• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Renwood 1996

Andre

Zinfandel Renwood 1996

To say that I am big fan of Zinfandel would be a lie. The vines have to be quite old to produce complexity and character that I may find interesting so this one had not been the subject of my dreams. The following was quite a bit of surprise:

The back label reads: The grandfather of Zinfandel Grandpere Zinfandel, Amador County.

This is a fully blown extremely well balance full bodied Zinfandel at the peak of anything I had ever tasted before from this variety [unless blended]. Very ripe fruit flavors dominated by plums. The right amount of spicy-peppery feel is now one with the tannins, finely tuned and providing a smooth consistent pleasure throughout its consumption. A hint of bitterness in the aftertaste further compliments and allows more balance and greater complexity.

Drink through 2006.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Zinfandel Renwood 1996

To say that I am big fan of Zinfandel would be a lie. The vines have to be quite old to produce complexity and character that I may find interesting so this one had not been the subject of my dreams. The following was quite a bit of surprise:

The back label reads: The grandfather of Zinfandel Grandpere Zinfandel, Amador County.

This is a fully blown extremely well balance full bodied Zinfandel at the peak of anything I had ever tasted before from this variety [unless blended]. Very ripe fruit flavors dominated by plums. The right amount of  spicy-peppery feel is now one with the tannins, finely tuned and providing a smooth consistent pleasure throughout its consumption. A hint of bitterness in the aftertaste further compliments and allows more balance and greater complexity.

Drink through 2006.

Nice description. I have not tried this vintage for several years. From what I remember the Grandpere is made from vines that are averaging 50+ years. Big, rich, and alcoholic (15%++) as I remember with amazing amounts of briar, raspberry, and hints of chocolate. Was it expensive to buy in your country?

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Greetings Stephen,

The wine is not officially imported to Israel and this specific bottle was bought in the States [ Not cheap at all ].

I did not find the wine alcoholic and the label states 14.5%. It seems to bein perfect condition right now.

The back label states:

" A wine of rare quality from one of America's oldest vineyards"

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.