• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The AeroPress Coffee Machine

Gifted Gourmet

4 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Thanks for these tips - you uses yours 13-14 times per day more than me, but I do use mine daily. What "formula" are you using- just the recommended or have you modified to something better? Asking because I feel like I can get better results if I make some changes

I generally use the inverted method but I'm constantly experimenting with different parameters for different coffees—the grind, amount of coffee, the temperature, the timing, filters, etc.

Unfortunately, I'm notorious for keeping poor records—unless some magic combination of the above really stands out.

What's working good for you? :)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I would say that experimentation and record keeping is the way to go.  I have been trying to "decode" coffee brewing for a while.  I had a friend train with as a roaster for a very accomplished local roaster (Lexingtoncoffee.com) and experimentation was his encouragement.  With lighter roasts, I often use a coarser grind, but that is only my personal call.  I think it highlights the more citrusy flavors better.  My standard grind is pretty fine, though.  I use the inverted method, and one other thing that has improved my cup is letting it steep longer than I used to.  I now use 2 minutes as my standard.

Edited by donk79 (log)
  • Like 2