• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gandy Dancer -Ann Arbor

elfin

Dining at Gandy Dancer next week on business so budget not an issue. Read reviews-most seem positive. So wondered what is the go-to dish? What is not to be missed? The desserts seem to be special too. Any recommends? Thanks

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Dining at Gandy Dancer next week  on business so budget not an issue.  Read reviews-most seem positive. So wondered what is  the go-to dish?  What is not to be missed?  The desserts seem to be special too.  Any recommends?  Thanks

My info is quite old but I literally had a sensory flashback when I saw your post. I had some memorable scallops there. I'm sure tammy or someone in the area will provide more contemporary info.

Bon app!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

elfin.

if you have any say in the matter, and if it is a business expense, i would highly advise you skip the gandy and go, go, GO to eve the restaurant in kerrytown. albeit a year old, you can read my review of the place on my blog. true, i haven't been in about 8 months, but (reliable) reports have been just as good.

other better bets than the gandy include (over-priced but decent) gratzi, an upmarket italian restaurant that is a member of a local restaurant group. its sister restaurant, (even more outrageously over-priced, but pretty good) chop house, next door is your run-of-the mill upscale steakhouse, serving up cuts of meat the size of your first child. at either of these restaurants, you have the additional pleasure of (spending more money and) walking next door (connected inside to both restaurants) to their "dessert restaurant"la dolce vita, which has decent (again, overpriced) desserts. any of these are better options than the gandy dancer... which i find frumpy, and is disdainfully "chainish" (it's part of the muer restaurant group).

otherwise, if you're not stuck to the ann arbor confines - i would suggest you look into the common grill in nearby chelsea (about fifteen minutes from ann arbor by freeway). chef common's restaurant has a decent american "bistro" fare in a brassy american art-deco cum little town restaurant establishment. it gets loud, and the reservation policy is tricky (make sure you read their policy online), but it'll be a much better experience than the gandy.

lastly, if you want to go bust-out-no-holds-back... and you have time to venture about forty minutes from ann arbor, there's tribute, former home to chef takashi yagihashi (who won the james beard for best midwest chef a couple of years ago - and is now at okada restaurant in steve wynn's resort in las vegas). i was there last december right before yagihashi left and it was very good (but not dazzling)... yamauchi (the new chef) has changed the format somewhat - he's from acclaimed carlos' in highwood (northshore of chicago) which bodes well... but i haven't heard anything, so it'd be a gamble... i'd still bet you'd have a much better meal here than at gandy dancer...

otherwise, i've heard that jeremy restuarant is very very good. i have not been, but will be visiting soon...

well, i guess you get my point: gandy dancer isn't all that great... and if the choice is out of your hands, then i would advise you stick with the fish courses... if you do go, i hope you are more impressed/pleased than i have been. it used to be pretty good, but has slipped lately, in my opinion...

hope this helps!

ulterior epicure.

[edited for spelling and other changes]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I've only been to Gandy Dancer once, and it was a while ago, so I don't really have a recommendation to make. They're specialty is seafood, though, I think, so that's probably a safe bet.

Like u.e., I'd recommend going someplace else if possible. His suggestions are good, although I'd avoid the Mainstreet Ventures places (Gratzi, Chophouse) as they're really quite uninspired and overpriced. My favorite place in town, which u.e. doesn't mention, is Cafe Zola.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

yes, as tammy notes - the main street ventures are rather uninspired and VERY overpriced - but on a whole, i'd say much better than gandy dancer.

cafe zola had come to mind, but i had reserved recommending it partly because i've had bad experiences - and, think they are truly undervalued for the price... it's also a much more casual spot - and may not be suitable for a business meal. also, it gets crowded, and often very noisy (which is also a turn-off at the common grill).

ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

any of these are better options than the gandy dancer... which i find frumpy, and is distainfully "chainish" (it's part of the muer restaurant group). 

Actually, it's part of the Muer Restaurant Group in name only. Landry's Restaurants, Inc. purchased the Muer Group (Charley's Crab, Gandy Dancer, The Grand Concourse, Big Fish, and Chuck & Harold's) in 2002. From Landry's web site: "Landry's owns and operates approximately 279 restaurants, including Landry's Seafood House, Joe's Crab Shack, The Crab House, Rainforest Café, Charley's Crab, Willie G's Seafood & Steak House, The Chart House, and Saltgrass Steak House...."

Because of increasingly inconsistent quality and service, Charley's Crab in Grand Rapids dropped off my "regular go-to" list even before it was sold. I must admit, though, that I haven't been back there in several years.

I'm assuming that the choice of Gandy Dancer wasn't up to you and is not negotiable. Your tab being covered should ameliorate any disappointment about not making it to Eve, Cafe Zola, etc. Based on my experiences with other Muer restaurants, I recommend sticking to whatever fish is freshest, clearly specifying that the chef not overcook it. Also, Charley's Chowder is pretty good, as is the Martha's Vineyard salad so long as it's lightly dressed.

