• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

For that matter, I bet Wilton makes a fish-shaped cake pan that you can use and decorate yourself. Most of the Wilton pans take a standard amount of cake batter. Look at Michael's, they usually have a good selection of Wilton pans.

Wilton does not have a Nemo cake pan. You have to use a football pan. Here are directions in case you are feeling ambitious:

nemo cake

Baskin-Robbins might too, if you're looking for an ice-cream cake.

As a child I always got ice-cream cakes for my birthday cake. I still have a fondness for Baskin-Robbins logs filled with mint chip ice cream as a result.

For that matter, I bet Wilton makes a fish-shaped cake pan that you can use and decorate yourself. Most of the Wilton pans take a standard amount of cake batter. Look at Michael's, they usually have a good selection of Wilton pans.

Wilton does not have a Nemo cake pan. You have to use a football pan. Here are directions in case you are feeling ambitious:

nemo cake

The deal is the each year I have made the cake.. this year I was hoping for something different. I will let you all know what I hear (my son and I share a bday so I am hoping for something in there for me too :wink: )

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Monica,

My nephew loves Nemo, too. But I can't recall what kind of cake we had at his birthday though.

I know you are looking to purchase one (fwiw, some giants have pretty decent bakeries) but if you want to make one, you may find this link helpful: http://www.cakeworkscentral.com/scrapbook/clownfish.htm

I did a brief search and found a link with some Nemo party (kid) food ideas: http://www.kid-party-ideas.com/finding-nemo-party-theme.html

Good luck & happy birthday,

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Many bakeries (including Giant IIRC) have computerized technology that if you bring them a picture, they can have it magically sprayed and replicated onto a sheet cake in edible icing. My son's preschool class had a cake with their class picture on it. The kids loved eating themselves. I'm sure you could take a NEMO pic to them and have it done. OR you might be able to find an ocean themed cake and just add plastic NEMO characters to the cake.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. A fellow eGer came to my rescue. Toby of www.TobysIceCream.com (301-996-TOBY (8629) ) prepared this cake that was a big hit.

i11366.jpg

Chocolate cake layered with homemade vanilla icecream

The only problem -- one of the two year olds starts to cry -- Ms. Monica cut Nemo :laugh::laugh:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Interesting question -- no it was for him -- 5 for his years and 1 for good luck - its an old tradition we have always followed and now I am wondering how it started

I have to say that the cake was outstanding and we polished off all of it (we also had a cake for me that was equally delightful)

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

That cake looked amazing. My son's first birthday is coming up this weekend (his party anyway) and I just placed an order with Furin's in Georgetown. I'll post a picture when I've seen it, but they were very willing to custom design a cake for us. Prices are very reasonable as well, and I know from experience that their cakes are great.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

That cake looked amazing. My son's first birthday is coming up this weekend (his party anyway) and I just placed an order with Furin's in Georgetown. I'll post a picture when I've seen it, but they were very willing to custom design a cake for us. Prices are very reasonable as well, and I know from experience that their cakes are great.

What design are you getting?

Interesting question -- no it was for him -- 5 for his years and 1 for good luck - its an old tradition we have always followed and now I am wondering how it started

I have to say that the cake was outstanding and we polished off all of it (we also had a cake for me that was equally delightful)

In the old Indian tradition the lights are lit for happy occasions and not blown. That is how Deewali (the festival of lights) started.

Indians have started doing birthday cakes and candles only in the last century or so while Brits were in power in India.

In case of birthday cakes, however, an extra candle is lit for the next year which is beginning and that one is kept lit while the others are blown.

The cake did look very lovely, Monica.

Cheers!

You'll see, it's something my wife wanted to do, I'm pretty sure the inspiration was Martha Stewart. It'll be a surprise.

You'll see, it's something my wife wanted to do, I'm pretty sure the inspiration was Martha Stewart. It'll be a surprise.

What, is the cake going to have a jail-cell motif with bars?

:shock:

Actually, It'll look like a big bag of money, the bag will have handstitched trim and baby hand prints all over it. Now everyone is going to be totally underwhelmed with the actual cake...

• 3 months later...

Good luck hunting it down. I'm searching, too, and will post here if I find some. Most people behing butcher counters here don't even know what it is.

Scratch (so far) Union Butcher in Eastern Market; Wagshal's in Spring Valley.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.