• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

good eats downtown near St. Pauls?

trillium

Hi all,

The spouse has to make an emergency visit to Vancouver tomorrow, his granny is at St. Pauls and he'll be staying at the Holiday Inn on Howe while he visits her in the hospital. All the food he really wants to eat seems to be in Richmond. I've given him the name and address of the Cambodian restaurant everyone seems to love in Chinatown, but are there any other suggestions that are easy to get to from this location? Comfort food for him is SE, South or East Asian, but really, anything tasty is appreciated.

thanks a bunch

trillium

Sala Thai across the street on Burrard, just off Robson, is Thai food, and they're pretty good. For comfort food, I go to Hon's on Robson, about 4 blocks from Burrard, for a bowl of noodle soup or congee. Pretty much everything there is good, but it's a bit noisy and bright. Go a little further down Robson for Korean restaurants. There's a place called Copper Onion next to Hon's that just serves mainly japanese curry (made using the Glico brand prepackaged curry). I know it's an odd concept, but this can be a surprisingly comforting spot. It would be like if there was a restaurant that just served Kraft dinner. For lunch, I keep meaning to try One Saigon Deli (979 Hornby) for vietnamese sub or pho, that might be comforting. It's also next to a hole-in-the-wall sushi place called Sushi Maki that has better sushi than you might expect just walking by (open for dinner) and good value. As much as I love Bin 941, it's clubby-loud music and cramped interior is probably not what he's looking for at this time. Kam's Place is Singaporean and close by, so might fit the category, but it's not going to be spectacular food, might hit the spot though if you don't expect too much. I wish I knew of a good Indian restaurant to recommend down there, but don't. If he's willing to make the trek, I like Banana Leaf on Denman, at English Bay.

Nancy

Thank you all for your help. I swear I searched the forum for St. Pauls but I guess I suck at using eG's search engine (I used quotes, I swear!).

The partner is Singaporean, and opinionated about food, so it's probably better for him to stay away from Kam's, but a jook and noodle joint sounds just perfect. Thank heavans for free high speed internet at the hotel! I'll pass along the urls for the threads and let him peruse.

Please give a hollah if you ever need help in Portland, we'd love to help, 'tho Daddy-A seems to do just fine when he's in town!

regards,

trillium

... I wish I knew of a good Indian restaurant to recommend down there, but don't. ... 

India Bistro (1157 Davie St) is surprisingly good.

Weird, I've never noticed it. Thanks, bccoati. It's now on my list (of places I want to try). Trillium, hope all goes well for your partner's granny.

Thank you all for your help.  I swear I searched the forum for St. Pauls but I guess I suck at using eG's search engine (I used quotes, I swear!).

The partner is Singaporean, and opinionated about food, so it's probably better for him to stay away from Kam's, but a jook and noodle joint sounds just perfect.  Thank heavans for free high speed internet at the hotel!  I'll pass along the urls for the threads and let him peruse.

Please give a hollah if you ever need help in Portland, we'd love to help, 'tho Daddy-A seems to do just fine when he's in town!

regards,

trillium

i'm malaysian and you're probably right about steering him away from kam's! it's not terrible, but it's not (imho), very authentic. i'm pretty picky about south east asian food though...heh.

i also will vouch for india bistro.

samurai sushi is around the corner from the hospital, on davie st, and has really good sushi with good value.

another one close by is guu on thurlow and robson. great izakaya with a great atmosphere.

if he really has a craving for malaysian food, and he has a car, try kedah house. it's on fraser, between 41st and 42nd. it's owned by a family from kedah and it is pretty much the most authentic my family has found here. they're also halal.

hope all is going to be alright with granny.

Quentina

I hope his grandma recovers quickly and that he is able to provide some help and comfort by being there.

In terms of East asian food not too far away from his location:

- Aki robataya provides a good take on a mix between a Japanese robataya and izakaya. It is located at 745 Thurlow.

- Sakae provides a fairly authentic sushi experience at 745 Thurlow as well.

- Kadoya provides a decent discount sushi roll experience (in my opinion a bit better than Samurai). It is chinese operated, but they do some very creative western style rolls. It is located at 1063 Davie.

- Zakkushi provides a good take on a Japanese yakitoriya. It is located at 823 Denman.

- Norboo provides a reasonable Korean experience with many types of stews and noodle dishes. It is located at 1536 Robson.

- I agree that Kam's is really not worth going to. For Malaysian Kedah is probably the most authentic. It is a bit far from downtown though. A little bit better than Kam's is Tropika. It is nowhere near as authentic as Kedah. But for downtown it is probably the best. It is located at 1128 Robson. There is another place called Banana Leaf located on Denman, but I have had mixed experiences there.

I hope that provides a bit of comfort at this difficult time.

Just wanted to add that I think I like the fish quality at Sushi Maki more than Kadoya and Samurai at the moment. I had a surprisingly bad bento box for lunch one day at Samurai, so I've been a bit leary since (even though I have had a very nice dinner there). I've been to Kadoya once. Would be interested if anyone else has been to Sushi Maki (900 block Hornby). I discovered it accidentally one day when I was trying to get to Okada Sushi (higher end sushi place) nearby, and they were closed. It's really close to the Paramount too, so handy for a pre-movie bite. Their $9.50 chirashi is quite good, and they do a mini version too.

• 4 months later...
- Kadoya provides a decent discount sushi roll experience (in my opinion a bit better than Samurai).  It is chinese operated, but they do some very creative western style rolls.  It is located at 1063 Davie.

I must revoke my recommendation of Kadoya. For more details see this thread.

Cheers!