• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
coquus

Is Sous Vide "Real Cooking"?

Admin: Split from the thread on sous vide recipes.

Is anyone sick of this method, do we really need this type of cooking. I hate this method. If you can't cook, try, try again, and you're welcome for the helpful advice. If you think these fancy methods are going to make you a chef you are dead wrong.

What is it that you hate? Frankly, I think the results are remarkable. I am not in the least bit tired of it. I think it will be around for a long time and will continue to bring out the best in many chefs. It doesn't replace traditional cooking, but it sure is a fine addition.

Is anyone sick of this method, do we really need this type of cooking.  I hate this method.  If you can't cook, try, try again, and you're welcome for the helpful advice.  If you think these fancy methods are going to make you a chef you are dead wrong.

Finally!

A voice of reason!

Doc I love being a chef/cook/foodie! But this is fufu stuff!

Don’t get me wrong I will sell this to my dinner guest, with that same passion.

See, I have an industrial size sous vide production area in my kitchen. I also have a coffin size tumbler returm unit(water bath); I will send a picture on Monday.

This is nothing but boil in a bag cooking!

FUFU!

I know I have a way with word! :smile:

"Fufu" it may be, but it makes for some pretty darn good "fufu". I will take it over many applications. I am not a chef and not speaking as such. Since when does something have to be difficult to be good?

Seems like a matter of personal taste, just like all cooking.

I've played with it a bunch at home where I do 5 course dinners for 12 on a regular basis. One advantage for me is that I can hold my entree meat perfectly until I get to that course, whip it out of the bag, give it a quick sear and I get rave reviews every time. The timing is not so crucial and makes for a more relaxing meal for me.

For duck confit, the advantage is being able to use less fat and it takes up a lot less room in my fridge.

So if you don't like it, don't do it!

"Fufu" it may be, but it makes for some pretty darn good "fufu". I will take it over many applications. I am not a chef and not speaking as such. Since when does something have to be difficult to be good?

Doc, it's just my opinion. Don't take it personal, however sometimes we are just food geeks. :wacko:

Agreed Doc and Bryan.

Sous vide is here to stay especially when it comes to banquet style events. It just makes the cooking and holding much better and consistent for all portions.

While it isnt going to replace traditional cooking, it certainly will carve out its place.

I think we are only on the tip of the iceberg so far.

Sous vide could in the next 5 to 10 yrs make an entry into the domestic market for reheating food.

It would just depend in a particular appliance becoming cheaper and more common.

The combi-oven with selectable steam to heat ratio.

So far only a few domestic models are out there like gaggenau but it does an amazing job with sous vide especially for fish.

Speaking of shaking water baths, while you wouldnt use it for sous vide cooking, what it does do brilliantly is holding sauces for high speed plate assembly.

Helped a caterer with a wedding last year, 75 people. All sauces were portioned out into impact resistant test tubes, capped and inserted into a shaker bath. It holds it at exact temp with no reduction or evaporation and the shaking seems to help anything from seperating.

We cant have a defeatist attitude and say its just "FUFU".

You just have to think outside the pot and figure out sensible applications.

I laughed the other day when I was getting a cup of coffee in my local Wawa (a convenience store, for you non-Pennsylvania folks) and I saw one of the workers dropping vacupacked food into a water bath. I thought, wow! Wawa's doing sous-vide!!!

Of course they're not, they're just reheating their frozen stews and hot sandwich fillings, but you know, it might not be that crazy of a concept...

Actually Philadining, Wawa *IS* doing sous vide.

So often in the food world, a technical term from another language tends to be attached only to the most refined execution or the art.

If you are dipping vaccum packed food into hot water, whether it is with an attched thermocouple at Alinea or just slam dunking it at Wawa, it is sous vide.

Of course the results are vastly different (no offense to chef G), but technically it is the same process albeit slightly refined.

It kinda like that annoying trend last year when it seems everything was "A la Plancha".....jeeez!

The scrambled eggs at Ruby's diner on route 66 are "a la Plancha".

I laughed the other day when I was getting a cup of coffee in my local Wawa (a convenience store, for you non-Pennsylvania folks) and I saw one of the workers dropping vacupacked food into a water bath. I thought, wow! Wawa's doing sous-vide!!!  

Of course they're not, they're just reheating their frozen stews and hot sandwich fillings, but you know, it might not be that crazy of a concept...

You got it Phil!

How is it going?

Edited by chefreit (log)

Doc, it's just my opinion. Don't take it personal, however sometimes we are just food geeks. :wacko:

Thanks, Chef. I don't take it personally at all. Sous vide is in reality a simple basic technique, however, it is the subtleties that make it great, such as spicing the dish and finishing it. The only thing making it difficult right now is the relative hassle and expense of the equipment. The hassle factor is primarily in getting satisfactory equipment and finding the space to keep and use it. The bottom line though is that it works and works quite well. If places like Wawa put out an affordable and palatable product as a result of the technique so much the better.

Thanks, Chef. I don't take it personally at all. Sous vide is in reality a simple basic technique, however, it is the subtleties that make it great, such as spicing the dish and finishing it. The only thing making it difficult right now is the relative hassle and expense of the equipment. The hassle factor is primarily in getting satisfactory equipment and finding the space to keep and use it. The bottom line though is that it works and works quite well. If places like Wawa put out an affordable and palatable product as a result of the technique so much the better.

No that is what I’m talking about!

I use the slow roasting all the time................

Sometimes in covered or uncovered roasting pans, terra cotta pots, diluted marinades, and sauces (this makes GREAT brisket) or brines (also great Chicago style beef). I love it..........!

In fact, it will be the first thing going I'm going to cook in my sous vide production area. I will let you know!

Hey chefreit, what's up?

I can see why it would seem like sous vide is merely a fad, but I suspect it's here to stay, simply because it is so versatile.

From a purely pragmatic side, with a well-regulated water bath, it should allow an amazing level of consistency and repeatablility, no small concern in a commercial kitchen.

But from the artistic side, it seems to me that it's just one of many techniques being employed in the larger culinary scene right now to explore the effects of slow-and-low cooking, as a contrast to all the searing and high-heat roasting. I've been fortunate to taste some pretty amazing sous vide cooking at StudioKitchen, which displayed super-concentrated flavors, and really unusual textures. And up at WD-50, I recently had a piece of Turbot that had an absolutely fascinating mouthfeel, not from sous vide but from extremely low-heat, gentle cooking in a pan. Traditional slow barbeque smoking seems to be pretty ubiquitous around here lately too, so I think low temps are just part of the current culinary zeitgeist.

In the end it comes down to the talent of the chef, but from the tasting side, I can testify that a waterbath can be a tool for some major artistry, not just a hip thing that everybody's doing.

And vadouvan, I'm definitely asking for my eggs "a la plancha" next time I'm at the diner! Oooh, and a "carne con queso a la plancha" down at Pats... Probably gonna get my ass kicked, but hey...

The thing about sous-vide cooking that I enjoy is the texture of the finished product. Perfectly cooked protein. Also the vacuum packing allows the chef to practically inject the juices or any marinade they might wish to use deep into the protein so it retains juiciness and incredible flavor.

I wouldn't want sous vide to become the only method by which fine food is prepared, but it definitely has its applications.

Oooh, and a "carne con queso a la plancha" down at Pats... Probably gonna get my ass kicked, but hey...

Try asking for "bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha" and see where that gets you. Wear your running shoes. :laugh:

gallery_7067_2391_231571.jpg

Sous vide is just part of the process in cooking. See example above. Here we have slow cooked black grouper (49 degrees C for thirty minutes) with a chicken skin crust crisped on a griddle and served with grape-chipotle sauce, smoked cashew and sea bean condiment, chanterelle mushrooms and young marjoram.

Try asking for "bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha" and see where that gets you.  Wear your running shoes.  :laugh:

Is that bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha con, or bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha sin?

edited to add: Non-Philadelphians, see .sig.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Thanks, Chef. I don't take it personally at all. Sous vide is in reality a simple basic technique, however, it is the subtleties that make it great, such as spicing the dish and finishing it. The only thing making it difficult right now is the relative hassle and expense of the equipment.

A Ronco® Seal-a-Meal and a Crock-Pot cost how much?

Try asking for "bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha" and see where that gets you.  Wear your running shoes.  :laugh:

Is that bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha con, or bifstek con queso de Whiz a la plancha sin?

edited to add: Non-Philadelphians, see .sig.

I stand corrected

edit to add

Con Cebollas or Sin Cebollas :biggrin:

Thanks, Chef. I don't take it personally at all. Sous vide is in reality a simple basic technique, however, it is the subtleties that make it great, such as spicing the dish and finishing it. The only thing making it difficult right now is the relative hassle and expense of the equipment.

A Ronco® Seal-a-Meal and a Crock-Pot cost how much?

That's not an entirely fair point, though. While one can sous vide cook using just a stove, thermometer, and some plastic wrap, that's not exactly the best way to go about doing it. The same can be said for the Crock-Pot and a bargain vacuum saver. If you really want to do it right you're going to want to get a set up like nathanm, and that, undoubtedly, is a significant investment.

Even striking a middle ground, say finding a decent water bath on eBay and getting a decent Tilia FoodSaver is going to be a few hundred dollars. This is a lot to most people, especially considering the fact that this method is pretty "untested" by most home cooks--you don't see Better Homes & Gardens publishing sous vide recipes every month.

Even striking a middle ground, say finding a decent water bath on eBay and getting a decent Tilia FoodSaver is going to be a few hundred dollars. This is a lot to most people, especially considering the fact that this method is pretty "untested" by most home cooks--you don't see Better Homes & Gardens publishing sous vide recipes every month.

Yet.

At one time the Crock Pot was a new-fangled device. So were electric and gas ranges. Every new technique has a starting point somewhere. The foodies need to catch up with the lab geeks on this one...

Even striking a middle ground, say finding a decent water bath on eBay and getting a decent Tilia FoodSaver is going to be a few hundred dollars. 

Making your own decent water bath is certainly not something that is too difficult. With a $40 PID controller and a $20 heater/stirrer, you can get yourself a reasonable water bath off of eBay that would support the use of an 8qt (maybe even 12 qt) pot.

There's nothing fu-fu about sous vide unless you make it so. It is one of the most exciting new techniques I've seen in some 30 years of cooking and it is here to stay. Last week I updated an old favorite, "Salmon with Leek and Truffle" using sous vide. I made slits in the fish, inserted slices of fresh black truffle, added a dollop of duck confit fat, salt and sealed it in a pouch. I cooked it at 50 degrees centigrade in a bath for 20 minutes. Both the perfect texture of the fish and intense truffle flavor would have been impossible without sous vide. There's no going back.

There's nothing fu-fu about sous vide unless you make it so. It is one of the most exciting new techniques I've seen in some 30 years of cooking and it is here to stay. Last week I updated an old favorite, "Salmon with Leek and Truffle" using sous vide. I made slits in the fish, inserted slices of fresh black truffle, added a dollop of duck confit fat, salt and sealed it in a pouch. I cooked it at 50 degrees centigrade in a bath for 20 minutes. Both the perfect texture of the fish and intense truffle flavor would have been impossible without sous vide. There's no going back.

Sounds awesome.

Just because a lot of people can cook something on a grill doesn't mean that there is not an art to doing it well. Sous vide is no different. And if it is and people can make good dishes without difficulty so much the better. The principle object is to eat (and cook) well. Any technique that helps accomplish those objectives is ok in my book.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?
    • By Daily Gullet Staff
      By John Sconzo

The Daily Gullet is proud to present this, the first in a multi-part, front-row report on the recent "Spain and the World Table" conference. Watch for subsequent installments in this topic.

In his introduction of Ferran Adria, Thomas Keller -- perhaps the most celebrated American chef ever -- described four elements that go into making a great chef. The chef must be aware. Once aware of one’s culinary and other surroundings that chef can then be inspired, which leads to the ability to interpret those surroundings. But a great chef does not stop there. Instead, the great chef continues to evolve. Ferran Adria, perhaps more than any other chef who has ever lived, is the embodiment of those four elements.

