• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Radio foodcast 001, discussion

Fat Guy

We've got our first eG Radio foodcast online and available for download now. The announcement is here.

This topic is for discussion of the content of eG Radio foodcast 001, the STARWICH interview, released 17 Jan 06. If you need technical support with, for example, downloading or playing the foodcast, please use the Technical Support forum. If you have questions or comments about the eG Radio foodcast effort that are not related to the specific issues dealt with in this program (e.g., "This foodcast sucks!" or "When will there be more?"), please submit those to the eG Forums and Society Questions and Comments forum. Thanks!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This is a little different from broadcast radio: here, you don't tune in at a given time. You just follow the link above (here it is again) and download the file, which you can play at your leisure. It's not a live broadcast; it's a recording that you download and play on your computer, transfer to your iPod, etc.

I hope that's helpful, but if more help is required . . . a quick reminder: this topic is for discussion of what we're talking about in foodcast 001; for technical questions please use the Technical Support forum and for other comments please use the eG Forums and Society Questions and Comments forum. Many thanks.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Great start to a great new feature bravo. This interview gave new perspectives and insight into Starwich following Steve’s ARTICLE. It also raised a number of concepts that will be interesting to discuss with Spiro in the upcoming Q&A. The emerging market of “Quick Upscale Restaurants” is a very interesting because for me it raises the question of can a chain truly provide quality product in a comfortable atmosphere while treating its staff properly and at the same time practice responsible sourcing and support the local economy? Starwich seems to come pretty close.

I see a great deal of thought has been put into the smaller things at Starwich. A few examples being the Wi-Fi, cell phone charging station, coffee cup lids, and the initial concept of the smartcard. The smaller things such as these are the things I was discussing last night with someone in the industry that I believe make the difference between one time customers and repeats.

All in all a very interesting interview. I look forward to the Q&A to follow up on some of these ideas with Spiro. With over a month to the Q&A I would suggest people review this interview and Steve’s ARTICLE so that they can take full advantage of the opportunity this presents.

Steven, I heard no discussion of the smartcards as discussed in your initial article on the broadcast nor did I see them when dining there. Do you know if they are still using them?

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I haven't heard a peep about the smart cards since shortly after Starwich opened. I have a feeling they've ditched the idea or at least postponed its implementation indefinitely, but we should ask Spiro when he comes online here next month. Personally, I love the idea and wish I could have my very own.

. Personally, I love the idea and wish I could have my very own.

I agree that at the "Quick Upscale Restaurant" level this is an incredibly beneficial contribution to both the vendor and customer in regards to speed and efficiency. It will be interesting to discuss with Spiro why or why not they have proceeded to use this technology.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just finally getting around to listening to this and it's great! Steve, you're a natural - sounds like you've been doing this your whole life (broadcasting, I mean, not discussing sandwiches, which we all know you've been doing your whole life :raz:).

I look forward to future broadcasts and to having the Starwich guys online with us in a couple of weeks.

Bravo, indeed!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 3 weeks later...