• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you go for breakfast in SF?

Stu-i-moto

Went to Elite Cafe on Fillmore this morning -- just happenstance and was completely charmed. I had corned beef hash with poached eggs and a bechemel that was a bit heavy on carrots and celery with roasted potatoes on the side instead of part of the hash. K had a Cajun version made with brisket instead of corned beef, served in a cast-iron skillet that he enjoyed. A side of donut holes made the meal.

My new favorite spot is Just for You Cafe in the dogpatch. Since I don't eat eggs (especially bad ones), I love the fact that they serve pork chops (thin and tasty) and - GRITS! Now, who has the guts to serve grits in this town? That shows some individuality - and I like it.

I have had mixed results with their beignets. At times, they are fluffy and hot and great with some honey drizzled over. Other times, they are greasy and dense, and put me into a food coma (a definite no-no for breakfast - after all, you have the whole day ahead, no?)

What I don't like is that it's cash-only. But there's an ATM in the convenience store next door. Good enough for me in a pinch.

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

How is the breakfast at Hard Knox?

We almost went there the last time we were over. The wait at Just for You seemed a bit hopeless.

Unfortunately, no pancakes at Hard Knox, which I was really in the mood for, so we opted to wait.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Strictly breakfast, not brunch, especially weekday breakfast, my two favorite breakfast places in San Francisco are Buena Vista Cafe in Fisherman's Wharf and Bocadillo's in Financial District/North Beach. The food, location, and atmosphere of these two places are just uniquely San Francisco.

GRITS! Now, who has the guts to serve grits in this town? That shows some individuality - and I like it.

Hard Knox right around the corner on 3rd serves grits with the breakfast....

Powell's in my backyard (Fillmore district) has them as well...

How is the breakfast at Hard Knox?

We almost went there the last time we were over.  The wait at Just for You seemed a bit hopeless.

Unfortunately, no pancakes at Hard Knox, which I was really in the mood for, so we opted to wait.

We went there once for brunch but I ended up with a lunch item. I wanted grits so I just asked to subsitute grits for one of my side dishes.

To be honest, I'm not that impress with Just for You to wait in line for a table. The beginets are good as they come out pipping hot. If I see a line, I tend to just head over to Hard Knox. The downside is that Hard Knox opens much later. I think around 11am.

I thought Dottie's was a SF favorite? Also there was a place in Hayes valley we used to go for southern cooking that had killer biscuits I can not remember the name. How about Moms in N.B.? We used to go to all three of these when we were in S.F. on a regular basis. Have not been in a couple of years.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Being an infrequent SF visitor, I'll need some help from locals with the name, but there was a French woman who opened a crepe shop downtown...I was staying near Moscone, and walked kinda of toward China Town just a few blocks. It was very small, but her personality and good food made it a great breakfast. I opted for the nutella crepe instead of anything fancy.

• 1 month later...

Mmm...was the crepe place near Union Square (which is between Moscone and Chinatown)? I can't think of one in that area but I think there are lots of little breakfast places around for the hotels and conference traffic.

Has anyone eaten at Canteen for breakfast/brunch?

I recently had a nice dinner there (click) and am intrigued about trying them out for weekend brunch. They used to have breakfast during the week as well but I've heard that has been discontinued since the neighboring hotel managment changed.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments on breakfast/brunch at Canteen? (I think now they are only open for weekend brunch.)

I had a great dinner there a few weeks back so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the brunches as well, but would like to hear other's comments.

I've heard they make killer eggs benedict and breakfast hash with corned beef made in-house. The seaonally-inspired French toasts and pancakes also sound great and I think they also typically offer some more "lunch-style" options at brunch as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...

Had a very nice, if somewhat expensive, brunch at Foreign Cinema on Sunday.

Fresh huckleberry "Pop-Tarts", slow cooked eggs with favas and peas, a frisee salad with poached eggs and duck breast. Tasty.

The crowd is a pretty business-ey. Folks on the left talking about real estate investment and the folks on the right talking about the pros and cons of investing in big media. My wife and I decided we needed to have a conversation about our imaginary vacation home on Majorca.

Service was friendly and competent. Some odd confusion about what dishes went to which table. Perhaps because we were dining on the patio? Good coffee and OK iced tea, (when will restaurants stop making flavored iced tea?)

