• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you go for breakfast in SF?

Stu-i-moto

Went to Elite Cafe on Fillmore this morning -- just happenstance and was completely charmed. I had corned beef hash with poached eggs and a bechemel that was a bit heavy on carrots and celery with roasted potatoes on the side instead of part of the hash. K had a Cajun version made with brisket instead of corned beef, served in a cast-iron skillet that he enjoyed. A side of donut holes made the meal.

My new favorite spot is Just for You Cafe in the dogpatch. Since I don't eat eggs (especially bad ones), I love the fact that they serve pork chops (thin and tasty) and - GRITS! Now, who has the guts to serve grits in this town? That shows some individuality - and I like it.

I have had mixed results with their beignets. At times, they are fluffy and hot and great with some honey drizzled over. Other times, they are greasy and dense, and put me into a food coma (a definite no-no for breakfast - after all, you have the whole day ahead, no?)

What I don't like is that it's cash-only. But there's an ATM in the convenience store next door. Good enough for me in a pinch.

Stu Fisher - Owner

Tastee Cheese

www.tasteecheese.com

stu@tasteecheese.com

How is the breakfast at Hard Knox?

We almost went there the last time we were over. The wait at Just for You seemed a bit hopeless.

Unfortunately, no pancakes at Hard Knox, which I was really in the mood for, so we opted to wait.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Strictly breakfast, not brunch, especially weekday breakfast, my two favorite breakfast places in San Francisco are Buena Vista Cafe in Fisherman's Wharf and Bocadillo's in Financial District/North Beach. The food, location, and atmosphere of these two places are just uniquely San Francisco.

GRITS! Now, who has the guts to serve grits in this town? That shows some individuality - and I like it.

Hard Knox right around the corner on 3rd serves grits with the breakfast....

Powell's in my backyard (Fillmore district) has them as well...

How is the breakfast at Hard Knox?

We almost went there the last time we were over.  The wait at Just for You seemed a bit hopeless.

Unfortunately, no pancakes at Hard Knox, which I was really in the mood for, so we opted to wait.

We went there once for brunch but I ended up with a lunch item. I wanted grits so I just asked to subsitute grits for one of my side dishes.

To be honest, I'm not that impress with Just for You to wait in line for a table. The beginets are good as they come out pipping hot. If I see a line, I tend to just head over to Hard Knox. The downside is that Hard Knox opens much later. I think around 11am.

I thought Dottie's was a SF favorite? Also there was a place in Hayes valley we used to go for southern cooking that had killer biscuits I can not remember the name. How about Moms in N.B.? We used to go to all three of these when we were in S.F. on a regular basis. Have not been in a couple of years.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Being an infrequent SF visitor, I'll need some help from locals with the name, but there was a French woman who opened a crepe shop downtown...I was staying near Moscone, and walked kinda of toward China Town just a few blocks. It was very small, but her personality and good food made it a great breakfast. I opted for the nutella crepe instead of anything fancy.

• 1 month later...

Mmm...was the crepe place near Union Square (which is between Moscone and Chinatown)? I can't think of one in that area but I think there are lots of little breakfast places around for the hotels and conference traffic.

Has anyone eaten at Canteen for breakfast/brunch?

I recently had a nice dinner there (click) and am intrigued about trying them out for weekend brunch. They used to have breakfast during the week as well but I've heard that has been discontinued since the neighboring hotel managment changed.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments on breakfast/brunch at Canteen? (I think now they are only open for weekend brunch.)

I had a great dinner there a few weeks back so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the brunches as well, but would like to hear other's comments.

I've heard they make killer eggs benedict and breakfast hash with corned beef made in-house. The seaonally-inspired French toasts and pancakes also sound great and I think they also typically offer some more "lunch-style" options at brunch as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...

Had a very nice, if somewhat expensive, brunch at Foreign Cinema on Sunday.

Fresh huckleberry "Pop-Tarts", slow cooked eggs with favas and peas, a frisee salad with poached eggs and duck breast. Tasty.

The crowd is a pretty business-ey. Folks on the left talking about real estate investment and the folks on the right talking about the pros and cons of investing in big media. My wife and I decided we needed to have a conversation about our imaginary vacation home on Majorca.

Service was friendly and competent. Some odd confusion about what dishes went to which table. Perhaps because we were dining on the patio? Good coffee and OK iced tea, (when will restaurants stop making flavored iced tea?)

If you're in the mood for an upscale brunch, or Mom and Dad are in town, I'd recommend it.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Had a very nice, if somewhat expensive, brunch at Foreign Cinema on Sunday.

Thanks for reminding me about FC -- not because I especially like eating out for breakfast or brunch, but just because I'd like to go and watch one of their movies!!!

I recently returned from a short trip to San Francisco with a couple of breakfasts under my belt.

First, a ham and cheese turnover at Acme Bread in the Ferry Building was out of this world good. So rich it almost ruined me for the entire day.

Second, a Sunday brunch at the Rex Cafe. Very underwhelming.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

I found a darling little place in the Marina/Cow Hollow area for brunch. It's Abigail's Bakery and Cafe on Greenwich off of Fillmore. The food was delicious! And prices are really good, especially for the area.

Any comments on breakfast/brunch at Canteen?  (I think now they are only open for weekend brunch.)

I had a great dinner there a few weeks back so I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the brunches as well, but would like to hear other's comments.

I've heard they make killer eggs benedict and breakfast hash with corned beef made in-house.  The seaonally-inspired French toasts and pancakes also sound great and I think they also typically offer some more "lunch-style" options at brunch as well.

Canteen's eggs benedict are splendid indeed. I think it might just be my favorite spot for a weekend brunch. Universal Cafe is by all accounts another superb option, but the lines are somewhat risible.

"Sauce separates you from the money. Make a good sauce, you make the money."

-- James Willis

• 4 weeks later...

gallery_23992_4701_77862.jpg

Home Plate

2274 Lombard St. (Between Steiner and Pierce)

415-922-4663

As witnessed by the various write-ups and awards in the window, Home Plate is not exactly unknown, but I have been surprised that nobody here mentions it.

gallery_23992_4701_48928.jpg

The selections, either on the regular menu, or the "specials" posted on a board on the wall, have not changed a bit over the several years I've been going here, whenever I'm in town, but there's so much to choose from, I don't get tired of it, even several days in a row, which I do from time to time...

gallery_23992_4701_150035.jpg

Things always start out on the right note with a freshly-baked, warm scone.

gallery_23992_4701_31942.jpg

This trip only allowed one visit here, and despite the more exotic options available, I have a hard time resisting their pancakes. There's nothing unusual about them, except that they're impossibly light and fluffy, and served with generous amounts of good, fresh fruit.

gallery_23992_4701_90077.jpg

The applewood-smoked bacon is a side-order, but always worth-it.

I've had most everything on that white board, and liked all of it. Wish I'd had a few more days to work down the list...

There's less-than-zero ambience, just basic diner tables and an open kitchen. Service is friendly, if a bit frazzled at all times. Prices are not cheap, but seem fair to me for the quality and portions.

I apologize in advance if I cause any addictions to their scones and the little potato pancakes that accompany most plates.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com