• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Pudding

Sandra Levine

Anywhere from cool to room temp but not cold or hot. I recently tried some that was made with Calspara rice (the special Spanish rice used to make traditional paella) and had pistachios and golden raisins added. Did I mention the nice drizzle of caramel sauce on top. I was amazed at what a difference the alternate rice variety made (Calspara is much like the arborioa rice used for risotto but less starchy).

I like it hot or cold and at any point in between.

Savory rice pudding is especially good hot and it is difficult for me to wait until it has cooled enough to eat comfortably, before digging in.

I like a sauce of a contrasting temperature on some sweet rice puddings. A hot, spicy cream sauce on a cold one, cold sauce on a hot pudding.

I especially like hot rice pudding with some of my homemade lemon curd spooned onto the top and swirled into the top layer. (I usually have a dish of the stuff handy so when I get below the top layer and there is no more lemon curd, I can add more.........

It is very indulgent.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Room temp, just when it's cooled after it was made

This is my preference for temperature as well.

Usually the rice pudding I make is flavored with just a cinnamon stick and the zest of a lemon. Simply and tasty.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Slightly warm (I *hate* hot raisins!) with cinnamon and grated nutmeg. What I especially love, and have never been able to find a recipe for, is the kind of rice pudding which is creamy - the kind delicatessens sell. Can someone help me with this?

Edited by Susan G (log)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Slightly warm (I *hate* hot raisins!) with cinnamon and grated nutmeg.  What I especially love, and have never been able to find a recipe for, is the kind of rice pudding which is creamy - the kind delicatessens sell.  Can someone help me with this?

Try this one - it is really delicious and you can modify the flavors as you like but it comes out nice and creamy. Enjoy!

Exceptional Rice Pudding :biggrin:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Oh, definately warm, any dessert is far better warm IMO. Even desserts that have to be cold, like ice cream, are far better with something warm like a gooey brownie or a hot slice of apple pie beneath.

Rice Pudding is actually one thing I miss a lot since I haven't been able to eat it lately. I tried making up a batch using grated cauliflower instead of rice, and while the taste was good, the smell was not,so it just wasn't the same.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Thanks Glossyp for the "Exceptional Rice Pudding" recipe! I'll try it tomorrow! (And I'm making the rice now!) :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I like it hot or cold and at any point in between.

Savory rice pudding is especially good hot and it is difficult for me to wait until it has cooled enough to eat comfortably, before digging in. 

I like a sauce of a contrasting temperature on some sweet rice puddings.  A hot, spicy cream sauce on a cold one,  cold sauce on a hot pudding. 

I especially like hot rice pudding with some of my homemade lemon curd spooned onto the top and swirled into the top layer.  (I usually have a dish of the stuff handy so when I get below the top layer and there is no more lemon curd, I can add more.........

It is very indulgent.

What recipe do you use for your pudding? I tried one with Arborio rice where you cooked it all together for some time and was less than impressed. Since so many people like the stuff I really want to try again and see if I like it better....

Josette

I just threw out about 5 batches of rice pudding because I had never made it before, and thought I knew how to make it - but turns out I didn't.

I finally figured it out - I like it cold, and creamy. I also like it with raisins soaked in rum - making it rum and raisin rice pudding.

Rum and raisiner are a perfect combo aren't they?

Any dish can benefit from the two of them used together.

In fact, my favorite ice-cream has to be rum-raisin.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

For me, either room temp or cold, with a seasonal fruit compote. The recipe at my last job (mediterranean restaurant) used arborio rice, -- it's now my personal preference for rice pudding. Making RP with arborio rice can be tricky... it's like making sweet risotto. You have to pay attention to the rice, know when to stir, give it time to absorb the liquid, etc. It was actually one of the more challenging recipes for me to master... too long on the heat and the RP was too stiff, not enough time, and the starch didn't cook out enough or the mixture was too soupy.

Hmmm, might have to make some soon (not the 6 qt batch, though :smile: ).

When I make rice pudding I use short grain rice. Arborio rice is okay but I get the most consistant results with Calrose short grain rice. In some places this is called "sushi rice" or sticky rice.

First cook your rice the way it says on the package - I happen to like coconut so I use half water and half canned coconut milk. Cook it in a rice cooker, in a pan or however you like to cook it.

You will need

1 1/2 cups of the cooked rice

1 1/2 cups half and half or whole milk if you are REALLY counting calories.

(If you use skim milk I will not be responsible for the results!)

1/3 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon butter

pinch of nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon)

1 extra large egg and

1/2 cup heavy cream, mixed together and beaten until frothy

In a heavy saucepan or double boiler combine the first 7 ingredients.

Bring to a simmer stirring often until it is thick and creamy.

This will take about 20 minutes over medium heat.

lower the burner to low.

Stir in the egg/cream mixture

Cook an additional 5 minutes over low heat.

Ladle into dishes or (what I use) teacups or latte cups (bigger).

If you like cinnamon, dust lightly with cinnamon sugar

If you like raisins in your rice pudding, add them half way through the cooking - use Sultanas or golden raisins as they look nicer.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If it's homemade, I can hardly wait for it to cool. I eat it warm. If it's Cozy Shack brand, I always do it cold. It's the perfect breakfast.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

When I make rice pudding I use short grain rice.  Arborio rice is okay but I get the most consistant results with Calrose short grain rice.  In some places this is called "sushi rice" or sticky rice.

Your recipe really looks fantastic andiesenji; thank you very much for sharing it.

Also, I agree that a sauce contrasting in temperature with the rice pudding is very nice.

I love kheer; with cardamom and maybe some sliced almonds in it. (I've had this warm and cool in Indian restaurants).

Has anyone had elegant molded rice pudding dishes from France or Vienna (along the lines of a "Riz a L'Imperatrice")?

I haven't made or had either yet but they sound like they would be very good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Andiesenji,

Thanks for the recipe! I'll try this soon. I do like the cardamom and rum raisins with it so I might have to try it both ways. I'll see if I can get that rice this weekend and try it with that. What I didn't like about the arborio is how tough it stayed. Way back when I had rice pudding and think I liked it but I didn't remember the little "pellets"!

And how'd you know I had my hands on that skim milk :shock:

Josette

somewhere I have the recipe from my first real cooking job your basic german deli but we used Carolina rice lots of half and half finished with heavy cream mixed with eggs and ....instant vanilla pudding ...it took hours in a double bottom pot on a low flame over 2 stacked burner grates...ahhhhh damn was that good Hot of course with extra cinnamon.

Have you ever seen what happens when you drop a half sized deep hotel pan of hot rice pudding straight down on the floor???????

it was alllllll over the ceiling and up into the guts of the steam table and my hair and......

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

When I make rice pudding I use short grain rice.  Arborio rice is okay but I get the most consistant results with Calrose short grain rice.  In some places this is called "sushi rice" or sticky rice.

First cook your rice the way it says on the package - I happen to like coconut so I  use half water and half canned coconut milk.  Cook it in a rice cooker, in a pan or however you like to cook it. 

You will need

1 1/2 cups of the cooked rice

1 1/2 cups half and half or whole milk if you are REALLY counting calories.

(If you use skim milk I will not be responsible for the results!)

1/3 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon butter

pinch of nutmeg (1/8 teaspoon)

1 extra large egg and

1/2 cup heavy cream, mixed together and beaten until frothy

In a heavy saucepan or double boiler combine the first 7 ingredients.

Bring to a simmer stirring often until it is thick and creamy.

This will take about 20 minutes over medium heat.

lower the burner to low.

Stir in the egg/cream mixture

Cook an additional 5 minutes over low heat.

Ladle into dishes or (what I  use) teacups or latte cups (bigger).

If you like cinnamon, dust lightly with cinnamon sugar

If you like raisins in  your rice pudding, add them half way through the cooking - use Sultanas or golden raisins as they look nicer.

Andiesenji, I tried your recipe and it's the creamiest, richest rice pudding I've ever eaten. Wow! Thank you so much for posting!

In the Middle East rice pudding is served cold with orange blossom water. It is called Riz b'halib (rice cooked in milk) and is prepared somewhat like Andiesenji's recipe (without coconut milk though) . The recipe calls for short grain rice to be cooked in milk and sugar for a long time. The mixture is thickened with a little corn starch and/or egg beaten in cold milk. Orange blossom water is added at the end for additional flavoring.

Once the mixture is creamy enough, it is divided into small bowls, and stays in the fridge until it sets. Crushed pistachios or ground cinnamon can be sprinkled on top. It's delicious. :smile:

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Excellent though it may be, these are different dishes to

I pint/600ml milk (as andiesenji mentioned, no responsibility is taken for skimmed milk)

2 oz/50g pudding rice

Large knob of best butter

2Tbs sugar

Sprinkle nutmeg

Put all into an oven proof dish. Leave in a low oven (150C/300F) for 2 hours, or overnight in the bottom oven of the Aga until golden brown, or leave even longer until golden all through

The skin is the best bit...