If you're in the mood for an upscale brunch, or Mom and Dad are in town, I'd recommend it.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Had a very nice, if somewhat expensive, brunch at Foreign Cinema on Sunday.

Thanks for reminding me about FC -- not because I especially like eating out for breakfast or brunch, but just because I'd like to go and watch one of their movies!!!

I recently returned from a short trip to San Francisco with a couple of breakfasts under my belt.

First, a ham and cheese turnover at Acme Bread in the Ferry Building was out of this world good. So rich it almost ruined me for the entire day.

Second, a Sunday brunch at the Rex Cafe. Very underwhelming.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

I found a darling little place in the Marina/Cow Hollow area for brunch. It's Abigail's Bakery and Cafe on Greenwich off of Fillmore. The food was delicious! And prices are really good, especially for the area.

Any comments on breakfast/brunch at Canteen?  (I think now they are only open for weekend brunch.)

I had a great dinner there a few weeks back so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the brunches as well, but would like to hear other's comments.

I've heard they make killer eggs benedict and breakfast hash with corned beef made in-house.  The seaonally-inspired French toasts and pancakes also sound great and I think they also typically offer some more "lunch-style" options at brunch as well.

Canteen's eggs benedict are splendid indeed. I think it might just be my favorite spot for a weekend brunch. Universal Cafe is by all accounts another superb option, but the lines are somewhat risible.

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_23992_4701_77862.jpg

Home Plate

2274 Lombard St. (Between Steiner and Pierce)

415-922-4663

As witnessed by the various write-ups and awards in the window, Home Plate is not exactly unknown, but I have been surprised that nobody here mentions it.

gallery_23992_4701_48928.jpg

The selections, either on the regular menu, or the "specials" posted on a board on the wall, have not changed a bit over the several years I've been going here, whenever I'm in town, but there's so much to choose from, I don't get tired of it, even several days in a row, which I do from time to time...

gallery_23992_4701_150035.jpg

Things always start out on the right note with a freshly-baked, warm scone.

gallery_23992_4701_31942.jpg

This trip only allowed one visit here, and despite the more exotic options available, I have a hard time resisting their pancakes. There's nothing unusual about them, except that they're impossibly light and fluffy, and served with generous amounts of good, fresh fruit.

gallery_23992_4701_90077.jpg

The applewood-smoked bacon is a side-order, but always worth-it.

I've had most everything on that white board, and liked all of it. Wish I'd had a few more days to work down the list...

There's less-than-zero ambience, just basic diner tables and an open kitchen. Service is friendly, if a bit frazzled at all times. Prices are not cheap, but seem fair to me for the quality and portions.

I apologize in advance if I cause any addictions to their scones and the little potato pancakes that accompany most plates.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      When my mother recently passed away, because we are a scattered family, one of my younger brothers had the great idea of setting up a private Facebook page for the immediate family to talk in – mainly about funeral arrangements but also just in general.

One topic, which I inadvertently started, was about her cooking. It’s fair to say, and she would agree, that cooking was not her forte. She was able to feed us but it was never exciting. That’s me being respectful.

So we were joking amongst ourselves about that when the subject of her two most ‘original’ recipes came up and we each tried to remember exactly what was in them. Here, to the best of our ability, is what we agreed on.

Pasta Mish-Mash

Ingredients:

Pasta. This had to be Marshall’s macaroni, a Scottish speciality and the only pasta I ever ate until I was about 18 years-old, apart from tinned spaghetti, usually in the form of spaghetti hoops.

Bacon. This would normally be unsmoked Ayrshire back bacon. Not American bacon!

Onions. White onions. We didn’t know they came in other colours.

Tomatoes. Scottish tomatoes are surprisingly good.

Salt. Common iodised table salt. You know. Natural salt. None of your fancy sea flavoured salt nonsense!

Pepper. Black pre-ground and stale.

Method:

Boil pasta according to pack instructions. Or a bit longer if you get distracted. Drain.

Cut bacon into pieces. Chop onion approximately finely. Chop tomatoes into eighths. Fry bacon and vegetables. When ready add drained pasta and mix. Apply seasoning if you remember. Even if you remember, under season.

Serve.

