• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Hubby's birthday cake

momlovestocook

It's my hubby's birthday on the 22nd and I want to make him a great cake. He loves cheesecake so that's where I want to start. I was thinking of making the bottom layer a brownie, followed by cheesecake and covered with ganache.

I just can't seem to decide on flavors. He loves white chocolate and peanut butter. I'm torn between the two.

I've tried asking him but he never says what he wants(and never complains after it is made LOL).

I'm not sure how the white chocolate would go with the brownie. I know peanut butter would go well(may even make peanut butter brownies).

Can anyone lead me down the path to the perfect cheesecake?

thanks

Sandra

i would do the brownie bottom with chopped roasted peanuts in it and top it with white chocolate cheesecake swirled with peanut butter.

the sweetness of the white chocolate cheesecake will be offset by the slight saltiness of the peanut butter.

this way, you get all the components you're looking for.

^That's a great idea. Alternatively, you could do a brownie base with the chopped, salted peanuts in the brownies (or white chocolate chips), top with the white chocolate cheesecake (and maybe use the peanut butter swirl) and top the cheesecake with pieces with homemade peanut brittle for crunch. Or you could crush the peanut brittle and press it onto the sides of your cheesecake too.

I have a great peanut butter cup cheesecake recipe.

Peanut Butter Cup cheesecake

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup heavy cream

Crushed roasted peanuts (reserve for garnish)

Ganache

6 ounces semisweet chocolate

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Chocolate cookie crust

3/4 cup flour

1/4 cup cocoa

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup butter

1 egg yolk

Pulse dry ingredients together in food processor. Add butter in cubes, pulsing until coarse crumbs form. Add egg yolk, pulsing just until combined. Spread crumbs in greased 9" pan. Pat down and bake in 350 degree oven until edges begin to brown and smell fragrant. Cool.

For the cheesecake I bake in a 300 degree oven in a waterbath for about 1 1/2 hours or until barely jiggles in center. Remove from waterbath and cool until room temp and then refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. (or freeze for one or two hours). Then, unmold and place on a 9" cardboard. Cover with lukewarm ganache. Chill again. Once ganache is almost set, Cover the sides with chopped roasted peanuts.

This cheesecake looks and tastes like a peanut butter cup and was a best seller at the cafes that I supplied. You could probably use a brownie base instead of the cookie crust if you wanted.

Shaloop - I am saving that recipe for my son's birthday. He often asks for a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and ganache frosting. He loves cheesecake, so I know he will love this recipe! Thanks!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Thanks for the replies. I ended up making peanut butter brownies and topped it with the peanut butter cheesecake recipe shaloop posted. Not sure I liked the brownie bottom but the cheesecake was awesome. Here's a picture of the cheesecake covered with ganache. I whipped some to add a little decoration. Excuse the crappy writing-the kids wanted me to write happy birthday so I did

Sandra

gallery_20283_442_20510.jpg