• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOB - What's Your Favorite Under $10 Wine

Peter Conway

I am compiling a list of great under $10 wines available in New Jersey for an article.

The list I have so far is:

Whites

Naia Verdejo Rueda

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc

Zenato Lugana San Benedeto

Reds

Marchesi Di Barolo Barbera D'alba

Colonia Las Liebres Bonarda

Altos Las Hormigas Malbec

Do you have any favorites, if you do what is the name and where do you get it.

Thanks

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Thanks to a certain eG pal, Zardetto Prosecco is definitely a go-to for me for BYO, and it's under $10! I can usually find it at Bottle King and Total Wine.

You stole one from me (Altos Hormigas--YUM!), but here are a few others that I consistently buy:

-Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc (believe it or not, my local Shop Rite liquor

store almost always has this one in stock!)

-Ca 'del Solo Big House Red (anywhere)

-Rancho Zabaco Dancing Bull Zinfandel (the under-$10 version is just fine, and

most places seem to carry it)

-Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages (when it's a good year)

Edit:

-DUH. Believe it or not, Bella Sera Pinot Grigio (Sometimes tougher to find in NJ than in other states, but I usually find it somewhere)

Of course, now I think it's time to open a bottle of red... :wink:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Robert Mondavi 2004 Private Selection Johannisberg Riesling

Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Johannisberg Riesling 2004 and 2003 :wub:

(or turning leaf... that's inexpensive as well)

Carmel (Israeli) OR - Beringer 2004 Napa Valley - Sauvignon Blanc

Raymond Reserve Sauvignon Blanc (melon/apple tastes/undertones) tasty!

Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc 2004

All of the above are 9.00 to 11.00 in price depending where you shop. I suggest online (froogle or some site for comparison!) They go good with fish, chicken, dessert etc... very tasty!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Osborne Solaz Tempranillo/Cabernet is usually around $7/bottle. Total Wine carries it. A bargain from Spain that is my standard "grab-and-go" for the BYOB wine.

Segura Viudas Brut Cava Reserva. Delicious nonvintage sparkler. I usually find this at Canal's, but that's in southern NJ by your standards. Pretty widely available though, I think.

Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone "Les Abeilles". Not sure where to find in NJ, but Wineaccess.com allows you to find the closest retailer. Always a delicious and value minded wine.

Any of the Bonny Doon Big House wines (red, white or pink) or any of the Bonny Doon Cal-Ital blends under the Ca del Solo label. Nationally available.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i'm so used to reading your blog for wine tips, peter, that it's odd to be giving the tips.

my closet usually has a lot of the following for everyday drinking and for the quick grab on the way to a BYOB:

- tosca toscana 2001 - a very drinkable sangiovese available at bottle king for about 8/9 dollars

- paul cheneau blanc de blancs - cava available at bottle king for about 6 bucks

- zardetto prosecco - which is now so ubiquitous that i wouldn't be surpised if the price creeps over 10 bucks soon.

- practically any white from new zealand (you know the usual suspects), though they are creeping over 10 these days.

- marius chardonnay 2003 - a surprisingly zippy and deftly-oaked 7 dollar wine from france. - carlo russo in ho-ho-kus.

- bollini pinot grigio 2002 - a well-balanced, to my palate, white that would please even those who drink only santa margherita at twice the price - and it has a synthetic cork (no one likes suprises of TCA when they're at a BYOB) - bottle king

- Dr. Loosen riesling 2002/03/04 - twist top and always a pleasure. - 8/9 bucks at bottle king

- red truck from Cline - a somewhat simple, fruit-forward blend that pairs well with a burger or pizza - bottle king

edit to add:

chambers and reed 2002 (2003?) cab - bottle king for 10 bucks. this wine continues to amaze me. i suppose its fruit-forwardness appeals to my recent tastes, but this wine always seems to me that it should be priced at 15-20 dollars, rather than 10. i think i'll have to have some tonight just to make sure.

Edited by tommy (log)

- Dr. Loosen riesling 2002/03/04 - twist top and always a pleasure. - 8/9 bucks at bottle king

Can't believe I forgot that one! DUH.

And do you think we can refer to the 'twist top' as a Stelvin closure so we don't sound like we're talking about under-$10 wines?!? :laugh::wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I buy these wines all the time in bulk from Brewers World in Dumont, and find them to be of great value:

Michele Chiarlo- Barbera (just a plain solid wine in every respect)

Taurino- Salice Salentino (most years have a really concentrated flavor, almost Amarone-like, and a funky personality to boot)

B & G- Vouvray (crisp and acidic with a small amount of residual sugar and really nice floral/herbal notes. Not just food friendly, it's 'friendly' period)

The Chiarlo is in the $11 range, but gets closer to 10 by the case. The others are normally under 10.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Bogle Syrah and Bogle Cabernet Sauvignon

Smoking Loon Cabernet Sauvignon

Ca del Solo Big House Red (Bonny Doon)

Ravenswood Vintner's Blend Zinfandel

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Osborne Solaz Tempranillo/Cabernet is usually around $7/bottle.  Total Wine carries it.  A bargain from Spain that is my standard "grab-and-go" fpr the BYOB wine.

Segura Viudas Brut Cava Reserva.  Delicious nonvintage sparkler.  I usually find this at Canal's, but that's in southern NJ by your standards.  Pretty widely available though, I think.

Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone "Les Abeilles".  Not sure where to find in NJ, but Wineaccess.com allows you to find the closest retailer.  Always a delicious and value minded wine.

Any of the Bonny Doon Big House wines (red, white or pink) or any of the Bonny Doon Cal-Ital blends under the Ca del Solo label.  Nationally available.

Katie:

Having just visited the Cote du Rhone region last October and specifically, Gigondas vineyards, I was excited to see your recommendation for the Les Abeilles. Is it available here in our remade state system? I tend to like these and Cote Rotie as well, especially Guigal's wines.

Osborne Solaz Tempranillo/Cabernet is usually around $7/bottle.  Total Wine carries it.  A bargain from Spain that is my standard "grab-and-go" fpr the BYOB wine.

Segura Viudas Brut Cava Reserva.  Delicious nonvintage sparkler.  I usually find this at Canal's, but that's in southern NJ by your standards.  Pretty widely available though, I think.

Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone "Les Abeilles".  Not sure where to find in NJ, but Wineaccess.com allows you to find the closest retailer.  Always a delicious and value minded wine.

Any of the Bonny Doon Big House wines (red, white or pink) or any of the Bonny Doon Cal-Ital blends under the Ca del Solo label.  Nationally available.

Katie:

Having just visited the Cote du Rhone region last October and specifically, Gigondas vineyards, I was excited to see your recommendation for the Les Abeilles. Is it available here in our remade state system? I tend to like these and Cote Rotie as well, especially Guigal's wines.

Jeff:

According to the search feature the state has both the '99 and the '03 "Les Abeilles" but there isn't a lot of either left. It was abundant at 12th & Chestnut several months ago. I've seen it through several vintages so I suspect it'll be back eventually.

The Colombo Syrah "La Violette" is also a good value for $8.99. The '03 is showing as available at the New Hope store up your way. There's a "La Violette" Viognier for $9.99 as well that's lovely and there's a bit of that still about.

These wines would also qualify as good recommendations for the article if they can be found in Jersey.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol