• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Newbie' to Rum

sadistick

I have always enjoyed Rum, but was wondering if people actually drink it straight.

I wouldnt doubt that many do this, however I am curious as to what would be a good quality rum (available in Ontario, Canada) that you folks would suggest as a nice drink on its own.

Cheers

For the price, I don't think you'll find too many rums better than 23 year old Ron Zacapa Centenario from Guatemala, although I'm very partial to Diplomatico from Venezuela too. But, give me that expensive and superb Pyrat Cask 23 from Anguilla any day!!! By the way, I found a distributor in Miami that can get Pyrat Cask 23 for $239 a bottle (it's $180 at the factory in Anguilla).

And I would add:

Cockspur VSOR (if you can find it)

Barbancourt 15 year old

Mount Gay Extra Old

Cruzan Single Barrel

Angostura 1919

So, to answer the question: yes, I guess most of us on this forum drink our rum straight... Which does not mean that we did not enjoy mixed drinks now and then as well, but, in my case, that's for cheaper rums.

Sad to say, I dont think most (if any) other than the Havana Club are available in Ontario...

Heh, in Finland, at the moment, I can only get my hands on Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, Havana Club 7yo and Cruzan 5yo... I'm entirely dependent on my international trips to get some more decent rums.

German Internet stores would help as well, but I'd have to pay about 22 dollars in taxes for every single bottle that I purchased...

Edited by Kristian (log)

I can never remember the order of the Canadian provinces (from left to right), but if you pop into British Columbia, you should be able to find a decent selection there. Having lived there for a year, I enjoyed Mount Gay Extra Old the most, but they also had the Barbancourt and Appleton rums mentioned in this thread always on the shelves, as well as a few other good products.

I have always enjoyed Rum, but was wondering if people actually drink it straight.

I wouldnt doubt that many do this, however I am curious as to what would be a good quality rum (available in Ontario, Canada) that you folks would suggest as a nice drink on its own.

Cheers

A friend of mine lives in Ontario. He recently mentioned Cabot Tower Demerara Rum was available there and quite tastey.

Ken

In Ontario, you should have access to the full range of Havana Club rums, which are embargoed for US consumption as they are Cuban. Both Anejo Reserva and Anejo 7 Anos are excellent drinking rums, although I prefer the reserva. There are also special bottlings of Havana Club you might also have access to.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason is quite right. The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) has a good selection of rum and often has three or four of the Havana Club rums available.

My cousin went to Toronto last year and I called LCBO toll free from the U.S. and they brought in several bottles of H.C. 7 year old from various stores to the store closest to my cousin's hotel.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I see that LCBO has Flor de Cana, Cruzan Estate and some limited Jamaican bottlings, in addition to El Dorado. All very good rums.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If can get to the larger LCBO store in Toronto you'll find a pretty good selection, they also have a special order section.

Among the rums I'd suggest are the Matusalem aged rums and the El Dorado Reserve rums. Cruzan rums are now available in Toronto, I'd recommend the Estate Diamond.

The best news is that the LCBO does take their rum selection seriously.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

The nicers rums I would recommend have been nicely recommended by others. I would also recommend Gosling Black Seal. I'm trying Cruzan Estate Diamond currently, and it is indeed a good one as Mr. Hamilton recommended. For the General Market rums, I would recommend Cruzan Estate Light and Dark, Appleton Special Gold, and Mount Gay. Bacardi is a drier rum, but I personally don't like drier rums.

I drink nicer rums neat (most of the time) or chilled. If I chill them, I never let the rum liquid to be in direct contact with the ice or the cold water. Sometimes I may add a splash of fresh lime juice. I take General Market rums neat (my first tasting of particular rum), chilled, a little cut with water, on the rocks, with a splash of lime, or mixed with juice or in a cocktail. I use Cruzan Rum Cream (and Bailey's Irish Cream) in my coffee and hot tea. For rum cocktails, I would recommend Planter's Punch, Bajan Punch, Rum Punch, Hurricane, Rum Runner, Pina Colada, my own experimentally developed cocktails (I'm an engineer and like to tinker), Dark & Stormy, or the well-known Rum & Coke. (The best Pina Colada/PC and Rum Punch/RP I've ever had were in Barbados. I've never found as good of a PC or RP in the states.) I generally don't recommend daquiris has they seem too common.

Just thought I would let you folks know...

Went to the big LCBO near me today, and chatted with my Vintages buddy, he suggested the El Dorado as well, they had both the 12 and 15 y/o bottles...seeing as how I am new to Rum, and there was a $20 difference, I picked up the 12 y/o for $32...

Just wondering if I should use this for Pina Coladas tonight, or some regular old Bacardi...