• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts for employee appreciation party

pastrymama

I just found out this morning that there is to be an employee appreciation party on Tuesday, Jan 17. Just like usual, there is no communication where I work. I have had a cold for the last week and can't think straight. This is the party we have instead of something at Christmas. It is semi-formal and the food will be a buffet for 100. I'd love some suggestions of what to make/serve. I will have today, Saturday and Tuesday to produce it all and have ready by Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for any suggestions.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

They're lovely, but I can't stand making teensy individual items that just seem to take forever to do. My thoughts run toward baking large items that can then be easily cut into individual servings-- brownies, lemon bars, cakes in sheet form. Especially since you don't really have a lot of time. There's a fabulous rich brownie recipe in Nick Malgieri's chocolate cookbook-- 'Supernatural Brownies'. Rich enough to cut in small pieces and still have a big time chocolate punch. And would truffles be too picky to do? Yep, they're small individual things but it's so easy to put such basic ingredients like cream, chocolate and flavoring together and you can get such impressive results! Hope this helps, and hope you feel better!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Please reference Dilbert

Pointy haired boss says: "we are having an employee appreciation day"

employee points out that the day is a Sunday

PHB: "that's the best day for pot luck - you have all day saturday to make something to bring"

PHB goes on: "I'll need a voluneer to organize everything - which one of you is the woman?"

PHB tells everyone the forecsat is cold weather so they should wear jackets since the party is outside in the park. He says he will not attend since he does personal stuff on weekends

So, are you an employee who is being appreciated by offering up concoctions or is the creation of desserts part of your actual job? - meaning - are you catering this?

If you are just making personal offerings then you probably want some wow factor. You probably are already acknowledged for your achievements in pastry by your fellow employees - many of whom are actively looking forward specifically to what you will bring since they know from experience that it will be good, so you don't want to let them down

What have you made in the past? What do you need to live up to and surpass?

What is your transportation situation to get your stuff to the party?

Do you have temperature controlled storage available or not?

What about serving - people just help themselves?

I think that people like having something that is out of the ordinary, something cute, something individual (like a mini cake)

You can bake off a couple large sheets of cake in more than one flavor if you like, come up with some suitable filling and then you can cut out, fill and do simple decor so that you have 8-10 serving each of several different cakes. Do something special like the examples on one of Wendy DeBord's sweet tables

Doing a large cake is cumbersome but makes a lasting impression

alas, you will proably have to cut it in the fury of the party and that is a pain and messy as well.

Leave the cookies and brownies for others and do something special and different. Go through somne books and magazines and do something interesting that is a little extra work that intrigues you.

Quick breads are nice. You can make several varieties. They can be made a few days ahead and keep very well.

I have a linked 4-loaf pan that make 4 loaves from a two loaf recipe, perfect for such occasions.

SB :wink:

People love cream puffs and they are very easy. I make a "fake" mousse filling that you can flavor in many ways. I start by whipping cream cheese and adding the flavors to it. Like raspberry jam, or melted chocolate, whatever. Then I whip some cream and fold it into the cream cheese and pipe it into the creampuff. It holds beautifully.

It's hard to go wrong with cheesecake.

Probably a lot of people would appreciate having something simple with fruit; chocolate covered strawberries, or fruit chunks on a skewer, perhaps with a dip.

If you have time to do cookies, they're a small portion that's easy for people to control, and the lighter eaters might also appreciate that.

I hope you'll consider a combination of decadent items and somewhat-healthy items.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am the pastry chef at a private golf club. So I am assigned to do the desserts. Everyone gets to enjoy the party, they even trade servers with another club, but the cooks still have to make the food. I don't want to go too fancy with things but, I also need it to be a little formal looking. I had decided to make eclairs this morning so I have one item ready to go, just need to fill and glaze on Tuesday. I also like the cookie and brownie idea, very easy to do. I would like to make a couple more items with some wow to them, but not a lot of work because I still have to do my regular work everyday also. Any more ideas for something easy but "fancy" would be appreciated.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Easy + fancy:

Bake a sponge cake, probably vanilla, but flavor depends on other ingredients; it should be thin.

Cut it to fit the bottom, top, and two sides of a loaf pan.

Line loaf pan with plastic wrap.

Put the bottom and side pieces in.

Put in about a 3/4" to 1" layer of mousse, your choice of flavor

Cover that layer with fruit, arranged; strawberries could be points-up, in rows; kiwi spears laid end-to-end; or pineapple spears laid end-to-end; cover fruit with a second layer of mousse; add another layer of fruit; finish with another layer of mousse. Do a third fruit/mousse layer if you have room. Top with last piece of sponge cake. Chill until set; slice loaf-fashion. Slices should have a mosaic of fruit and mousse.

It can all be done ahead, but sliced and served at the last minute.

Something fancy but easy.....I don't know if this will be too much work, but I'm thinking something along the line of a napolean type dessert. Either bake up some puff pastry and put some sort of a filling (fruit, mousse, cream cheese+preserve) in the middle, or make stacks using phyllo. What about baklava?

One item that really worked well for me is a Chocolate Roulade. I used the very simple recipe from the Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home cookbook. I used Valrhona chocolate and it's divine.

I've also have great success with serving almond toffee and chocolate covered cornflakes (use good chocolate) at holiday parties. Both are easy to make.