• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boat Street Cafe

They are open; here is their website. I haven't actually been yet, because I can't really figure out where they're at, despite numerous descriptions given to me by a friend who's been to the new location a couple of times. They're in the Northwest Work Lofts building somewhere, yet driving by I cannot see the sign. My friend, however, says both the food and the space are excellent.

They are open; here is their website.  I haven't actually been yet, because I can't really figure out where they're at, despite numerous descriptions given to me by a friend who's been to the new location a couple of times.  They're in the Northwest Work Lofts building somewhere, yet driving by I cannot see the sign.  My friend, however, says both the food and the space are excellent.

When you drive by, you'll see a ramp that goes below grade. This ramp is perpendicular to Elliot Ave. If the building is a U that faces Elliot, the Ramp goes inside the U. Follow the ramp to the bottom and Boat Street Cafe is on your right. It really is a nice space for a basement, and a nice addition to the neighborhood.

Rocky and I had lunch there a few weeks ago. It was my first Boat Street experience and I can't wait to go back! He had the bread pudding for dessert and I claimed to not like bread pudding. I was wrong. It was sublime.

hhlodesign describes the location perfectly. Just park on Elliott and walk towards the Work Lofts, you'll see it once you get to the ramp.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

FYI for you guys, lunch gets busy at peak time, if you want to take your time and have a relaxing lunch go after 100. Reservations are very much reccomended for dinner especially on Friday or Saturday. The food is just as good as it was before and much of the old staff is back. Run, don't walk.

Rocky

Dayne and I had a really nice dinner last night at Boat Street. At first the space seemed a bit stark but soon we felt very comfortable and our server, who worked at the old location, was great.

The menu upon first read seemed basic but the prices were good. They brought hot bread out, sitting in olive oil with 2 large pats of good butter and some olives. OK, they got my attention! How can anyone not love butter AND olive oil!!

We shared the house made chicken liver pate which was really good. Very mousse like with flavors of argmnac. Served with mustard, cornichons, prunes and crostini. It's a very good size plate, perfect for sharing.

We had a nice bottle of Ch. du Pape and dayne had the pork chop with thyme, kale gratin and potatoes. I had the roasted poussin (which really was poussin instead of game hen like a lot of places would) in a cream sauce with apples and potatoes. Let me just tell all of you to go get that sauce. Holy crap that was awesome. And they plated baby chicky on top so the skin stayed all crispy. I said to Dayne "this chicken is awesome!" to which he replied "you rarely say that about chicken!"

We shared the chocolate pot au creme for dessert and each had a glass of dessert wine. All of this for $120, dayne thought that was a great price.

We'll be back there for sure. My only quibble was they use Riedle sauv blanc glasses for everything. I like my red in a bigger bowl. I just wouldn't order a very expensive red there for that reason, no biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had dinner last night at the new Boat Street location. We arrived a bit past 5:30 with no reservations (didn't know they accepted them for a party of two, but they do!).

Very nice space in a bit of an odd street location, but the interior is warm and inviting. We were seated promptly (we were the first ones there), and I'd called in advance about corkage, so while we looked at the menu our waitress got started on the wine we brought.

For starters we has the Duck Pate and the Salad Composee. The Pate was fabulous (as mentioned in several other posts). The Salad Comosee advertised Sardines, citrus scented beans and beets. The Sardines were tinned, which I hadn't expected, but hadn't asked for clarification either. The beans had a bit too much orange for my tastes, but overall the salad was great, especially the arugula.

For mains we ordered the crab cakes and the oysters gratin. Our waitress raved about them and they looked great on arrival. I tried a taste and detected a blue mold taste (tasted like bread mold). I asked my wife (she'd ordered the crab) and she agreed. We hesitantly asked our waitress over and explained what we notice. Without a fuss she took the plate back to the kitchen, asked the chef for her opinion.

The report back was that 'they all think they tasted fine' (meaning the kitchen staff), but they agreed to make up another plate. We felt bad, but we'd only had two bites and it just didn't taste right. Our waitress was great about it, and we received another (single) crab cake a few minutes later. It didn't have the same taste as the other two, so I was glad we sent it back.

My oyster dish, on the other hand, was excellent. Six plump Hamma Hamma oysters in a creamy saffron broth with leeks topped with a cornmeal biscuit. The oysters were perfectly cooked, briny and sweet.

For dessert we shared a little chocolate pot du creme and a glass of Muscat. Both were lovely.

Despite the issues with the crab, we'll be back for sure. I'm looking forward to trying other items on the menu.

• 3 months later...

^What did you order at dinner?

I've had lunch there once...we shared a platter of the smoked trout, I think...and I had the baked eggs with the brioche crumbs on top. I would have preferred runnier yolks, and less crumb topping. Food was good, but nothing spectacular. I would go there again for brunch/lunch though.

Edited by Ling (log)

^What did you order at dinner?

I've had lunch there once...we shared a platter of the smoked trout, I think...and I had the baked eggs with the brioche crumbs on top. I would have preferred runnier yolks, and less crumb topping. Food was good, but nothing spectacular. I would go there again for brunch/lunch though.

Lamb shanks (I had cooked some fabulous ones the week before - these were dull) and tough duck. It was big, we were full, we weren't wowed.

• 5 months later...

Just want to add we just had a fabulous dinner last night at Boat St.

We started with a half bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau, in fact the last bottle poured off a cask they'd gotten for the Thursday night 'est arrivé' party.

Apps were a special pork pâté that really was great. It was a chunky country style and the flavor was wonderful. We also had the arugula, pear, walnut & Bleu d'Auvergne salad: people, get this if you are going soon. the flavors were incredible. I've never had a better blue cheese than this one.

Entreés were the poussin, and yes little miss foodie is right, the sauce is to die for. We also had the savory flan which happened to be Leek last night. These things are SO good, no matter what is in them. Also on the table: Shrimp done in a sort of diavolo sauce, crispy, spicy, and came with a baguette spread with goat cheese crottin that had been toasted under the broiler. yum.

But the killer combination on the table was the pork belly with romesco sauce and sweet pickled onions. The flavor created by having all these in one bite was just stunning.

We had a bottle of red with all this, and to tell you the truth, the only thing I remember is that it was french :raz: but it was lovely.

chocolate pot de creme for dessert, panna cotta with blackberries and of course, how-can-you-leave-without-it: the amaretto bread pudding. :wub:

Born Free, Now Expensive

But the killer combination on the table was the pork belly with romesco sauce and sweet pickled onions. The flavor created by having all these in one bite was just stunning.

We had this dish last time we were there and I agree, it was fabulous. Who'd a thunk that pork belly and romesco sauce would go so well together?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting