• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Pudding

Sandra Levine

My Mom's rice pudding fits the bill

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup arborio rice

4 cups milk

raisins

2 eggs

fresh grated nutmeg

Bake sugar, rice and milk for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Add raisins to taste and cook 1 hour more. Temper eggs with some of the hot pudding and stir into remaining pudding. Top with grated nutmeg and bake until set.

No temperature noted on recipe, but I suspect it is 325º F.

Unfortunately it won't allow you to donate "lots" of rice.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

My favorite 'rice pudding' is the indian dessert Kheer- it's lighter and a little "soupy-er" than a classic rice pudding, and usually (at least, i prefer it) served chilled. It's traditionally made with broken basmati rice, almonds, coconut milk, milk, and cardamom, but i've had great success using other rices, and once i made it with Quinoa- - -an excellent idea. I bet it'd be great with arborio- you'd have to adjust the cooking mehtod a bit to make up for the liquid-starch ratio, but it'd sure help you get rid of the excess rice.

It's GREAT for breakfast with a side of rashers, too :-)

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup arborio rice

4 cups milk

raisins

2 eggs

fresh grated nutmeg

Add raisins to taste and cook 1 hour more.  Temper eggs with some of the hot pudding and stir into remaining pudding.  Top with grated nutmeg and bake until set.

How many will this serve? I need 50 half cup servings.

Anyone have a recipe for a really good arborio rice pudding?  I've found recipes using long grain, but I have tons of arborio and I want to "donate" some to the Senior's.  I plan on making it tomorrow for their Thursday's dessert.

Are you looking specifically for a "tried and true" recipe, or just a recipe that looks good? Many recipes can be found by searching for "arborio rice pudding". Most of the recipes I've seen, though, say not to prepare it in advance (maybe the starches make it too thick and gloopy if allowed to sit?), so it might not be the best choice for the seniors, unless you don't mind preparing it right before serving.

Another option would be arancini, which you could prepare in advance, and perhaps bake it instead of fry it? But that wouldn't help with dessert.

Yep, tried and true. I dont like to experiment too much before cooking for the seniors. As you know, they're pretty critical.

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup arborio rice

4 cups milk

raisins

2 eggs

fresh grated nutmeg

Add raisins to taste and cook 1 hour more.  Temper eggs with some of the hot pudding and stir into remaining pudding.  Top with grated nutmeg and bake until set.

How many will this serve? I need 50 half cup servings.

I think 5 or 6 servings as I recall.

I madethisrice pudding tonight. I wanted to make Kerry's, but my brand new oven( just got it today) was making a funny noise so I turned it off. I think they might have installed it wrong.

So, I found a basic, simple recipe using long grain rice( I spent 1.49). I added raisins and 2 scraped vanilla beans. I made 50 servings and I used 2 full bags(4L each) of 2% milk. On sale at Shopper's for 3.99 each.

It's currently cooling in my brand new GE profile french door fridge that was also installed wrong ( its not level).

I'll post the rice pudding tomorrow in the Senior Dining thread.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I wonder how well it would cook in a crock pot?

I've got a tiny crock pot, perhaps I should try a batch overnight. I bet it wouldn't take as much milk due to less evaporation. I'll report back.

I wonder how well it would cook in a crock pot?

I've got a tiny crock pot, perhaps I should try a batch overnight.  I bet it wouldn't take as much milk due to less evaporation.  I'll report back.

Interesting idea... looking forward to hearing the verdict.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

gallery_34671_2649_8615.jpg

It's a keeper done this way. Used the 4 cups of milk, 1/3 cups each arborio and sugar. Crocked on low over night, stirred this am, added some raisins. After about 15 minutes beat a couple of eggs, added some of the pudding to the eggs to temper, then added the eggs back in, with a bit of nutmeg and cooked about 15 minutes more until it thickened up.

Eggs?? Raisins??/ Heresy!

(for 4 servings)

2oz/50g short grain (pudding or arborio) rice

1 pint/600ml Milk

1 oz/25g sugar

knob butter

grated nutmeg

Mix together in an ovenproof dish

Bake for an hour or more (three hours or more if large quantities) in a low (200F/90C) oven until a golden skin has formed an the rice is soft

Serve warm with jam or golden syrup.

The skin is the best bit

Edited by jackal10 (log)

(for 4 servings)

1 pint/600ml Milk

1 oz/25g sugar

knob butter

grated nutmeg

Bake for an hour or more (three hours or more if large quantities) in a low (200F/90C) oven until a golden skin has formed an the rice is soft

The skin is the best bit

Oh Jack! You are close - so very close - but you just gotta have the raisins. Plump golden raisins!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks great Kerry! I'll have to try it.

I know where he's coming from with the raisins. I was an anti-raisin person my entire life. I spent some time force-acclimating myself to them and I'm now at the point that I don't mind them being in things. That's two off the list now. I always hated raisins and raw onions and now I'm fine with the raisins and love raw onions... all thanks to just stubbornly eating them when they were in something until I learned to like them instead of picking them out. Hasn't worked for liver though, I just can't seem to get past that one. I have tried. I want to like liver (liver and onions always smells good) and pate and foie (I've wasted a lot of money trying) but it just isn't happening. But the raisins are ok now so I'll probably put them in.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

(for 4 servings)

1 pint/600ml Milk

1 oz/25g sugar

knob butter

grated nutmeg

The skin is the best bit

Thanks for the recipe. It is so good and so easy! I just enjoyed a bowl of it hot from the oven. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Spiced Rice pudding skin! That it awesome.

I think you're looking at the saran wrap( cling film). This pudding didnt form a skin.

Speaking of rice pudding, are those rice pudding restaurants still in business( I think it was in NY)