Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the Khao Soi


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Personally, I've always found that the overriding flavor of pickled mustard greens is the pickling itself... So maybe some type of cabbage?


Thanks! That's something I can play around with. Wouldn't that end up pretty much like sauerkraut though?

 

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I'd consider turnip greens or radish tops as both have a little bite. 

Collards or lacinato kale don't have the bite but have similar texture and should work.


Turnip greens probably won't be an option but I'll check. Radish tops are a possibility. I have lots of collards but they've already been blanched and frozen. They're never available here fresh, I had to order them at work and don't really want to buy another 20 bunch box for this. :D I can get kale here. I'm not a kale expert but I'm 99% sure it's not that type.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:


Thanks! That's something I can play around with. Wouldn't that end up pretty much like sauerkraut though?

 

 

The pickling liquid is totally different.  Plus, sauerkraut is typically fermented whereas the pickled mustard greens are not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

The pickling liquid is totally different.  Plus, sauerkraut is typically fermented whereas the pickled mustard greens are not.


Ok, I'll have to do some more googling. The pickled mustard green recipes I found basically said to salt the greens, put them in a jar with any desired flavoring ingredients, cover with water and let sit until sour. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:


Ok, I'll have to do some more googling. The pickled mustard green recipes I found basically said to salt the greens, put them in a jar with any desired flavoring ingredients, cover with water and let sit until sour. 

Maybe... I've always thought they poured boiling water over, drain, the put in jar with vinegar salt and sugar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Maybe... I've always thought they poured boiling water over, drain, the put in jar with vinegar salt and sugar


Sounds good to me. I'll see what I can get my hands on as far as a replacement for the mustard greens goes and give it a shot. I've made khao soi plenty of times and just ate it without the mustard greens and enjoyed it, just thought it'd be fun to give it a try with all the traditional stuff in the bowl.

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...