• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Food in Orlando

goshi

Recommend any authentic Chinese food in Orlando.

Honestly, and I'm not being pessimistic or overly critical here, there is NO good Chinese food in Orlando. In fact, the Sentinel food critic passed on a winner in the Foodie awards.

Instead, eat some Vietnamese or Japanese - there are good options there.

Vietnamese - Lac Viet, Little Saigon, Viet Garden, Pho 88

Japanese - Nagoya, Hanamizuki, Amura

Thai is OK here, couple options we've liked include Red bamboo and G&G Thai.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, and I'm not being pessimistic or overly critical here, there is NO good Chinese food in Orlando. In fact, the Sentinel food critic passed on a winner in the Foodie awards.

Hi Bill - We're going to Orlando next weekend. Little overnight for some shopping. Will be staying near Hanamizuki. Can you recommend it over the other places your mentioned (we're like to get in a bit of practice before our trip to Japan next month)? Regards, Robyn

Being chinese and being an hour from Orlando, I'm going to concur with this statement.

Theres really no "good" place, as in outstanding. There are some places that are consistently ok, but nothing head and shoulders above the others.

Chans over on 50 is packed every weekend. Ming Court is all atmosphere, but the food is a joke.

Dukeofurl - Where are you in Florida? We are near Jacksonville - and it now has reasonably authentic Chinese food (including chicken feet!). Most of these places are cheap buffet places - all you can eat for $6. Nothing fantastic - but at least it is edible/ok Chinese food (which it wasn't 5 years ago - 5 years ago I was probably the best Chinese chef in town). There's also a new higher end place opened by a CIA grad from a Chinese/American restaurant family in Jacksonville. It's pretty good. Just hope things remain stable or get better - one of our biggest Chinese buffet places just got busted the other day - turns out all that authentic Chinese food was being prepared by authentic illegal Chinese immigrants <sigh>.

• 1 month later...

Greetings:

Whenever we are in Orlando for vacation, we eat at these restaurants for good Chinese Food between 4-6 times total. They are as close to NY Chinatown food we can get.

They both have dimsum on a daily basis off the dimsum menu. TY has a dimsum cart on weekends. Don't know about TOHK dimsum cart

Trey Yuen Restaurant

6800 Visitors Cir

Orlando, FL 32819-8227

(407) 352-6822

Standard dim sum fare of har gow, sui mei, steamed pork bean curd roll etc...are okay to very good. We liked their most of their deep fried dim sum.

DH loves their Beef Lo Mein and Beef Chow Fun.

We've also have had cold jellyfish, cold meats appetiser platter. They also have wonton noodle cantonese style soups. We enjoy their stir fried dishes.

Taste of Hong Kong

6540 Carrier Dr

Orlando, FL 32819

(407) 248-2863

We like the dimsum at Trey Yuen more but this gives us a second option.

We like the steamed fresh oysters with black bean sauce.

We LOVE the chinese sausage fried rice here and their scrambled egg/shrimp dish.

We look forward to visiting these restaurants in May when we visit Orlando.

Edited by kaijubunny (log)

• 3 months later...

After reading this review,

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainme...mostemailedlink

I ventured down to Ming's Bistro today for lunch with my family. Wow, we were very pleasantly surprised! We had some dim sum, as well as a panfried noodle dish, congee, and Chinese broccoli. This was the first authentic Chinese food that we have had since leaving Mountain View, CA almost 3 years ago. Besides the delicious food, the restaurant was spotlessly clean and the service was pleasant. We may go back to Ming's again tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up about Ming's Bistro. I will definitely have to stop by there before my stint in Orlando is up and i have to return 80 miles west to the other culinary wasteland, Tampa.

If Scott Joseph in his Orlando Sentinel review thinks that most Chinese food in Central Florida is disappointing he ought to try the Chinese scene in West Central Florida. There are literally only like 3 restaurants that I know of in the greater Tampa Bay area that serve dim sum. Now consider that the greater Tampa Bay area is supposed to consist of like 6 counties and over 1 million people it's just sad.

Anyhow, I supposedly hear good things about Lam's Garden on Colonial. My local colleague is Cantonese and that's where he and his family go to celebrate special occasions. Personally, I have been to Chan's on Colonial and while the food is genuine Cantonese I somehow find the food lacking. However, it still beats the options I have in Tampa. :huh:

thanks again for the heads up on Ming's.

--Steve