• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snake Restaurant in Hong Kong

jhirshon

When we were in HK in late November we ate several restaurants that were featuring snake in its various forms....tasty stuff.

Cheers,

Stephen

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

When we were in HK in late November we ate several restaurants that were featuring snake in its various forms....tasty stuff.

Taste just like chicken? :wink::biggrin:

The first time I had it was on a culinary tour, in Guangzhou, in '84. We knew we were going to have it somewhere and at one restaurant a soup had both light and dark meat. I asked the guide what the soup was and he hesitated, said "Er --- ah ---- chicken!" So we knew it was snake soup! As I recall, it DID taste like chicken!!

Most of the time that I have had snake - it is the preparation that made it taste good. I agree that the meat itself does not have a tonne of flavour on its own (much like lean chicken or pork). I suspect that this is due to a lack fat in snakes.

In HK - most of the time that I've had it - it is in a very peppery thick broth. Warming and soothing. In Shanghai and the surrounding environs - it served deep fried in a salt and pepper coating. Delicous and fun to eat.

People used to go to snake dinner hosted by union and clubs during the winter(maybe they still do that?). I remembered that there would always be a snake soup, deep fried snake meatball, stir fried snake meat with vegetables, and stir fried glutinous rice.

I agree that they don't taste that much different

Is there a season for snakes? I've only been to Hong Kong in the summer and have never seen snake available. I'm going to be there in March this year though, so maybe I can get lucky this time...

PS

Edinburgh

Is there a season for snakes? I've only been to Hong Kong in the summer and have never seen snake available. I'm going to be there in March this year though, so maybe I can get lucky this time...

Snakes are usually served during the cooler weather(since people believe snakes are high in nutrients and will help provide energy for the cool weather), but I think that if you go to those specialty snake shop, then you can still find snake.