• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Redefining the slider ...

article from slashfood.com

now a great chef, a man of genius, has redefined the slider! David Burke, the avant-garde author of such postmodern masterpieces as fried foie-gras lollipops and pastrami salmon, has essayed the almost oriental art of the slider.  His solution to the slider is to intensify it, maximizing every aspect. So the meat is a thick patty, almost meatball-like in its proportions. But by an ingenious system, he extends the meaty crunch to the outside extremities of the bun. Here’s how:

1) A miniature English muffin is sliced so that the bottom part ...

2) The meat, of the finest Creekstone beef, is formed and placed inside...

3) The meat juices cook into the bread ...

4) When the burger has taken a strong brown on ...

5) The burger, and a hundred of its brothers, are placed in ...

Are you a fan of the slider? :rolleyes:

Admire the concept? :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

They sound great, but the following, from the article, does not compute:

3) The meat juices cook into the bread. And there are a lot of meat juices: Creekstone produces some of the juiciest beef around, and I would be surprised if these burgers were more than 80% lean (Burke says they are sirloin, i.e. 90%.)

The leaner the dryer unless Creekstone is breeding inverse steers.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

article from slashfood.com
now a great chef, a man of genius, has redefined the slider! David Burke, the avant-garde author of such postmodern masterpieces as fried foie-gras lollipops and pastrami salmon, has essayed the almost oriental art of the slider.  His solution to the slider is to intensify it, maximizing every aspect. So the meat is a thick patty, almost meatball-like in its proportions. But by an ingenious system, he extends the meaty crunch to the outside extremities of the bun. Here’s how:

1) A miniature English muffin is sliced so that the bottom part ...

2) The meat, of the finest Creekstone beef, is formed and placed inside...

3) The meat juices cook into the bread ...

4) When the burger has taken a strong brown on ...

5) The burger, and a hundred of its brothers, are placed in ...

Are you a fan of the slider? :rolleyes:

Admire the concept? :wink:

Next time I go to NY, I will make a special trip to Bloomingdales to try one of these...they sound so amazing as described in this article.

Of course, I am on a diet. So everything sounds amazing to me right now.

:) Pam

My curiousity got the best of me and I found this article. I wanted to see pics, dammit! And there are several.

BTW, this article says he uses 80% beef and doesn't mention the grilling step.

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

MY curiousity got the best of me and I found this article.  I wanted to see pics, dammit!  And there are several.

BTW, this article says he uses 80% beef and doesn't mention the grilling step.

I see from the comments that there is some debate over whether the "buns" are actually English muffins or something else.

Apparently, the commenters have never encountered Wolferman's "signature" English muffins, which are that thick. You could cut these one-third of the way down and have a sizable bottom to hollow out for nestling your ground beef.

However, the process as described in the "A Hamburger Today" article strikes me as making more sense than the one described in Slashfood, for at least one reason:

If the raw burger meat is nestled in the bun, and the juices flow into the bun, then the bun must either be on the bottom for the first part of the cooking or it must absorb only those juices that emanate from the top of the patty, which can't be a lot.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thanks, Melissa!  I want to try these babies.

I am ordering a number of English muffins from them, among them the Minis.... I lived in Kansas City, Mo., for a time and they were one of the leading industries there.

Louis Wolferman founded what would become the nation's premiere specialty foods company in 1888, with the opening of Wolferman's corner grocery store in Kansas City, Missouri. He adopted the slogan "Good Things to Eat" and insisted on only the finest products with the best possible ingredients for his customers
their website

I should have expected nothing less than perfection and originality .. :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I am ordering a number of English muffins from them, among them the Minis.... I lived in Kansas City, Mo., for a time and they were one of the leading industries there.

"Good Things to Eat" since 1888.

I see they still produce a wide variety of baked goods, though not the cakes my Grandma used to buy.

Not as much of a household word as Hallmark or Russell Stover, but definitely an outstanding hometown product (and as far as food goes, better than Russell Stover. Whether they're up there with Gates' Bar-B-Q Sauce is an open question, I'm afraid. :wink: )

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3