• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two nights in Philly, where am I eating?

iharrison

Man, you guys are incredible. This is an awesome list to choose from.

If any of you ever make it to Montreal, I am hooking you UP. Just post in the Montreal forum.

Katie, I probably won't be there Friday for lunch but Amada looks great. Thanks.

Man, you guys are incredible. This is an awesome list to choose from.

If any of you ever make it to Montreal, I am hooking you UP. Just post in the Montreal forum.

Katie, I probably won't be there Friday for lunch but Amada looks great. Thanks.

Standard Tap for Mussels and Sausage. The duck confit salad is also terrific. I eat both as often as I can. They are only open for dinner and it is a tavern NOT fancy at all if that's OK with you.

Django is a BYO favorite as well as Dimiti's Both dinner spots. Octopus at Dimiti's is the best I have ever eaten.

Lunch at Morimoto is great too if your in the mood for Japanese.

Snapper soup and oysters at Samson Street Oyster House is fav too. I could go on and on - this is a great food city.

Good luck and let us know where you ended up.

Oh one more thing---eat downstairs in bar Lyonaise at Le Bec Fin for a more casual relaxed dining option. The menu is a al carte for both lunch and dinner and some of my very favorite things--dare I say the best I have ever eaten anywhere are : The escargot, Salad Lyonaise, Onion Soup or Lob Bisque, Chicken w/ mashed pototo's, Rissotto. :wub:

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

There's been a Primo's for at least five years on 2000 block of Chestnut

Source of these beauties:

Sulmona

gallery_8050_1946_14324.jpg

Suprimo

gallery_8050_1946_11969.jpg

Old Italian

gallery_8050_1946_6667.jpg

and Pescara

gallery_8050_1946_390853.jpg

I work at 23rd and Chestnut, so I've been there more than a few times. (I had a Sulmona yesterday - :wub: that fresh Mozz!) See Primo's webpage for details.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

I second the Standard Tap - Northern Liberties rec.

If you're here for brunch, they do an awesome brunch on Saturdays and Sundays.

We were in Montreal a few months ago, drove up. Had good dinners at Laloux, L'express. Loved the marche Jean Talon-if you can bring us some spice from a shop in that market, I'll meet you and pay you! Can't find it anywhere! It's an Egyptian Dukka spice that's outrageous. Send me a message if you find the time; and we'll meet in the city!

No problem, of course, if time is limited!

javascript:emoticon(':biggrin:')

Philly Francophiles

I would like to second the suggestion of the Standard Tap for dinner. They have an excellent beer selection on tap, many of them local brewerys and really good food.

Monks has a mind boggling selection Belgian beer on tap and good food. It is very smokey and crowded at times. A good place to visit at an off-hour. The same owners have another restaurant called Nodding Head that is a brew pub and their food is also good.

Chloe and Bistro 7 are 2 very good "new American" Byo's in Old City, for dinner. Chloe takes no reservations, Bistro 7 does.

We have good authentic Mexican. I think there are a few threads describing the choices.

I dont remember what Chinese food is like in Montreal. I havent been there since 1986 or so, but if you want some dim sum suggestions or lunch or dinner suggestions just ask, or search the board.

For something really different there is a Laotian restaurant in South Philly, Cafe de Laos. We also have a good burmese restaurant in chinatown, Rangoon.

What about Barbecue? We suddenly have two good ones in Center City, The Smoked Joint and Tommy Gunn's. In the far northeast I hear there is an even better one called Sweet Lucy's.

Maybe you'd better plan a second trip!

If you want a little place no tourist would ever find, and you love truly authentic Italian food, go checkout "La Locanda del Ghiottone" at 130 N 3rd. St. The place is tiny, but the smell of veal stock welcomes you as soon as you walk in the door. It's BYOW so come prepared, but its reasonably priced, very nice inside, and one of the best meals I've ever been able to have.

Citysearch Link: http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/11313465/

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

If you want a little place no tourist would ever find, and you love truly authentic Italian food, go checkout "La Locanda del Ghiottone" at 130 N 3rd. St.  The place is tiny, but the smell of veal stock welcomes you as soon as you walk in the door.  It's BYOW so come prepared, but its reasonably priced, very nice inside, and one of the best meals I've ever been able to have. 

Citysearch Link: http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/11313465/

Ghost:

How long has it been since you've been to La Ghiottone?? Chef Giuseppe died in 2000, and although I know his widow kept the place open (along with Il Cantuccio up the block which they also own) I don't think it's been the same since. It's also very small, cramped and deafeningly noisy which it always was.

Not for nothin' but it's not like there's a shortage of good Italian food, BYO and otherwise in this town that has better ambiance and service. If it's Italian BYO you're after I'd check out L'Angolo, Radicchio or Melograno. Branzino is good too, but I've always had a problem with meat orders there being overdone. Fish, veal and pasta dishes were excellent.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol