• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local Cookbooks

No, I didn't find that one cup of milk was enough. I eyeballed everything that went into the custard and I'm guessing I used 1 1/3 cups of cream for a cake made with about 1 1/2 cups of flour. You can see the texture of the pudding in my photo--it's very moist.

(The pudding was baked in an 8" round pan. The cake cubes + custard measured about 2.5" in depth, I would guess.)

Edited by Ling (log)

first off, ling, that peanut butter ganache cookie, looks dangerous! it combines some of my favourite things together. you are now my pastry goddess! i will be trying that out next time i have some time to bake.

i finally had time to upload some pics. here's my first adventure from the feenie's cookbook. the roast chicken with tomatoes, roasted peppers, olives and capers.

the beginnings of the butter braised tomatoes with fresh rosemary and thyme and loads of butter

gallery_32080_2466_75482.jpg

finished tomatoes

gallery_32080_2466_23175.jpg

the chicken roasted in my beloved cast iron pan

gallery_32080_2466_61871.jpg

plated with baked saffron risotto, beets and brocollini

gallery_32080_2466_32985.jpg

the finished sauce was delicious. it was done with some capers, kalamata olives, garlic, and stock (thanks to the stock market), and a handful of fresh herbs thrown in at the end. briney and savoury and zingy! the butter poached tomatoes were also very good. we used the leftovers in omelettes a few days later. i will definitely make this again!

Quentina

I have Feenie's book, & have been wondering if I could freeze his Veggie Burgers. We don't have too many meatless meals ouselves, but it would be great to have them on hand for our twigs & berries crowd. Any thoughts?

I made the apple frangipane galette out of the Feenie's cookbook today.

Brief notes:

-lowered amount of sugar

-substituted ground hazelnuts for almonds

-made dulce de leche instead of the caramel sauce

-made puff pastry instead of using frozen

-added bit of cardamom

-baked for 22 minutes instead of 12-15 at 400 degrees

-did not have any of their wonderful vanilla ice-cream to serve with it :sad:

Great recipe, and very simple to do! :)

Apple galette photo

I made the apple frangipane galette out of the Feenie's cookbook today.

Brief notes:

-lowered amount of sugar

-substituted ground hazelnuts for almonds

-made dulce de leche instead of the caramel sauce

-made puff pastry instead of using frozen

-added bit of cardamom

-baked for 22 minutes instead of 12-15 at 400 degrees

-did not have any of their wonderful vanilla ice-cream to serve with it  :sad:

Great recipe, and very simple to do! :)

Apple galette photo

You made puff pastry? How many folds???

My kitchen doors are open....

Chef/Owner/Teacher

^Is that a serious offer? :wink: I would love to spend an afternoon in your new kitchen! Folds? I think you mean "turns"? I did six turns.

link to photos of the puff pastry, pain au chocolat, and Portuguese tarts I made yesterday

(and if you scroll down a little further, you'll also see the brownies I always make...I did quite a bit of baking that day :laugh: )

Edited by Ling (log)

^Is that a serious offer?  :wink:  I would love to spend an afternoon in your new kitchen! Folds? I think you mean "turns"? I did six turns.

link to photos of the puff pastry, pain au chocolat, and Portuguese tarts I made yesterday

(and if you scroll down a little further, you'll also see the brownies I always make...I did quite a bit of baking that day  :laugh: )

sorry, folds, turns...bad translation from French. Offer is open, bring your camera and my ovens are always available to you!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

The Feenie's short ribs are a favourite at my house. The problem is that, while good on the first day, really it has to be eaten on day 2 and 3 to fully enjoy the true meaty, juicy goodness. I usually make it while cooking another dish so that we aren't tempted to eat it right away.

On an aside, and as a person who lived in TO for a few years, I'm curious about the Susur cookbook. Interesting format. Anyone cook from it yet?

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

^Wow, how amazing! I look forward to your comments (and perhaps photos?) :smile: I love Susur's presentation...what an artistic eye. I especially admire the photos on page 2.3 (Whole Five Spice Roast Squab) and 2.32 (Roast Whole Rabbit with Preserved Lemon Chili Honey Glaze).

I ended up splurging on a bunch of cookbooks that were on sale that interested me. One of them was local and featured many recipes from Vancouver's leading restaurants. Dining Out At Home Vancouver Served by Myriam Leighton and Jennifer Stead

Has some really wonderful recipes that I want to try. Feenies Apple Galette Frangipane with Caramel Sauce is in the book. Also from Deliah is a decadent looking Chocolate and Passion fruit Truffle Torte.

There is a recipe for the Flaming Prawns from the Fish House in Stanley Park. Does anyone know what I could substitute for feta cheese. I just cannot eat it. Also, thought I might try to make the crab ravioli from the Blue Water Cafe.

The book had 99 recipes and was only 9.99 and with my discount card it came to 8.99 at Chapters so I thought it was a great deal to have recipes from Karen Barnaby,Feenie,Larouche and many others.

S.

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!

• 5 months later...

Vikram Vij's new book "Vij's: Elegant and Inspired Indian Food" should be available shortly. I believe the release date is September. I am eagerly awaiting to cook from it!

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

• 1 month later...
Vikram Vij's new book "Vij's: Elegant and Inspired Indian Food" should be available shortly.  I believe the release date is September.  I am eagerly awaiting to cook from it!

Anybody have the book? He was on CTV this morning cooking from it. I have to cater a kosher/vegetarian/Indian Bar Mitzvah party soon - good candidate?

He's been pretty free with Lamb Lollipop recipe - it shows up in Mark Bittman's new cookbook as well as being available from Don Genova's website.

I made them a few weeks back (I had 4 racks of lamb to use up) - and let me tell you - they were really good and damned easy to make. Big payoff for a little effort. Served with roasted potatoes (a la Nigella Lawson), and garlic sauteed green beans. Looked like a superhero. However - once you see the recipe - there is no denying how decadent it is... it starts with a litre of whipping cream!

He's been pretty free with Lamb Lollipop recipe - it shows up in Mark Bittman's new cookbook as well as being available from Don Genova's website.

And it was in the Western Living magazine that was waiting on my doorstep last night. Doesn't fall into kosher or vegetarian, but I'll definitely take a look at the book if I can get to Chapters this weekend.

And it was in the Western Living magazine that was waiting on my doorstep last night. Doesn't fall into kosher or vegetarian, but I'll definitely take a look at the book if I can get to Chapters this weekend.

I was wondering about whether or not it was kosher - because I know dairy+meat is a no no - but what if the dairy and meat were from different animals? In this case lamb + cow's milk. Or is that being too "fine print"?

I was wondering about whether or not it was kosher - because I know dairy+meat is a no no - but what if the dairy and meat were from different animals?  In this case lamb + cow's milk.  Or is that being too "fine print"?

It's all about the fine print! But in the case of milk and meat, we can't mix any dairy with any meat from any animal.