• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned Tomatoes w/out Basil

scott123

I'm looking for canned peeled tomatoes without basil.  I've found brands that didn't list basil on the ingredients only to find basil leaves when I opened the can.

Try the Muir Glen Brand at Whole Foods.

I just checked...I have a can of Crushed Tomatoes "with Basil" and Diced Tomatoes . Basil is listed on the front label of the crushed, but the diced does not note it on the label, nor does it list in in their ingredients.

I'm looking for canned peeled tomatoes without basil.  I've found brands that didn't list basil on the ingredients only to find basil leaves when I opened the can.

Try the Muir Glen Brand at Whole Foods.

I just checked...I have a can of Crushed Tomatoes "with Basil" and Diced Tomatoes . Basil is listed on the front label of the crushed, but the diced does not note it on the label, nor does it list in in their ingredients.

I can vouch that the Muir Glen diced do not have basil. I also like it that they can a salt-free version. (I use this regularly in my off-season pasta amatriciana experiments.)

For what it's worth, "America's Test Kitchen" rated Muir Glen as the best-tasting supermarket canned tomato.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Just opened a can of Muir Glen Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes.

No Basil.

And they are delicious. Making a pasta sauce with them today.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

• 5 months later...

Having worked in a tomato cannery I can tell you that any all purpose crushed or tomato puree will not contain basil. If your tasting basil in something write the the company and tell them to clean out the batch tanks. Tomato products with any spices in them are always run at the very end of the shift because of the extensive cleanouts involved especially when basil is used!

just curious, why no basil? To me, basil and tomato together is God's way to put a smile on my face, especially when they are both fresh.

just curious, why no basil? To me, basil and tomato together is God's way to put a smile on my face, especially when they are both fresh.

the basil in canned tomatoes seems to me to be nothing more than a slimy little vegetal mess. i'll gladly add fresh basil from the garden or store to sauce, but i'll pass on that little green thing. i just don't understand the point of that stuff.

That's against the FDA regulations, you might contact these companies for an explanation, along with a promise to contact the FDA.

Which brands were these?

I'm quite sure the canned tomatoes I got at Tietel Brothers in the Bronx have no basil in it. Also the DOP San Marzanos usually don't have basil.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I don't want basil in everything. If I'm making, say a bbq sauce with canned tomatoes, I don't basil in it. If it's an Italian dish, sure, basil's no problem, but not every tomato-based dish works with a basil note.

Check out the Pomi brand as well- I'm fairly certain that they don't have basil.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I don't want basil in everything. If I'm making, say a bbq sauce with canned tomatoes, I don't basil in it. If it's an Italian dish, sure, basil's no problem, but not every tomato-based dish works with a basil note.

That makes sense. It's just that I picked up the first of the jersey tomatoes this afternoon at Trenton Farmers market and I'll pluck some basil from the garden, maybe a little fresh mozzarella some oil, balsamic, well you get the idea.

This of course won't work with bbq sauce... :wink:

Edited by Jeff L (log)

Even if it's an Italian dish you don't always want basil. I don't think the flavors work in an amatriciana dish, for instance.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845