• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Caarina

Chichilo Oaxaqueno

This weekend, I made Chichilo Oaxaqueno from Susana Trilling's book, Seasons of My Heart with chiles I brought back from Oaxaca. Unfortunately, I was flying blind here because Chichilo is one of the only moles I didn't try in Oaxaca.

The result was tasty, but I needed some culinary guidance on this one.

1) Any suggestions on how to burn those chile seeds? I felt like I needed the blow torch to really do it right because I had to go outside (child at home). There was quite a bit of wind so I couldn't get a good burn.

2) I'm not sure if the mole truly had the most authentic taste bc I couldn't get those seeds to burn properly. The tortilla was fully blackened, but maybe only a quarter of the seeds. The mole was not a dark brown, but more of a very dark red. (in shade between a mole coloradito and mole poblano)

Can anyone give me a proper color description of Chichilo or has anyone done a comparison with chichilo eaten in Oaxaca with their own version at home?

3) My DH is a vegetarian, and I used red potatoes, chayote, green beans and chochoyones in my stew (recommendations from Iliana de la Vega from El Naranjo). Pork and beef as well as vegetables are traditionally used in this stew type mole, but the vegetables alone were quite delicious. Any other suggestions on possible vegetable combinations with this mole? I'm thinking some nopales would be good too....

Thanks!

Caarina

Hi Caarina

Chichilo, my favorite of the 7 Oaxaqueno moles, and the one with the deepest, most sophisticated flavor profile :smile:

The last chichilo I had was in Oaxaca and it was a deep rusty red color. It sounds like you were close with the color. Burning the volatile oils off the chile seeds isn't that difficult, but it does require good ventilation. I've seen both Susanna Trilling and Abigail Mendoza do it and they basically used the same method, i.e. begin toasting on a comal, and then ignite the seeds with a match and allow the fire to burn out. Both burned their seeds outdoors.

I've had good luck toasting chile and chile seeds using a wok over the highest heat I can coax out of my poor old electric range. I didn't have to ignite them but discovered that the constant movement around a wok seemed to do the trick pretty well. The gag reflex kind of indicated that the volatile oils were being burned off. This really is something best done outside. Got propane? :laugh:

Hello. So glad to have you aboard. What fun.

I have made chichilo negro twice at home but have never had the chance to eat it in Oaxaca. Never seen it available.

I have used only the D. Kennedy recipe from her book, The Art of Mexican Cooking, but have both women's versions here in front of me. Trilling has the interesting addition of almonds and raisins, I would hasten to say that Kennedy's version is more rustic.

I used a cast iron skillet to blacken the tortillas and the seeds together. The trick is to just keep going, they will eventually turn black and then catch on fire.

Luckily, my back door in right off my kitchen, so I could let the flames just do their thing. I admit I'm happiest when I get to play with fire!

I think you could also achieve the same fire factor if you did the burning part of the recipe in a cast iron pan on top of your gas barbeque - if you have one.

Reading Trilling's recipe, the instructions are a bit vague as to how to proceed with the burning of the tortilla and the seeds. She does suggest igniting them, did you try that?

The Kennedy recipe describes charring the chilies as well, Trilling describes blistering them.

The colour of the resulting mole - the one I made - is dark, almost black, wonderfully earthy in flavour and really so amazing when you start thinking about, how did this recipe come about?

I made my mole with beef, but your ideas about serving it with green beans, chayote, potato and dumplings sounds wonderful - very mole amarillo. Nopales certainly would add another interesting texture to the stew.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks everybody for the great responses!

I think I was on target now, but next time, I will toast the seeds longer on my comal then move to ignite outside or simply put the fan on high and tell my hubby to take the kid for a walk. The wind was too brisk on Sunday and my matches wouldn't stay lit long enough to ignite the seeds. (went through 2 books of matches!)

I'm so glad the color was right! Frankly, after all that work, I would hope it would be somewhat authentic. Tasted good too! Had some leftovers a few moments ago. YUM.

Next time I will try DK's version. I read through it prior to trying Susana's version and I saw that DK recommended blackening the chiles as well as the seeds and tortilla. If I remember properly, she also didn't call for nearly the same amount of tomatoes (or raisins and almonds). I tend to prefer DK's recipes in almost all circumstances, and I always look for her version prior to trying any recipe.

Great! Look forward to new versions... Ricardo Munoz is someone I highly respect and admire...