The moment that Ferran Adria strode towards Thomas Keller on the stage at the CIA/Greystone’s World of Flavors’ “Spain and the World Table” Conference was electric -- as if a giant Van de Graf generator had been turned on. The feeling didn’t subside when Adria took the stage from Keller; it only became more pronounced as the packed crowd rose to its feet, raining applause, admiration and love on the Spanish master. Adria accepted the response with aplomb, and gave it right back to the audience -- and to his fellow Spanish cocineros, who were standing off to the side. He brought each one up to join him on the stage for a rousing thank-you to the conference organizers, sponsors and participants. Once this emotional release subsided, Adria got down to what everyone had been waiting for -- his discussion and demonstration.

Ferran Adria, with eyes sparkling like the finest cava, began speaking Spanish in a voice as gravelly as the beaches of the Costa Brava, while Conference Chairman Jose Andres translated. The crowd, hushed and straining for every word, moved forward in their seats as Adria explained El Bulli and himself, with a lesson in recent culinary history thrown in. Ferran explained that El Bulli is not a business. While offshoots of El Bulli are operated on a for-profit basis, the restaurant runs without profit as a primary motivation. For example, he said, the greatest difficulty they have is distributing reservations. Given the extraordinary demand and the severely limited supply, he explained that they could simply raise the price of a meal to the point where the supply and demand met. Indeed, the price of a meal at El Bulli is in itself quite reasonable given the stature of the restaurant and well within means of most motivated diners should they be able to get there, and this is how Adria prefers it. He stated that he was not interested in cooking solely for those with the most money. He prefers to work for people with a true interest in exploring the limits of cooking with him. To this end he showed a short film depicting “A Day in the Life . . .” of El Bulli set to the Beatles’ song of the same name. The film showed a couple’s response to the experience.

Ferran’s voyage into creativity began with a visit to Jacques Maxima at Le Chanticleer Restaurant in Nice, France. He learned from Maxima that to be creative is not to copy. This idea changed his entire approach to cooking -- from making classic cuisine to making his own. Aware of elaborate books of French cuisine, Adria resolved to catalogue his work, the results of which are the richly detailed El Bulli books, published by period. These books, as wonderful as they are, are huge and extremely expensive. During his presentation, Adria announced -- and demonstrated -- that the individual dishes photographed and described in a chronology within each book are all now available online at elbulli.com.

He finished the philosophical discussion by talking about the general style of haute cuisine that he and others are engaged in. While others have coined the term “molecular gastronomy” to highlight the scientific component of the creativity involved, Adria rejected it, saying that all cooking is molecular: most of his techniques are in fact rather simple and don’t employ radical new technology. Most of the technology that they do use has been around for some time; they have simply adapted it to their own purposes. Nevertheless, he applauds contributions to gastronomy from Harold McGee and other food scientists, and welcomes their collaboration in the kitchen. He has yet to find a term that describes the movement: as of now, he feels that there really is no good name for this style of cooking.

More than any other single thing, Ferran Adria is known for the use of “foams” in cooking. While he is proud of his achievements with foams, he stressed that while appropriate in some circumstances, the real utility of foams is limited. He bemoans their ubiquity -- and wishes to not be blamed for others’ poor deployment of the concept. In the course of describing this and other techniques, Adria made a point of stating that using them should not be inferred as copying. Techniques and concepts are to be used and shared. He invited everyone to learn and harness whatever they found interesting, and to employ it in to their own pursuits.

Another set of techniques discussed and demonstrated by the master and his assistant, Rafa Morales from Hacienda Benazuza, included three types of spherification. These included the use of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium alginate as well as the converse, and exploration of a new agent, gluconodeltalactone. The original combinations of alginate into CaCl for “caviar” production, and CaCl into alginate for larger “spheres” have chemistry-related limits as to what can be sphericized. In private correspondence, Harold McGee explained to me that Adria described encapsulating a mussel in its own juice. While this would make the dish technically an aspic, unlike conventional aspics it remains a liquid. Adria said that though gluconodeltalactone is very new, and they are just beginning to get a handle on it, he is very excited by it. He also demonstrated a machine for spherification on a larger scale than they had originally been able to do, as well as liquid nitrogen and freeze-drying (lyophilization) techniques. At the conclusion of his demonstration -- and thus the Conference -- the audience once again awarded him a standing ovation.

