• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a great Deli

A few weeks ago I posted looking for the best sushi in Seattle for some friends from NYC. Those friends are coming back and they are looking for a NY style delicatssen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

A few weeks ago I posted looking for the best sushi in Seattle for some friends from NYC. Those friends are coming back and they are looking for a NY style delicatssen.

Why in the name of all that is good and holy would people from NYC come to Seattle looking for a New York style deli?!?!

You should save them the disappointment and admit up front that their is no place here that holds a candle to the best delis in NYC, because there isn't.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

NY style he asked, not necessarily competing with or pretending to be a NY deli. That said, you might try Eats in West Seattle or New York Deli in Bellevue (if that is the new one in Factoria?) I haven't managed to get to either, but they sound promising. Eats would be far more NW.

I live in New York City.

I would love to know where one can find a good NY style deli--anywhere--there aren't any here!!

:wacko:

NY style he asked, not necessarily competing with or pretending to be a NY deli. That said, you might try Eats in West Seattle or New York Deli in Bellevue (if that is the new one in Factoria?) I haven't managed to get to either, but they sound promising. Eats would be far more NW.

The new-ish place in Factoria is Goldberg's which has received uniformly mediocre to poor reviews and originates out of Detroit.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I'm with Tighe. I'd try to steer them away from trying the things that their hometown does so well and we don't, and toward the things that Seattle restaurants do well that might not be widely available in NYC.

Would definitely not recommend Roxy's. The two times I have been there bagels were stale, service was very slow (when not even busy) and poor, food mediocre.

I would however recommend highly Buffalo Deli on First Ave. downtown. Owner is from NY and has great sandwiches, matzoh ball soup. Not sure if she is open Saturdays.

The new-ish place in Factoria is Goldberg's which has received uniformly mediocre to poor reviews and originates out of Detroit.

Thanks tighe, I knew that didn't sound right. I know the reviews have been lukewarm to bad, but if they are insistent, it might be the place to find whatever it is they need. Or they might try Leah's deli in the Ravenna neighborhood (assuming it is still operating?) or Goldberg's on Main St in "Old" Bellevue. Along with Eats and Buffalo Deli, at least you can matzoh ball soup.

I like Buffalo Deli, but it isn't NY style in the Katz genre, except for attitude - and even that has mellowed over the years.

Or they might try Leah's deli in the Ravenna neighborhood (assuming it is still operating?)

Leah's is still on Ravenna around 65th St. They expanded into the space on the corner that used to be the Gaelsong Celtic Store (which is now exclusively mail order, I've been told). Leah's chocolate babka is to die for!

Miulang

Edited by miulang (log)

If they are looking for a delicious Corned Beef Reuben and Chicken Soup w/ Motza Ball, I really enjoyed those I had at Eats Market in the Westwood Village in West Seattle. YUM.

Their menu is HERE

edit: typo

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

If they are looking for a delicious Corned Beef Reuben and Chicken Soup w/ Motza Ball, I really enjoyed those I had at Eats Market in the Westwood Village in West Seattle. YUM.

Their menu is HERE

edit: typo

I finally tried Eats for brunch - they have some serious problems in both the kitchen and front of house - many orders being delivered had to be returned for some fix or another, toast was brought out dry, no butter on the table, coffee never refilled, dull homemade sausage cooked dry...but I would be inclined to go back for soup and sandwich. The biscuits were good.

If you had a time machine I would recommend AJ's on First Hill circa 1990. I miss their grilled chicken sandwich and I have never tasted potato salad as good. I will ad this thread to my favorites in anticipation that someone can recommend someplace good.

You would think with as many people who have moved to Seattle these past ten years we would have some decent NY or Chicago pizza, NY deli, Philly cheesesteak, Texas/KC/Memphis BBQ, etc. Someone please open a deli!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

You would think with as many people who have moved to Seattle these past ten years we would have some decent NY or Chicago pizza, NY deli, Philly cheesesteak, Texas/KC/Memphis BBQ, etc.  Someone please open a deli!

It is one of life's great mysteries....

FWIW, I think Philadelphia Fevre (24th & Madison) does a good job with cheesesteaks...

You would think with as many people who have moved to Seattle these past ten years we would have some decent NY or Chicago pizza, NY deli, Philly cheesesteak, Texas/KC/Memphis BBQ, etc. Someone please open a deli!

I'm not sure if its still true, but a couple years ago I saw stats about where the newcomers were coming from, and it was Oregon (#1), California and various other western states that are not culinary hotbeds. So maybe we need a publicity campaign in NYC, Chicago and Philly if we want that stuff here.

Though in my mind, that would take half the fun out of traveling.

I am NOT a cheesesteak expert at all, but have you tried Tat's? I think they do a good job with all their sandwiches, they are from Philly and they seem like really nice guys.

Edited by kiliki (log)

Tat's looks like a must-try and may be good option for DrKoob's friends.

I just added Cheesesteak because I was trying to pad my email. :biggrin: But it is one of those things where someone from Philly MIGHT say about anything outside of Pennsylvania.

Actually, I prefer French Dip (for some reason I don't like cheese and veg on my roast beef. )

BTW, I have heard the best NY Pizza is in Connecticut.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I had a pizza in New Haven, CT last summer that made me want to stop eating any of the pizza available in Seattle.

I had a pizza in New Haven, CT last summer that made me want to stop eating any of the pizza available in Seattle.

The Clam Pizza at Pepe's in New Haven is legendary! Did you try that? Modern Apizza also makes a legendary pie.

California and various other western states that are not culinary hotbeds.

Clearly, you don't know where the trend of fresh, seasonal, local ingredients comes from! Granted Alice Waters' heyday was over 30 years ago. But to discount the culinary contribution of California is just irresponsible.

Now if you are refering to delis, cheese-steaks, pizza, and BBQ; well I might let that slide. Although I should point out that the French dip was invented in LA (Philippe's the Original or Cole's is still being argued.) California has laid claim to a style of pizza all its own. And Langer's makes the best Pastrami sandwich in the world!

Sorry about the rant :unsure:

But I moved here from LA and I had to stick up for my home state :wink:

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Ummm...you might want to read the comment again, or perhaps I should have punctuated better. "Not culinary hotbeds"="various other western states." States OTHER than California and Oregon. Like Idaho and Montana. I suppose now someone will tell me that Boise has a scorching restaurance scene. But, I doubt it.

Ahh, I see now that leaving the word "other" altogether would have made things clearer.

Ummm...you might want to read the comment again, or perhaps I should have punctuated better. "Not culinary hotbeds"="various other western states." States OTHER than California and Oregon. Like Idaho and Montana. I suppose now someone will tell me that Boise has a scorching restaurance scene. But, I doubt it.

Ahh, I see now that leaving the word "other" altogether would have made things clearer.

Sorry, I get defensive sometimes.

But I can see now how I misread the line.