• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

Caul fat can be mail ordered from Niman Ranch.

And lamb sausage casings, too. I guess once I get my kilo of caul and football field of casing (minimum orders:2.5 lbs, 100 yards respectively), I can spend all winter playing out my bizarre fantasies of becoming Monsieur le Charcutiere without ever leaving the house.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

And lamb sausage casings, too. I guess once I get my kilo of caul and football field of casing (minimum orders:2.5 lbs, 100 yards respectively), I can spend all winter playing out my bizarre fantasies of becoming Monsieur le Charcutiere without ever leaving the house.

That's what friends are for. Call people to go in on it with you. :wink:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

What, you think I'm complaining? I really do have fantasies of spending the winter amongst fatback, farce and internal organs.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

What, you think I'm complaining? I really do have fantasies of spending the winter amongst fatback, farce and internal organs.

Keep us posted with pics. :wink:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 1 month later...
Hi.  Hubby wants to gift friends with some caviar.  Any suggestions on where to go locally?  On the internet?  What to buy?

Unfortunately, budget is limited....

Budget limited = NO Dean and Deluca, but click on caviar anyway.

I got the catalog, like, two hours ago, so it's fresh on the mind...

I am not sure you are going to have much luck buying these little pearls on a budget, but you can source them at Dean and Deluca, or Balduci's. I think I have also seen some at Wegman's, and Whole Foods. If you are looking for a bigger selection, try Browne Trading. They have a number of different types, ranging from Spoonbill to Daniel Boulud Gourmet Beluga. They used to carry a golden Iranian caviar that I once had the opportunity to sample, it was like having a mouth full of orgasms.

If you are on a budget, I recommend that you look for American Paddlefish caviar. It is treated and cured like sturgeon roe, and while it does not have quite the snap or flavor complexity of sevruga or osetra from Iran, it can be found at about 1/4 to 1/3 the price. I bought some for New Year's Eve at Surfa's in West L.A. and made some buckwheat blini to serve it on, and my caviar jones was completely satisfied.

Here in D.C., you can order it from BlackSalt Market--full disclosure: I work there. You may be able to find it in the places mentioned above, as well.

Good luck!

Thanks everybody. I came to the conclusion that American caviar was the way to go. I'll check out Black Salt. Do they have a website? I'm guessing you have to go to the market to actually purchase, but I'd love to look around a website first.

Well, seeing as caviar is a food staple in the land of Chaikovsky and Baryshnikov, innit, perhaps checking out The Russian Gourmet in McLean and Rockville may be an option. I've never been to either so would not know the prices, etc.

Resident Twizzlebum

I get American Paddlefish from Kelley's Katch. Their phone number is 1-888-681-8565. The product is quality, and I ususally get the 4 oz and it does not last.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I get American Paddlefish from Kelley's Katch.  Their phone number is 1-888-681-8565.  The product is quality,  and I ususally get the 4 oz and it does not last.

Kelley's Katch is a treasure. You can order from their website. I have spread the gospel of Kelley's Katch to many others, who also happily order their delicious product. They've recently added American sturgeon/shovelnose caviar to the paddlefish. For Thanksgiving, I ordered a tin of each. My sister (perhaps an even bigger caviar lover than I) and I agreed that although we liked them both, we liked the paddlefish caviar better. And the prices are breathtakingly low, so you can splurge on a couple of bottles of Bollinger to go with.

• 1 month later...

I would check with the folks at the liquor store in Cleveland Park where they carry the Pyrat XO and with Bell's on M Street next door to the Camelot. Even if they do not have any on the shelf, they will be able to tell you if any of their distributors have it. If a distibutor has it in stock, they should be able to ge it in in a day or so. If a distributor has access to it but not in stock naturally it will take longer. At Bell's, they were able to get me some St. James's rhum in short order. Just stop in or give them a call.

For most Indians its nostalgia, we tend to bring some over when we visit the parent country to toast 'the good old days'. Made in India from sugar cane, aged seven years with numerous international awards to its credit and a hint of vanilla was one description on the net.

I do not like it as much as I did when I was in India, to me it appears kind of weak both in body and flavor compared to say a dark bacardi.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 2 months later...

My family eats a lot of tofu. We generally buy the bucket with 10 blocks of tofu once a week or once every other week. We generally get them from Lotte in Fairfax but have also gotten them from GrandMart, Super H and Han Ah Rum. The Lotte tofu had been really good for years. Really soft but firm enough to hold their shape. Lately, I've notice a change for the worse.

I've been looking for a fresher source. If anyone has a good source for tofu, I'd appreciate some info.

BTW, anyone try to tofu resturant in eden center? I just noticed it yesterday.

Thanks.

Soup

I bought five chunks of a savory tofu (for a dollar!) that had mushrooms, green onions, and mung bean noodles mixed throughout the tofu. The tofu is deep fried so that the outside is a little crispy and the inside is incredibly smooth and delicious. My tofu hating 20 month old ate two of the chunks for a snack and loved them. I was there last Friday at around 2pm and the place was jumping. Good turnover.