While Adria’s appearance was the culmination of the conference, the energy it produced was not just because of his stature in the world of gastronomy -- it was also due to the excitement generated by the conference that preceded it. If there had previously been any doubt, Thomas Keller’s welcome of Adria was a clarion: Spanish cuisine has landed on North American shores and is finding a niche in the North American psyche. Spanish cuisine -- in its multifaceted, delicious entirety -- lives here, too.

+ + + + +

John M. Sconzo, M.D., aka docsconz, is an anesthesiologist practicing in upstate New York. He grew up in Brooklyn in an Italian-American home, in which food was an important component of family life. It still is. His passions include good food, wine and travel. John's gastronomic interests in upstate northeastern New York involve finding top-notch local producers of ingredients and those who use them well. A dedicated amateur, John has no plans to ditch his current career for one in the food industry. Host, New York.
    • By docsconz
      About Jose Andres

Throughout his career, Jose’s vision and imaginative creations have drawn the praise of the public, the press and his peers. José has received awards and recognition from Food Arts, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Saveur, the James Beard Foundation, Wine Spectator, and Wine Advocate. In addition, José has been featured in leading food magazines such as Gourmet as well as the New York Times, the Washington Post, Good Morning America, Fox Sunday Morning News with Chris Wallace, the Food Network, and USA Today.

Widely acknowledged as the premiere Spanish chef cooking in America, José is a developer and Conference Chairman for the upcoming Worlds of Flavor Conference on Spain and the World Table at The Culinary Institute of America at Greystone, November 2 – 5, 2006.

In 1993, Jose moved to Washington, DC, to head the kitchen at Jaleo. From there, Jose took on executive chef responsibilities at neighboring Café Atlantico and later Zaytinya. In July of 2003, Jose embarked on his most adventurous project to date with the opening of the minibar by jose andres at Cafe Atlantico. A six-seat restaurant within a restaurant, minibar by jose andres continues to attract international attention with its innovative tasting menu. In the fall of 2004, Jose opened a third Jaleo and Oyamel, an authentic Mexican small plates restaurant and launched the THINKfoodTANK, an institution devoted to the research and development of ideas about food, all with a view toward their practical applications in the kitchen.

Every week, millions of Spaniards invite Jose into their home where he is the host and producer of “Vamos a cocinar”, a food program on Television Española (TVE), Spanish national television. The program airs in the United States and Latin America on TVE Internacional.

Jose released his first cookbook this year, first published in English, Tapas: A Taste of Spain in America (published in the United States by Clarkson Potter) and shortly after in Spanish, Los fogones de José Andrés (published by Planeta). The book is an homage to Spanish cooking and to tapas, one of Spain's gifts to the world of good cooking.

Jose Andres is passionate, intelligent, dedicated, witty and a fan of FC Barcelona.

Jose has been a member of the eGullet Society since 2004.

More on Jose Andres in the eG Forums:
      Cooking with "Tapas" by Jose Andres
      Vamos a Cocinar - cooking show with Jose Andres
      Jaleo
      José Andrés' Minibar
      Zaytinya
      Oyamel Cocina Mexicana, Crystal City
      Cafe Atlantico

Jose Andres recipes from Tapas in RecipeGullet:
      Potatoes Rioja-Style with Chorizo (Patatas a la Riojana)
      Moorish-Style Chickpea and Spinach Stew
      Squid with Caramelized Onions
    • By gibbs
      With Modernist Cuisine I waited a couple of years and ended up with a copy from the 6th printing run the advantage of this was that all errors picked up in the erratta had been corrected in the print copy.  I am looking to get modernist bread soon and wondered if someone had purchased it recently to check or if someone knew of hand if they have printed any additional corrected runs