• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Urgent! Happy hour recommendation?

Hi All,

I realize it's a little late, but I'm going to a movie at GP tonight and I wanted to find a good pre-movie happy hour to get some cheap drinks and food. I'd love to avoid any of the big chains around there and I'm meeting people at 6, so a HH that ends at 6:30 might not work out as well as one that goes a little later, but those are my only requirements. Any recommendations?

-John

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?"

Ella's usually has a happy hour w/ free pizza and snacks at the bar. Thats just a block or two away from the theater.

Have a Macha Margarita (the only reason to go to Rosa Mexicana)

Have a beer or two at RFD's or Fado's

A little further away, My Brother's Place.

There's also Zengo, Drinx, and all those new places I have yet to hit.

Matchbox would be my choice.

Yeah, Matchbox has a great happy hour--lots of house-infused vodka martinis at $5 or so a pop, plus you can order the miniburgers or a pizza to share.

There are some great places to grab drinks and snacks in that area that don't necessarily offer special happy hour deals. Zaytinya comes to mind, as do Cafe Atlantico and Zengo. Poste has great cocktails and some reasonably inexpensive bar snax on their menu as well.