• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
trillium

Food and Wine cocktail issue

I bought the Jan edition of "Food and Wine" because it declared 2006 to be the year of the cocktail and I had to laugh when one of the 4 cocktails in the article was a vodka, olive brine and squid ink "martini". Hmmmm. Let's hope it's not a trend. It was weird, the west coast was very well represented, but not the east coast (or even middle!). And there was more hype/propaganda from Michael Hebberoy, a local restaurateur, about his new line of "gins" including one you sip warm (carob root anyone?). I was disappointed overall from a cocktail standpoint, but it's worth a flip-through at the check out stand. It's been years since I read a Food & Wine, but when did they start giving you fashion information about the dresses being worn in the pictures????

regards,

trillium

On a completely different note, I think if there were a squid-ink beer, I would try it. But, not in my sacred martini. I can't even bring myself to drink a vodka "martini" without vituperative editorial comments.

I wonder what squid-ink would do to beer.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I picked up this issue on a whim and read it while flying to Honolulu. At least Audrey Saunders and the Pegu Club get a little publicity, but I was very disappointed in this particular issue. The magazine used to distinguish itself a couple of years back, but IMHO it is now the "foodie" magazine for the tragically hip.

Ugh.

In vino veritas.

Sign in to follow this