancake anywhere, but at what quality and to who's taste?  That's like saying you can get a piece of fish everywhere, why bother going to Oceana or Daniel for that...Or, a car is a car, there shouldn't be a difference between a porsche and a honda. Sorry....(from another columbia B school grad)

That being said, I agree. I don't doubt they serve a superior product. But, at least from what I've read, there's nothing "Room 4 Dessert" about the breakfast, which is what I have a qualm about. Secondly, I am entering b-school in the fall, so stop being a jerk. Third, I only offered this as constructive criticism to R4D. I'm the last person who'd want to see R4D fail.

There's nothing about R$D that says specialty product either, but chefs stop by there all the time just to pick up small quantities of things like sodium alginate...It's what we call alternate revenue stream. R4D like any smart small business understands the concept of diversifying your revenue stream. You will learn the importance of that in B-school, as well as other concepts like "Think outside the box" (which CBS, at least when I was there, champion). Michel Pham, if he still teaches there, offers an excellent class on Market and Porter's Five Principals. I strongly suggest that you check it out. But, this is not a thread about marketing dessert bars, so let's go back to talking about the food....

Those of you guys who hasn't had Will's ice coffee, go down there and check it out. There's also another concoction with squash blossoms that he made for Paul Liebrandt last night, go check that out too