• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] David Bull, Driskill Grill

Chris Cognac

Folks, i am trying to do a bit of research before I leave for Iron Chef next week. One of the episodes I am juding will feature David Bull of Driskill Grill in Austin TX. I know I love Texas, should I love this guy? Tell me about him, what to expect, what to look out for etc.

Thanks Chris

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

The Driskill Grill is at the absolute pinnacle of high-end dining in Austin. A lot of this is due not just to the cooking but to the location, interiors and service but the food does live up to the price.

David Bull was recognized as one of Food & Wine magazine's Best New Chefs of 2003.

A video interview in which the chef is surprisingly modest. The shots of the dishes should give you an idea of the kind of innovative cuisine he serves.

His bio from The Driskill website.

The Driskill Grill is at the absolute pinnacle of high-end dining in Austin. A lot of this is due not just to the cooking but to the location, interiors and service but the food does live up to the price.

David Bull was recognized as one of Food & Wine magazine's Best New Chefs of 2003.

A video interview in which the chef is surprisingly modest. The shots of the dishes should give you an idea of the kind of innovative cuisine he serves.

His bio from The Driskill website.

what a great video peice - it really highlights Austin in the manner it should be seen in!

Folks, i am trying to do a bit of research before I leave for Iron Chef next week. One of the episodes I am juding will feature David Bull of Driskill Grill in Austin TX. I know I love Texas, should I love this guy? Tell me about him, what to expect, what to look out for etc.

Thanks Chris

Having only eaten at his place once, I can't give you so much of an in depth of what Chef Bull is all about, though I can say the flavors of his dishes are always very balanced. He mixes in Texan produce and cuisine very well with French techniques. From what I'd eaten, he likes to use slight touches of Asian flair in his dishes. He stopped by to my table to say hi, and from what I garnered, he's very professional and humble. The food at driskill isn't what I'd call cutting edge but it is very well prepared and well thought out.

If I had to compare him to a New York chef, I'd probably compare his food to Dante Boccuzzi (or Charlie Palmer, whoever you want to attribute the food to) but with much better plating and more of a comfortable feel to his food.

hope it helps and you're one lucky dog for getting this gig.

Enjoy yourself, do eG proud.

Isn't this cheating? It seems to me that you should judge which chef "reigns supreme" by the preparation and presentation that night. Granted, you know the reputation of the Iron Chef (which from your posts I assume is Bobby Flay). I guess you are trying to determine if the opponent is worthy. Having eaten at the Driskill several times, I say he is.

Enjoy your judging. That is so cool.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Isn't this cheating?  It seems to me that you should judge which chef "reigns supreme" by the preparation and presentation that night.  Granted, you know the reputation of the Iron Chef (which from your posts I assume is Bobby Flay).  I guess you are trying to determine if the opponent is worthy.  Having eaten at the Driskill several times, I say he is.

Enjoy your judging.  That is so cool.

I have eaten Bobbys food and just want to know as much about Chef Bull as I can so I can make educated comments and look for certian things in his dishes.....its not cheating, just good research...of course I can make comments like the others so you can all make fun of what a crappy judge I am if you would like :shock:

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Please keep us updated on when this episode will air.

Yeah . . . I want to know if I should look for the giggle behind the hand. Seriously :raz: we want to know if you can actually eat this stuff.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...