• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appleton Estate 21 vs Ron Zacapa 23

Evangelos

Last night I tried both of these rums side by side. I have had the RZ23 before so it was no surprise to me how good it was. I was VERY disappointed with the AE21 though. It tasted harsh, had very little sweetness, and was just bland. When I went back to RZ23 I was relieved. I am almost thinking I have a bad bottle or is this what AE21 really tastes like? It was not easy to sip whereas the RZ23 is a beautiful sipping rum and it goes down smooth.

The comparison of these two rums illustrates two very different styles of aged rum. Appleton is a much heavier, drier rum. Jamaican is known for its heavier style rums which are distilled from molasses while Zacapa is a lighter body rum.

This comparison also demonstrates the point that you shouldn't get hung up on the age of your rum. Zacapa is aged in warehouses high in the Guatemalan mountains while Appleton rums are aged just above sea level where the temp and humidity are much higher.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.