However, DO NOT pass up the opportunity to visit Zingerman's Delicatessen, a very short drive from the restaurant. They're open until 10.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

yes, as tammy notes - the main street ventures are rather uninspired and VERY overpriced - but on a whole, i'd say much better than gandy dancer. 

cafe zola had come to mind, but i had reserved recommending it partly because i've had bad experiences - and, think they are truly undervalued for the price... it's also a much more casual spot - and may not be suitable for a business meal.  also, it gets crowded, and often very noisy (which is also a turn-off at the common grill).

ulterior epicure.

u.e. - when was the last time you were at Cafe Zola? They're doing white tablecloth dinners now. The room is still noisy because of all the hard surfaces, but it tends to be a bit more demure at dinner unless they're very busy. (Unlike brunch, when they're always busy!)

The service isn't very formal though, that's for sure.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

u.e. - when was the last time you were at Cafe Zola?  They're doing white tablecloth dinners now.   The room is still noisy because of all the hard surfaces, but it tends to be a bit more demure at dinner unless they're very busy.  (Unlike brunch, when they're always busy!)

The service isn't very formal though, that's for sure.

yes, i'll admit it's been a while since i've been to cafe zola - but recently enough to know of the more upmarket evening setting. however, i just never really fell in love with cafe zola as many of the locals have. i don't find their food all that "mediterannean" (i think the cafe's owners are turkish - at least try to go for that effect), or all that compelling...

as for brunch - wow is it crowded, noisy, and service is friendly but VERY inattentive. however, the best value, in my opinion, at the cafe is the turkish breakfast - which for about $10, two could walk out very full and satisfied. their crepes, i find dismally overpriced and mediocre.

ulterior epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm assuming that the choice of Gandy Dancer wasn't up to you and is not negotiable. Your tab being covered should ameliorate any disappointment about not making it to Eve, Cafe Zola, etc. Based on my experiences with other Muer restaurants, I recommend sticking to whatever fish is freshest, clearly specifying that the chef not overcook it. Also, Charley's Chowder is pretty good, as is the Martha's Vineyard salad so long as it's lightly dressed.

elfin,

looking back at my first posting, i suppose i was a tad harsh. i did not mean in any way to disparage your (or your business companion's) choice. i suppose i even hardly answered your question - which alex and tammy have to a larger degree. assuming that the restuarant is non-negotiable, i would, as i had done originally, urge you to stick to the fish options. i can't speack for "charley's chowder" - but i will say that martha's vineyard salad (with the dressing on the side) is a safe bet.

However, DO NOT pass up the opportunity to visit Zingerman's Delicatessen, a very short drive from the restaurant. They're open until 10.

i know i'm going to get a storm of protests, gasps and dissapproval for this one - but i've never understood the appeal of zingerman's (for their food)... i mean, i love them for being a very creative "cottage industry" that is highly successful, both in marketing and upping the sophistication of the mid-west palate. but, i find most of their products just a bit over-priced... that's not to say that they do source some pretty rare and awesome products sometimes. when i do visit the deli, i usually stick to picking up a few novelty items that i can't find elsewhere. i've been there a couple dozen times over the past few years - they are consistent and their service is always top-notch, but their food is... well, just good, but way pricey...

regardless, elfin, assuming you're not from the area and you're on a business trip - alex is right - zingerman's deli is definitely a must-see, if you have time.

please let us know how everything works out!

cheers.

ulterior epicure

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

just a quick note on tribute... there chef there is now Don Yamauchi, Yagashi is no longer there

oops - thanks for catching my missive upthread - i meant to type yamauchi. i've changed it.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I did not select the Gandy Dancer-the client recommended it or The Chop House. I was not aware that Gandy Dancer was part of a chain conglomerate. The client said the fish was fresh as it is flown in daily. Hmmm what did Bourdain say about fish on Mondays (or Tuesdays). I will let all know the results (but accuracy may not be the best since it is a big drinking group). Re Zingerman's I have to see the place. I too have heard mixed opinions about the place but I hope to get some decent food for the road trip back. UlteriorEpicure-you were not harsh at all- I welcome all feedback, recs and otherwise.

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I did not select the Gandy Dancer-the client recommended it or The Chop House.  I was not aware that Gandy Dancer was part of a chain conglomerate.  The client said the fish was fresh as it is flown in daily.  Hmmm what did Bourdain say about fish on Mondays (or Tuesdays).  I will let all know the results (but  accuracy may not be the best since it is a big drinking group).  Re Zingerman's I have to see the place.  I too have heard mixed  opinions about the place but I hope to get some decent food for the road trip back.  UlteriorEpicure-you were not harsh at all- I welcome all feedback, recs and otherwise.

I'm also curious to hear about your experience there.