Polish Salad

During WWII, around 17,000 Polish soldiers were stationed in Scotland, first temporarily in the border areas but later in east Scotland where my mother lived. (Her elder sister married one of them). Family lore has it (from my mother) that she learned this recipe from one or more of those soldiers.

I’m fairly certain that there was little if anything Polish about it, but suppose its possible it was those soldiers’ attempt to recreate something from home without really knowing the recipe and having to use whatever they could find in the way of ingredients.

If anyone here is Polish, of Polish descent or just knows more about Polish food than I do knows of any Polish dish that this could even vaguely resemble, I’d love to know. It was memorably distinctive - bright purple. I'm sure it glowed in the dark.

Ingredients:

Tomatoes

Onions

Apples

Hard boiled eggs

Pickled beetroot (store bought and pickled in malt vinegar)

Heinz Tomato Ketchup

Brown Sauce, preferably HP Sauce.

Method:

Chop all the ingredients except the ketchup and brown sauce into small pieces and mix together.

Mix ketchup and brown sauce in a 50:50 ratio, and fold into the other ingredients. If too dry, add a little of the beetroot pickling liquid.

Serve

Father's 'recipe' coming up next.

• By Ling
      I've already polished off half a box of Harvest Crunch Granola today. I haven't really eaten cereal in years, but these crunchy granola clusters are hard to resist.
      What's your favourite cereal, and what do you eat with it?
      (Big bowl, big spoon, and 2% milk for me.)
    • By Kasia
      LUNCH FROM THE JAR, I.E. LAYERED SALAD IN THE OFFICE

Most of us take lunch boxes to the office. Some lucky people can warm their food up at work The rest have to eat sandwiches. Sandwiches are great, but even if we absolutely love them we could get fed up with them in the end. Regardless of where we work we can save the situation with salads. Every day we can prepare a different one and we have an entirely new lunch. If we also take an attractive dish, we have something that is not only tasty but also glamorous.

I would like to share with you the recipe for a salad which looks equally as beautiful as it is yummy. The chickpeas and groats make it a satisfying and balanced meal, after which we won't be hungry. I think that if you prepare your lunch in the morning and plan to eat it at lunchtime, we should keep the salad and the dip separately. Otherwise, after a few hours in the jar, we have an unappetising dish with squishy lettuce, which isn't what we want, is it?

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      1 beetroot
      200g of tinned chickpeas
      100g of bulgur
      1 carrot
      1 fresh green pepper
      4 lettuce leaves
      200g of natural yoghurt
      handful of minced chives
      1 small chili pepper
      salt and pepper

Clean the beetroot and bake or boil it. Grate the beetroot and carrot. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Boil the bulgur in salty water. Arrange in layers in a jar the beetroot, chickpeas, pepper, bulgur, carrot and lettuce. Dice the chili pepper. Mix the natural yoghurt with the chives and chili pepper. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Add the dip to the salad just before serving.

• By Kasia
      ALMOND CUSCUS WITH CRANBERRIES AND PINEAPPLE

I hate getting up in the morning. My household knows that before 8 o'clock I'm unbearable, and because almost every day I wake up much earlier, I tend to be unbearable more frequently than I want. Every extra five minutes of sleep is priceless, so I appreciate a good breakfast that is not too complicated and is quick to prepare.

Recently, I have been preparing breakfast with groats and flakes. This time I chose cuscus. This product is a cross between pasta and groats, and it doesn't need long to prepare. It is enough to add hot water or milk and leave for a few minutes. I added some fresh pineapple, cranberries and banana. I spiced it up with some hot chili pepper .

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      125g of cuscus
      400ml of almond milk
      1 tablespoon of honey
      1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
      2 slices of fresh pineapple
      1 teaspoon of minced chili pepper
      150g of fresh cranberries
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 banana
      4 tablespoons of flaked almonds

Wash the cranberries and put them into a pot. Add two tablespoons of water and the brown sugar. Boil, stirring gently until the cranberries burst and the sauce has thickened. Boil the almond milk with the vanilla essence. Pour the milk onto the cuscus and leave for 5-7 minutes. Slice the banana and roast the almond flakes. Peel the pineapple and dice it. Mix the pineapple, chili pepper and honey. Add the pineapple to the cuscus and mix it in. Put the mixture into two bowls. Put the cranberries and banana on the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein