• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

savory frosting? or glaze

Eden

I'm working on an April Fools menu, and one of the things we're looking at is making fake eggs out of pie crust (I have half-egg shaped baking molds) and filling them with a hollandaise like sauce to be cracked open at the table.

So the question is how do I glue the two egg halves together. The sauce needs to still be warmish, so I can't wait for something that needs to dry, and it can't need to cook to set either (unless a butane torch would do the trick)

I was thinking something like a cream cheese frosting, but savory would work well. I can certainly wing it on this, but if someone's already got a working recipe that would be fab.

Likewise does anyone have ideas for a hard drying whitish glaze like one pours on bundt cake, but savory? I'm blocked on how to make this work since sugar is integral to the sweet glaze...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm working on an April Fools menu, and one of the things we're looking at is making fake eggs out of pie crust (I have half-egg shaped baking molds) and filling them with a hollandaise like sauce to be cracked open at the table.

So the question is how do I glue the two egg halves together.  The sauce needs to still be warmish, so I can't wait for something that needs to dry, and it can't need to cook to set either (unless a butane torch would do the trick)

I was thinking something like a cream cheese frosting, but savory would work well.  I can certainly wing it on this, but if someone's already got a working recipe that would be fab. 

Likewise does anyone have ideas for a hard drying whitish glaze like one pours on bundt cake, but savory?  I'm blocked on how to make this work since sugar is integral to the sweet glaze...

maybe try egg whites as the glue?

So... given hollandaise and frosting: is this a sweet or a savory dish?

I could also see making this out of chocolate using candy making techniques... kind of like DIY cadbury eggs.

Also, I swear I just read something about DIY eggs in a liquid nitrogen thread that was cute.

looking up thread... Liquid Nitrogen mock egg idea (sugar and alcohol)

Edited by McAuliflower (log)

flavor floozy

maybe try egg whites as the glue?

So... given hollandaise and frosting: is this a sweet or a savory dish? 

I could also see making this out of chocolate using candy making techniques... kind of like DIY cadbury eggs.

the problem w/egg whites as a glue is that you have to have time for them to harden. If we take that time the sauce will cool too much & get icky...

and this is definately a savory dish, so I need a savory frosting/glue.

What about using molten sugar? You could make a paste out of water and confectioner's sugar which you could place on one half-shell, torch, stick, voila!

At least, in theory.

Or, bees wax. That you could cut into strips, heat with a torch, and stick the second half to.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Not being a savory side person, this is all going to be conjecture:

is is possible to freeze a bechamel or mornay sauce (or a veloute?) into cubes and to assemble the eggs - use a half shell shape, and a flat egg shape. Put the frozen cube on the flat side, use egg white to seal the flat and shaped sides together and bake.... Sort of like a ravioli, I guess. During baking, the sauce should thaw and become fluid - providing it doesn't burst the seam.

Sounds like a fun idea...

How about a thinned out pate' piped in between or maybe an onion jam

boursin or mozzarella melted for the glaze....hmmmm

pick up a copy of the sureal gourmet

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How about a thinned out pate' piped in between or maybe an onion jam

boursin or mozzarella melted for the glaze....hmmmm

pick up a copy of the sureal gourmet

tracey

I too was thinking of the Surreal Gourmet (Bob Blumer).

He has a fake eggs with peach halves that is cute.

flavor floozy

Dough? Either whole wheat or rye flour (for color), made into a sticky dough, then zapped with a torch.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Ooh I love fromage forte! plus I have a bunch or random cheese in the house, I think it's time to whip up a batch for a test run!

I have the surreal gourmet on order form the library.

thanks for the suggestions.