Re Zingerman's, it indeed is on the expensive side but the quality and the service are absolutely first-rate. You should have no problem picking up some great road-trip food. They'll probably put it on ice for you, if you ask. Don't forget about their bakery right next door!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

The important thing to know about Zingerman's is that you can sample absolutely everything they sell. Don't just go in and order a sandwich - you'll totally be wasting the experience. Sample some cheeses, have them help you pick out a perfect olive oil or vinegar, etc. The staff loves rising to a challenge.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm Still a big fan of pacific rim being one of the best restaurant in ann arbor. I 'll admit it's been a while since i've been in the area, but i know the owners frist hand. They always strive for there best.

from a person who worked at the gandy my best advice... run like hell.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

I'm Still a big fan of pacific rim being one of the best restaurant in ann arbor.  I 'll admit it's been a while since i've been in the area, but i know the owners frist hand.  They always strive for there best. 

man, i seem like the resident nay-sayer here... pacific rim is good (food), but TERRIBLY over-priced. i know, i'm sounding cheap as well (while i can be frugal, be assured, i've always been generous when it comes to dining out). maybe it's just ann arbor - which i think even the most loyal local will admit is really over-priced in general. other than (some of) the hole-in-the-wall ethnic eateries around the university, i haven't really found good, even acceptable value for my dollar in any ann arbor restaurant.

u.e.

[edited to add]: for the same pricetag, i'd rather take my business to eve. i don't know the management/owners at either - so it's not a personal bias at work here.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm Still a big fan of pacific rim being one of the best restaurant in ann arbor.  I 'll admit it's been a while since i've been in the area, but i know the owners frist hand.  They always strive for there best. 

man, i seem like the resident nay-sayer here... pacific rim is good (food), but TERRIBLY over-priced. i know, i'm sounding cheap as well (while i can be frugal, be assured, i've always been generous when it comes to dining out). maybe it's just ann arbor - which i think even the most loyal local will admit is really over-priced in general. other than (some of) the hole-in-the-wall ethnic eateries around the university, i haven't really found good, even acceptable value for my dollar in any ann arbor restaurant.

u.e.

[edited to add]: for the same pricetag, i'd rather take my business to eve. i don't know the management/owners at either - so it's not a personal bias at work here.

A couple years ago, Forbes Magazine rated Ann Arbor 7th on its "Least Affordable Places to Live" list. So yeah, restaurants here tend to cost too much. Those of us that live here have to adopt a slightly different scale, otherwise we wouldn't ever eat out!

Logan is offering a 5 course Chef's Tasting Menu (Tuesday through Thursday nights only), for $40. That sounds like a bargain to me, and I'll probably give it a shot next time I'm out (which could be a long time from now...)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Logan is offering a 5 course Chef's Tasting Menu (Tuesday through Thursday nights only), for $40.  That sounds like a bargain to me, and I'll probably give it a shot next time I'm out (which could be a long time from now...)

not familiar - where is it?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

pacific rim was an extremely enjoyable dining experience for me...the food was outstanding (and i thought reasonably priced for a2 fine dining)...the service was tremendous, and the ambiance great. i love to see small restaurants doing so well in the middle of the week. my german guest was likewise very happy...i highly recommend this and the west end grill next door.

Expat Russ

Three Passions:

Food

Travel<=click to go to my travel website...

BBQ and BQ<=click to go to my blog about trying to balance great food and qualifying for the Boston Marathon

Skip Gandy Dancer. The venue is beautiful and that's about it. The bourbon drinks at the bar were shy pours. The place, at 7 on Monday night, was nearly empty. The server was friendly but he did not ask if we wanted wine with our meal. We ordered the calamari app that had a red /basil sauce. I did not expect the calamari to be breaded and deep fried and then coated with the sauce. The scallop appetizer had a creamy pepper sauce which was really tasty but totally masked the scallop. Two of us had grouper in a parmesan crust with lump crab and butter. The grouper, a huge piece, was tough and the coating more breadlike than cheese. The 3 spears of asparagus were cooked well. A shrimp pasta looked terrible. The shrimp appeared deep fried and sat atop a bowl of spaghetti drenched in red sauce. We skipped dessert. Except for the scallops (5) no one finished anything that was served. Drove by The Chop House and that was nearly empty too. (Monday was MLK Day) Zingerman's STILL eludes me.

If I'm reading you correctly, elfin, I'm terribly sorry about your experience at the Gandy. I hope, if you do manage to make it, that Zingerman's might be a redeeming experience.

U.E.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

What a shame that with all of the excellent restaurants in Ann Arbor you had such a bad night out. We haven't been to the Gandy Dancer since the change in ownership, and it seems like that was a good move... I hope you'll visit Ann Arbor again and give other places a try - eve, West End Grill, Pacific Rim, the Earle, and Zingerman's are all worthy of your time.