• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The sweet burger

torakris

There is a new shop in Tokyo, aclled Mamido Burger, that sells sweets which are made to look like hamburgers, french fries and other fast foods....

The article

from the above article:

The Mamido burger, for instance, which sells for ¥390 ($3.25 at ¥120 to the dollar), is a highlight of the menu. The "bun" is actually a sponge cake, the "patty" inside is chocolate cream, and the "pickles" are kiwis. The deep-fried fish burger, meanwhile, priced at ¥440 ($3.70), features a banana shaped like a fish fillet in sponge cake. It is topped with "tartar sauce," which is actually fresh cream. And the gratin burger, also at ¥440, is a sandwich with a cream cheese and fruit filling.

The side dishes are equally ingenious. The French fries look like the real thing but are actually custard cream covered in starch powder and deep-fried. The fries, diners are told, are delectable when topped with ketchup. Without exception, every item on the menu is a sweet of some sort.

The Mamido webpage

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Just..words cannot express.... :biggrin:

I just e-mailed that link to a friend of mine. Only last night he was asking me about Japan. He's been reading the Isaac Adamson series, Tokyo Suckerpunch - The adventures of Billy Chaka (which I quite like).

In one of those books, the author describes a school-themed cafe, where people sit at desks, write their orders in notebooks, get food on lunch trays, etc., and my friend asked me if the author was exaggerating the "weird" factor to make for a good book. While those books are in many ways completely ungrounded in reality, I sent him that link to show that he has yet to plumb the depths of weird that Japan has to offer.

Anyway, those fries looked delicious - but hold the ketchup!

-edited to try and get the url to work...

Edited by nakji (log)

In one of those books, the author describes a school-themed cafe, where people sit at desks, write their orders in notebooks, get food on lunch trays, etc., and my friend asked me if the author was exaggerating the "weird" factor to make for a good book. While those books are in many ways completely ungrounded in reality, I sent him that link to show that he has yet to plumb the depths of weird that Japan has to offer.

Yes the school themed restaurants do exist, I have seen a couple of them though I have never been tempted to try it.

Here is one,click on where it says lunch on the left and you can see pictures of the food.

An article about some school lunch themed restaurants

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"