• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

I live on the Eastern Shore but occasionally trek to Northern Va. -- mainly Falls Church -- for banh mi, Korean barbecue and shopping at large Asian supermarkets.

What I'm looking for is a really good, cheap wok. Carbon steel, even the iron ones. When I used to spend summers in San Francisco, there was a fantastic wok shop (it might've even been called The Wok Shop) in Chinatown.

I just tossed a cruddy nonstick wok someone had given me a few years ago into the trash, quite disgustedly.

Do you know of a good place, either in D.C. or surrounding areas, to find good woks?

I live on the Eastern Shore but occasionally trek to Northern Va. -- mainly Falls Church -- for banh mi, Korean barbecue and shopping at large Asian supermarkets.

What I'm looking for is a really good, cheap wok. Carbon steel, even the iron ones. When I used to spend summers in San Francisco, there was a fantastic wok shop (it might've even been called The Wok Shop) in Chinatown.

I just tossed a cruddy nonstick wok someone had given me a few years ago into the trash, quite disgustedly.

Do you know of a good place, either in D.C. or surrounding areas, to find good woks?

Can't guarantee it but I'll wager that they sell woks at Great Wall. You might also consider wandering around Eden Center and seeing what you can find -- even if you don't come up with a wok you can get a great meal and a year's supply of Asian staples while you're there. (Hint: Song Que for their Bahn Mi).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

It's still there on Grant Ave. They have a web site, so maybe you could mail order one from them. I know I got my carbon steel wok in SF Chinatown, when I lived just up the hill on Powell, which means I've had that wok for almost 30 years. That's a little scary, but not because the wok is old.

I would think carbon steel woks are available in any Chinatown in a major city, but check out www.wokshop.com