• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eagle Scout Reception

ilively

My son will receive his Eagle Scout Badge in May at a special Court of Honor beginning at 4:00 PM, May 20th. Following the Court of Honor will be a reception for the new Eagle. I expect the CoH to last about 1 hour.

Our setting is the Dining Hall of his favorite Scout Camp. We're looking at about 200 people (waiting for the RSVP's to come back).

At first he thought to do traditional 'boy scout' campout food -- hot dogs, poptarts and bug juice (kool-aid). :biggrin: After much cajoling, we're going for more of an appetizer reception.

What are the MUST HAVES for such an event?

Congratulations, my son had his Eagle Scout Court of Honor a few years ago. Because he made it at the same time as another scout we held a joint reception and full buffet dinner.

For appetizers, we found the kids in attendance REALLY liked chicken nuggets. We found a cheap source--the local school system, and bought a couple large commercial boxes from them. (I even hired a few of the cafeteria workers to do the cooking and serving so I could actually enjoy the event rather than doing the work myself. Was a good thing.) We put out bowls of ketchup, bbq sauce, honey and mustard for dipping.

Pigs in blankets...agree, crowd favorite and can use same dipping sauces as the nuggets.

Another fave is mini pizza squares. I bake a large rectangular thin crust pizza and cut it into small squares.

The rest of our meal was catered from a terrific little italian restaurant. I can't believe the quantity of food boy scouts can pack away.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

If he really wants to play on the hot dog on a stick theme...how about good kebobs....you could actually get very silly with that...from normal beef satay, chicken satay, sausages, shrimp, vegetables, etc all the way to tortellini and veg dressed like a pasta salad and fruit and brownie skewers.

Tortellini on a skewer with pesto dip is quite tasty :smile:

tracey

cupcakes baked in orange peels anyone?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How about that "stew" you make by sealing up beef and a bunch of vegetables in individual foil packages and tossing them into the fire?

Hobo packets (Foil Packs) were in the running for awhile. These were seriously considered (much longer than the hot dogs and poptarts). We have a nice large bbq pit behind the dining hall. The big drawback to this were:

1) time -- most people only stay 30-45 minutes at the reception, and these take 15-20 minutes to cook

2) mess -- not everyone will be in a scout uniform. There will be dignitaries and honored guests in nice dress clothes who might not enjoy the smell of charcoal, nor having to make their own dinner

3) timing -- someone would have to miss the ceremony to stay with the fire/charcoal

Pigs in blankets.  Hot dogs in appetizer form.

Do Boy Scouts eat s'mores or is that a Girl Scout thing?

PS:  Big congratulations to your son.  :smile:

First, Thank you! :smile:

My Hubby and I debated on 'pigs in blankets' ... we know of three foods by this name: 1) sausages wrapped in pancakes, 2) haluskis (sp) -- beef/rice wrapped in cabbage cooked in a red/tomato sauce and 3) hot dogs wrapped in biscuits ... I assume you mean the third?

S'mores. Of course Boy Scouts eat them. :biggrin: Following the reception, he's hosting a campfire. There's a Cub Scout Pack holding their graduation (from one rank to the next) at camp the day of his Court of Honor, so, we've invited them to join us after the end of the reception for the campfire. [isn't that what you remember most about your camping experiences -- the campfire?]

After the campfire we'll have s'more supplies.

While I'm thinking of it ... here's an idea for you: Smacos (S'more tacos). Take flour tortillas, spread peanut butter on it, toss in some mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, fold into taco shape, wrap in tinfoil and heat on coals for 2 minutes each side to make everything gooey.

For appetizers, we found the kids in attendance REALLY liked chicken nuggets.  Another fave is mini pizza squares.  I bake a large rectangular thin crust pizza and cut it into small squares.  I can't believe the quantity of food boy scouts can pack away.

Chicken Nuggets ... great idea. I can see the kid appeal!

Pizza squares. Hmmm ... another interesting option. I need to think of vegetarian items as some of our guests don't eat meat. This gives me an option for them (as long as I keep the toppings friendly.)

Scouts can eat. That they can! Our Scoutmaster will make them wait until the others are served before letting them loose. :wink:

My Hubby and I debated on 'pigs in blankets'  ... we know of three foods by this name:  1) sausages wrapped in pancakes, 2) haluskis (sp) -- beef/rice wrapped in cabbage cooked in a red/tomato sauce and 3) hot dogs wrapped in biscuits ... I assume you mean the third?

Yes, that's the one. I usually use crescent rolls.

While I'm thinking of it ... here's an idea for you:  Smacos (S'more tacos).  Take flour tortillas, spread peanut butter on it, toss in some mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, fold into taco shape, wrap in tinfoil and heat on coals for 2 minutes each side to make everything gooey.

Thanks - what a great idea. I will use this at camp in the spring.

Heather Shorter - Brownie Leader. :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Congratulations!

You've GOT to have some Dutch Oven cobblers, don't you?

Are you willing to make them? :wink:

We're doing sheet cake. I'm considering a pastry platter. My son likes the idea of a tower of donuts.

If your reception were closeby, YES! Actually, it would not be difficult. Set the cobblers before the ceremony. Put them on (and under) the heat at the start of the ceremony. They'll be ready by the end. Surely a couple of Scouts could take turns watching them.

I guess girl scout cookies would be innappropriate  :laugh:  Sorry!

No! Don't be sorry! GS have a good thing in cookies!

(I've heard that 1 of every 4 cookies sold in the US is a GS Cookie. Can you imagine?! Wow!)

I regularly take GS cookies to BS events. And, of course, there's always jokes about 'our competition's products' from the adults, but they sure eat the cookies. :raz:

I always buy enough cookies to get me through the year (they freeze well). Of course, when half of the troop have little sisters are in GS, I can spread the wealth. :wink:

Hooray! One thing my son has decided upon:

Chocolate Bars from Aldi. They're nice milk chocolate bars that easily break into appox. 1x1 squares. Each square has a fleur-de-lis emblazoned on it.

We're not serving whole bars, but instead taking the time to break the bars into smaller units, and placing a portion at each table.

And, if there's extras, we'll take them to the campfire for use in s'mores. [Extra chocolate?! That's a crime! :wub: ]