Now that I've had time to think about this, I've heard rumour of a chichilo rojo - which could be the one from Ricardo Munoz or the one that Kalypso observed being made by Abagail.

Could there be three chichilos? Rojo, Negro and Oaxaqueno?

Now that I've had time to think about this, I've heard rumour of a chichilo rojo - which could be the one from Ricardo Munoz or the one that Kalypso observed being made by Abagail.

Could there be three chichilos? Rojo, Negro and Oaxaqueno?

As usually, I was responding a little to quickly and didn't exactly make myself clear :hmmm:

The Chichilo I ate was actually prepared by either Roberto Santibanez or Ricardo Munoz as part of a class I was taking at Casa Cerro Segrado.

The chile seeds that I watched Susanna Trilling and Abigail Mendoza burn off were for Black Mole. Same process, just a different mole.

In any event, the Chichilo and both Mole Negros were all awesome.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Henga
      Hi there! I am looking for a good Mexican cookbook. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    • By newchef
      I'm trying to make a Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Enchilada recipe and I don't know if the tomatillo cream sauce will be freezer-friendly.     Basically I process the following ingredients in a food processor to make the cream sauce.  I plan on freezing the sauce in ice-cube trays for individual servings.  The sauce will then be thawed and spread on a baking dish and also used to top the enchiladas and cook in a 400 degree oven.   Thanks!   INGREDIENTS:   -26 ounces canned tomatillos, drained -1 onion -1/2 cup cilantro leaves -1/3 cup vegetable broth -1/4 cup heavy cream -1 tbsp vegetable oil -3 garlic cloves -1 tbsp lime juice -1 tsp sugar -1 tsp salt
    • By Bhukhhad
      Breakfast in India vs Breakfast in our homes outside India
      My breakfasts have varied from the time I started to cook for myself instead of just enjoying my Mother’s cooking. At first they were a mix-match of meal fixings, or just dinner leftovers. Or the good old breakfast cereal and milk. But as the years passed and I was more organized, the meals I enjoyed in my Mother’s home began to swim in my memories. And I began to prepare those for my family. However, I am no amazonian chef, so depending on  the hectic nature of the days plans, I switched back and forth from convenience with taste, to elaborate and of course tasty breakfasts. We do have both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods but Indian breakfasts will mostly be vegetarian. 
      So here are some of the things I might make: 

1. Poha as in mostly ‘kande pohe’.
      2. Cheela/ Pudla
      3. Masala toast
      4. Indian Omelette
      5. Handwo piece
      6. Thepla
      7. Vaghareli rotli
      8. Dhokla chutney
      9. Idli sambhar
      10. Leftover sabji
      11. Muthiya
      12. Khakhra
      13. Upma
      14. Paratha

1. Kande Pohe: 
      The dish derives its name from Maharashtra where the Kande Pohe are celebrated as breakfast. They can of course like any breakfast, be eaten at any time. 
      Pohe/ Poha are steamed rice grains that have been beaten flat and then again redried. So they are like Rice flakes. Except they are hand pounded, so have a knobbly texture. 
      You get several varieties in the market. I prefer the thick white variety. 

1 cup dry poha per person
      1 medium onion sliced
      1/2 jalapeno deseeded
      1 sprig curry leaves
      2 small garlic cloves
      1/4 t cumin seeds
      1/2 lemon 
      1/8 t asafoetida
      1/4 t turmeric
      small handful of cilantro leaves
      1T fresh grated coconut
      2 T Peanut oil 
      salt to taste
      sugar to taste

In a pan heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds sputter, add sliced onions and stir. Saute on medium heat till they turn slightly browned here and there. Do not burn the onions. 
      Meanwhile wash the Poha in a colander and drain. Do this two or three times to get rid of any dirt and also to allow them to rehydrate. They do not need soaking. Fluff the poha with a fork. Add salt sugar turmeric asafoetida and chopped cilantro. Mix and set aside. 
      Once the onions are ready add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno along with the curry leaf sprig. 
      Turn the heat to low and add the poha mixture. Stir to coat and to allow the turmeric and asafoetida to cook. The poha will turn mildly yellow and start giving a wonderful fragrance. 
      Turn off the heat. Fluff gently and plate. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and a squeeze of lemon juice. 
      Finger licking good!! 
      Now when I make this next I will post a picture. 
      Update: Ok I felt the urge to have Kande Pohe for tonight’s dinner. So here is a picture. I am certain to enjoy it for breakfast as well. The measurement of 1 cup poha per person is too much for one meal. But carried over to another meal thats super good! I will also have some stir fried bok choy greens made in the same kadhai after the poha was done, and some cooked and sliced beetroot for salad. My family will add some haldiram sev on the poha for extra crunch! And we will all have some chaas to round off this meal. 

