• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen barcode scanner

jackal10

I guess if you eat the same things, all pre-packaged, day after day and month after month...........and never visit a market stand or pick things from your garden.....

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I guess if you eat the same things, all pre-packaged, day after day and month after month...........and never visit a market stand or pick things from your garden.....

Exactly. The few pre-packaged items we buy, we have no problems remembering to pick up. This gadget also does not tell us that we have only two scoops of laundry detergent left, or whether we are nearly out of plastic wrap. We still have to do a quick run through the kitchen with a piece of paper and a pen.

I don't know I kind of like the idea. What I would really love would be a full blown inventory tracking system; download what I purchased from the supermarket (also be able to add stuff myself as oneoffs), this way I could run reports like how long it took to use something, or how many do I have left (useful with bulk items), or use up stuff I have forgotten in the back of the freezer.

Of course the kids would "forget" to use it as they are throwing things away or more realistically leaving the empty container in the frig. and the whole system would be shot to hell. :)

I too think this is a good idea...in theory. I would love to have an inventory management system. It would be nice to also be able to assign barcodes to items not bought from the supermarket such as meats bought, divided, sealed with a food saver and put in the freezer. date information would be great too. I like the concept but suspect that many bugs remain. Of course, this technology would still be only as good as those who use it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

At $250, this bar code system does not seem like it would work for me as we don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods. Even cereals and such items often come from the bulk bins at the natural foods store.

But I would like an inventory management system that could scan my grocery store receipts, manage my pantry and freezer supplies, and create suggested shopping lists for me. I also would like a personal assistant to do the work for me, so I'll add that to my wish list as well.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

At $250, this bar code system does not seem like it would work for me as we don't eat a lot of prepackaged foods. Even cereals and such items often come from the bulk bins at the natural foods store.

But I would like an inventory management system that could scan my grocery store receipts, manage my pantry and freezer supplies, and create suggested shopping lists for me. I also would like a personal assistant to do the work for me, so I'll add that to my wish list as well.

It's worse than you think: how about a smart cooktop that uses radio frequency ID to help you cook?

Here's the link: RFID cooking

"Something to add to my list of "I want one of those."

VistaCrafts RFIQin, available in Japan, comes with 24 recipe cards. The pan reads the card you show and "tells" the cooktop what to do 16 times a second to perfectly monitor each cooking step and perfectly reproduce the most difficult recipes.

Each pan handle is embedded with an RFID chip that uses a proprietary signal to communicate with coordinated chips in the cooktop and special recipe cards that monitor each cooking step for a particular dish."

The site also linked to a 'weather forecasting toaster', but I just couldn't bring myself to click on it....

Edited by Singapore (log)

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....