• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milwaukee Restaurants

I'm going to be in Milwaukee in early November for a meeting--in downtown Milwaukee, not far from the train station. Since we will also be staying in a downtown hotel that's where we'd prefer to find places to eat. We can choose where we will eat on Saturday evening and I'd welcome your suggestions & recommendations. It's a moderate sized group & generally we split up among 2-3 different restaurants as people have a variety of food preferences. I'm told there's a good bus system in Milwaukee by a meeting attendee who lived in Milwaukee years ago (she also had good things to say about the food, but moved away years ago so doesn't know what's good now), so while we probably want to stay in the downtown area, if there's a particularly good place that's a direct bus ride away, I'd like to hear about it.

We have a food per diem allowance and can probably spend 1/2 of that, maybe 2/3s on dinner, as some of our day's meals are provided/catered--so probably entrees up to $25, we pay for any alcohol ourselves.

A few people might like a steakhouse, otherwise Serbian, Italian, Pakistani, mideastern or local/organic would be great too. So far, from reading this thread (and a 30 best restaurants review from the Milwaukee paper someone provided a link to) it seems like Coquette's Cafe, Sanford Restaurant, Zaffiro's Pizza, Zarletti, Shahrazad, Tulip, Anmol, Tess and Three Brothers are all possibilities. I noticed Coerper's Five O'Clock was listed as a good steakhouse but I couldn't tell from the address if it was downtown or not.

More suggestions or opinions about the restaurants on my list are welcome. If you can tell me which of the restaurants are downtown and which are not (and if so, how far away), that'd be wonderful, as it would save me a lot of looking at Google maps.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, information & advice.

azurite