2. Cheela/ Pudla

These are essentially crepes but in the Indian style. 
      1/2 cup sieved garbanzo bean (Besan) flour. 
      Water to form a thin batter
      1T plain yogurt 
      1/2 t ginger garlic paste 
      1/4 or less green chili crushed
      2 t heated oil *
      pinch asafoetida
      pinch turmeric 
      salt to taste
      chopped cilantro (two sprigs)
      some ‘masala’ from a readymade pickle

Method:

mix the ingredients together except oil. Heat oil in a separate pan and add about 1 to 2 t of the hot oil onto the batter. It will sizzle. Use a whisk to stir thoroughly. The batter should be pouring consistency. 
      Let the batter soak for about half an hour if possible. 
      On a hot griddle, pour a ladle full of the batter. Turn the griddle with your wrist to spread the batter around. Cook on moderate to high flame. Flip the crepe when all the sides look like they are ready. You can add a little oil to the sides of the frying pan to make the edges crispy. 

In my home we usually have a Besan cheela with some yogurt its a quick and filling breakfast. You can have a small salad or fruit with it to make it more complete. Or fill the center of the cheela with some cottage cheese and fold for added creaminess! 
      3. Masala Toast : 

1 slice of bread (your choice) toasted
      1/2 small red onion minced
      1 medium roma tomato diced (or whatever you have)
      cilantro (few leaves)
      1/8 t cumin (optional)
      1/4 t chaat masala ( available in stores)
      1 inch cube paneer
      1 T peanut oil
      pinch turmeric (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the tomato and cook down to mush. Crumble the paneer and add the dry spices. Stir for a few seconds to warm the paneer. Add the cilantro and though I have not written it as an ingredient, I like a few drops of lemon juice. Do not overcook paneer.
      I started this topic because someone asked for Indian recipes on the new forum. I don’t think they have seen any yet. I hope they find this useful. I am enjoying it. 

I will add recipes to the list slowly. I have to however add that after a certain ‘age’ I have now resorted to having to make sure I have three things for breakfast besides coffee: a glass of water, a small portion of fruit and a small portion of some protein not necessarily meat. 
      Bhukkhad

• By David Ross
      Ah, the avocado! For many of us, this humble little fruit inspires only one dish. Yet the avocado has a culinary history that is deeper than we may understand.

The avocado (Persea Americana) is a tree thought to have originated in South Central Mexico.  It’s a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae.  The fruit of the plant - yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable - is also called avocado.

Avocados grow in tropical and warm climates throughout the world.  The season in California typically runs from February through September, but avocados from Mexico are now available year-round.

The avocado has a higher fat content than other fruits, and as such serves as an important staple in the diet of consumers who are seeking other sources of protein than meats and fatty foods.  Avocado oil has found a new customer base due to its flavor in dressings and sauces and the high smoke point is favorable when sautéing meat and seafood. 

In recent years, due in part to catchy television commercials and the influence of Pinterest, the avocado has seen a resurgence in popularity with home cooks and professionals.  Walk into your local casual spot and the menu will undoubtedly have some derivation of avocado toast, typically topped with bacon.  Avocados have found a rightful place back on fine dining menus, but unfortunately all too often over-worked dishes with too many ingredients and garnishes erase the pure taste and silky texture of an avocado. 

When I think of an avocado it’s the Hass variety.  However, a friend who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, can buy Choquette, Hall and Lulu avocados in the local markets.  This link provides good information about the different varieties of avocados, when they’re in season and the differences in taste and texture. https://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/10/18/know-your-avocado-varieties-and-when-theyre-in-season/

I for one must challenge myself to start eating and cooking more avocados.  I think my recipe for guacamole served with chicharrones is superb, and the cobb salad with large chunks of ripe avocado is delicious, but as a close friend recently said, “one person’s ‘not especially new’ is another’s “eureka moment.” Well said and as history tells us, we’ll find plenty of eureka moments as we discuss and share our tales and dishes of avocado during eG Cook-Off #81: The Avocado.

Fun fact: The name avocado derives from the Nahuatl word “ahuacatl,” which was also slang for “testicle.”
      See the complete eG Cook-Off Index here https://forums.egullet.org/topic/143994-egullet-recipe-cook-off-index/