• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Great Places in Paris

scallopeater

My wife and I are meeting up with two old friends in Paris in March and we are having 2 meals with them. One lunch, one dinner. Non smoking, value more important than cost. Maybe one big place for a bit of glamour and one more stylish or straightforwardly bistro-style. Places might be Bristol, Cou de la Giraffe, Ripaille, L'Astrance...but would love views on this impossible request!!

My wife and I are meeting up with two old friends in Paris in March and we are having 2 meals with them. One lunch, one dinner. Non smoking, value more important than cost. Maybe one big place for a bit of glamour and one more stylish or straightforwardly bistro-style. Places might be Bristol, Cou de la Giraffe, Ripaille, L'Astrance...but would love views on this impossible request!!

High end glamour le Bristol; straightforward bistro Josephine, Chez Dumonet

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

High end glamour le Bristol; straightforward bistro Josephine, Chez Dumonet

Thanks John,

As it happens, we've been to Dumonet before, so would want to try somewhere else - much as we enjoyed it.

Probably the most difficult part of your query is the Non-Smoking part; this idea is just getting off the ground in Paris, but it has not taken hold yet, so its hard to even know if smoking is prohibited in a place.

Oterwise, there are literally hundreds of places that would fit your bill in Paris. You could get several dozen ideas here, but ultimately you need to choose. A better way to decide might be to invest in the Pudlo, which is my ultimate dining guide for Paris. He breaks down restaurants by Arrondissement, and then by rating. He is not shy about criticism, either. He will tell you everything from a short bio of the chef and proprietors, to the fabrics used in the curtains, and the light bulbs! Costs about 15E.

Probably the most difficult part of your query is the Non-Smoking part;  this idea is just getting off the ground in Paris, but it has not taken hold yet, so its hard to even know if smoking is prohibited in a place. 

Ohhh, forgot about that part. Then Cerisaie is it; no smoking period, modern bistro, great cooking, nice welcome.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We noticed at Ripaille last week, that there were no ashtrays on the table, and no one was smoking. That's great, because it is a little tiny restaurant. Our reservation was for 8:30...when we were just finishing our desserts, about 10:30, I think?---a table in the back asked for an ashtray and one was immediately brought out. But, I think it's a very "respectful" place regarding smoking, got that feeling...

And, the food was good!

Since your name is Scallopeater, I presume you like Coquille?

I always search for Coquille avec coral- with the roe. No one does it anymore. I see it all the time in the marches, but not in the restaurants! If you find it anywhere, let me know. I always ask in the restaurants!

Philly Francophiles

We noticed at Ripaille last week, that there were no ashtrays on the table, and no one was smoking. That's great, because it is a little tiny restaurant. Our reservation was for 8:30...when we were just finishing our desserts, about 10:30, I think?---a table in the back asked for an ashtray and one was immediately brought out. But, I think it's a very "respectful" place regarding smoking, got that feeling...

And, the food was good!

I always search for Coquille avec coral- with the roe. No one does it anymore. I see it all the time in the marches, but not in the restaurants! If you find it anywhere, let me know. I always ask in the restaurants!

Thank you Tarte Tatin for that endorsement of Ripaille. Yes, indeed, i love scallops, coquilles, whatever...

Now I have heard good things of a place called Vin sur Vin in the 7th (michelin *) - any one been?

You'll have to do a little archaeologic research for that.

Don't go to fashionable restaurants. Go to old-fashioned restaurants, outside of Paris. For some reason, modern restaurateurs have decided that it is uncool to serve scallops with the corail. I don't know where they got that silly idea. The only solution is to prepare them at home or go to the few remaining untrendy country "auberges" around Paris, at some distance (Oise, Yvelines, vallée de Chevreuse...). The kind of place where middle-aged married men take their secretaries to dinner and everybody speaks in a very low voice.

If there is a décor of exposed woodwork, copper utensils on the walls, gladiola in flower vases, then you can almost be sure that the coquilles will have the coral on. However, they're likely to be a little overcooked. But they'll be yummy and unpretentious.

Re: scallops, very interesting because I've never noted that they remove the coral when serving scallops in France - I find it odd that they would. I'll have to pay more attention. They definitely are served with the coral in England.

Now I have heard good things of a place called Vin sur Vin in the 7th (michelin *) - any one been?

I don't know how vin sur vin got its 1 star.Its an ok place, nothing special.

It has a good list of burgungy wine.Food that's ok but not exciting.

Small and intimate,maybee that's the reason.

We are currently planning our next Paris visit and have been arguing about a return visit to Vin Sur Vin. Last summer, four of us found the entrees and desserts to be outstanding but the plats more ordinary. We were seated in what I assume is the "American" table; it is off to one side and could fit six diners in a pinch. Prices are quite reasonable; way below other one-stars visited in recent years. With Kir Royale and a decent bottle of wine and a half, the three course meal cost just a bit over 100 euros per person. JKP

I have been a fan of M. Vidal's tiny "Vin Sur Vin" for years, but I favor Taillevent/traditional over Gagnaire/experimental; nothing judgemental, just my personal preference. The chef was trained at Arpege and has been with M. Vidal for over 7 years. Anytime you see Langoustines on the menu give them consideration. Patrice Vidal is extremely serious about his tiny restaurant, especially its' prodigious wine list and you can break through his occasionally stiff demeanor by asking for his expertise in pairing a proper wine with your meal. This may be the smallest Michelin-starred restaurant since Les Ormes when it was in the 16th. If you seek artfully foamed unborn artichoke navels prepared sous vide then this is not your spot, but if you like consistently top quality Lozère lamb, Salers beef,and fresh seafood expertly prepared you can do worse.

Edited by Laidback (log)