• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

After my trip to Amernick, I went to Vace. How could I have missed this place before? It's GREAT.

Try their fresh pizza dough. Set it out before you go to work in the morning. Then fire up a pizza stone and make it when you get home in the evening. Toss on some homemade sauce and some of the cheesy & meaty treats from Vace and you're all set.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on Marcella's on Connectucut in Chevy Chase. We went last week just before lunchtime (11:30ish). The owner was MAKING THE MOZZARELLA fresh while we waited. Apparently he makes it at this time each day, for their pizzas and for individual sale. We did not try the pizza, but took home two warm balls of mozzarella and a loaf of fresh bread, sliced some tomatoes, cut some basil from our backyard, and feasted. Incredible.

Not exactly in your 'hood, but the Cheese (Turophile) guy at Eastern Market usually has buf Moz as well as acceptable non-buf domestic.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

After my trip to Amernick, I went to Vace.  How could I have missed this place before?  It's GREAT.

Good smells, lots of homemade pastas and sausages, I loved it.  The only disappointment was that they didn't have mozzarella di bufala made in-house.  I picked up the cheese they did have and will let you know how that goes.  I also got some homemade cavatelli and a slice of pepperoni pizza (nicely crisp crust and a sauce with a good sweet/salt balance).

I strikes me that any Mozzarella di Bufala purported to have been made "in house" would be a contradiction?

edioted for spelling

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I strikes me that any Mozzarella di Bufala purported to have been made "in house" would be a contradiction?

Good point. Unless your cheese shop is in Wyoming or something.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I don't think the kind of buffalo that they milk in Italy to make Mozzerals di Bufala are the same as the American Bison that you might find in Wyoming. According to the website, they have been milking those units since the 7th century. That sort of precludes the use by the Italians of imported bison.

I learn something new every day. :smile:

The point is: authentic Mozzarella di Bufala will be imported from Italy. I bought some at Wegmans the other day. It came in a little foil bag, was imported from Italy and had an expiration date on it. It was delicious with sliced tomato, vidalia and basil salad with vinaigrette dressing.

Edited by mnebergall (log)

I don't think the kind of buffalo that they milk in Italy to make Mozzerals di Bufala are the same as the American Bison that you might find in Wyoming. According to the website, they have been milking those units since the 7th century. That sort of precludes the use by the Italians of imported bison.

I knew I should have "edited to add" a smiley of some kind. It was a lame attempt at a cheesy joke.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Ohhh, that was a joke. Ha ha ha. Now that I think about it, it would be pretty humorous to imagine someone trying to milk a bison. I can just see someone with their little milking stool and pail dressed like a baseball catcher.

So...tell me, where can I get some good bufala mozzarella? I live in upper NW DC so something convenient to that location would be awesome.

I know you said something close to upper NW DC... But if you can get to N. Arlington, go to The Italian Store. There you will find amazing buffalo mozzarella, a great selection of Italian wines and lots of other goodies including some of the best pizza outside of NYC!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

The "bufala" in question from which the milk is obtained which produces the cheese in this case are water buffalos -- more like an ox than a bison -- much more!

Oh and BTW, Rosengarten in his newsletter, reports there is now a farm in VT that has acquired a small herd of the beasts and is producing Bufala yogurt, which according to Rosengarten, is excellent.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Except that they are in fact Asiatic water buffalo, which aren't native to Italy either (but were imported from Asia around the 7th century). So there's no reason that someone can't have an imported herd of the same animals locally, in which case you'd have your mozzarella di bufala.

This is not to say that there is such a herd, but it's quite possible.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

A lot of cheese is made in California and much of it is good.

However, when I want an ethnic or specialty cheese I order it from Ideal Cheese Shop in NYC.

http://www.idealcheese.com/tour.htm

They are great to deal with, their cheeses are outstanding and they have been voted the best cheese shop for a reason.

Their regular buffalo mozz is excellent and I order it on a regular basis.

They also carry, when available, the Buratta mozz, which is incredible. Check the site

http://www.idealcheese.com/catalog/italy.htm

or give them at call at:800-382-0109 or Fax 212-223-1245 and ask when it will be available.

Try the ricotta salata it is a very interesting cheese with which to cook. Similar to a farmer's cheese but with more tang.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in buying some Sake, anyone know where you can buy bottles for home consumption.

Also, are there any good bars to drink Sake around here, there's the two Sake places in Adams Morgan and Woodley, but any place else. I went to this amazing Sake bar in NYC over the weekend, complete grungy basement joint, about 70 different Sakes and amazing Japanese bar food ($3-$5 a plate), herring wrapped in seaweed and marinated in soy, whole smelt with house made mayo, sear bonito with mustard leaves. DC needs places like this...

Decibel

The Wine Enthusiast on M and 21st has a pretty good selection from what i recall. Well-known stuff like Meibo and Onokoroshi. And bottles that e-gullet forum hosts can drop on the street too.

The place in Woodley Park (Sake club?) had a decent amount of labels, nice setting too.

Decibel is awesome, but next time you are in NYC you have to go here.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

In Bethesda, Daruma sells a good variety of Sake and Tako Grill has a Sake Bar next to the restaurant.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The Wine Enthusiast on M and 21st has a pretty good selection from what i recall. Well-known stuff like Meibo and Onokoroshi. And bottles that e-gullet forum hosts can drop on the street too.

The place in Woodley Park (Sake club?) had a decent amount of labels, nice setting too.

Excellent M and 21st is near my office. Thanks

I really liked Decibel's grungy,edgy, underground feel...sake, great food, and techno at 1am...very cool

The place in Woodley Park (Sake club?)  had a decent amount of labels, nice setting too.

Excellent M and 21st is near my office. Thanks

I really liked Decibel's grungy,edgy, underground feel...sake, great food, and techno at 1am...very cool

That's a great block...my friend owns a bar near Decibel called Solas. I spent many a drunk evening there (and used the bathroom at Starbucks at the corner of 2nd Ave way more times than I care to remember when the line at Solas was too long).

:blink:

The place sounds great, (except for one thing)I love cold unfiltered sake.

I will be in NY on the 23rd...about the techno...how loud is it? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I HATE techno music! :wacko:

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

The place sounds great, (except for one thing)I love cold unfiltered sake.

I will be in NY on the 23rd...about the techno...how loud is it? I don't mean to offend anyone, but I HATE techno music! :wacko:

I'm offended! :smile:

I've only been this one time, so not sure if it is techno all the time, but it was more background noise then pounding in your face. The place is small and a pretty tight space so it has a loud bar atmosphere in general...it's definitely one place where I'm glad they banned cigarette smoking in NYC bars and restaurants, because if they did allow smoking, I'm sure there would be a permanent fog inside!

But you will be able to find cold unfiltered sake there.

Also, are there any good bars to drink Sake around here

Do sushi bars count? :smile:

If so, Kaz Sushi Bistro has a good selection of sake by the bottle, conveniently grouped according to "type" (elegant, fruity, etc.). They also offer a tasting flight of six different sakes, served on a little paper mat that has been marked to indicate which sake has which type of characteristics. It's a fine sample platter, and a good primer as well.

I'm almost certain Calvert-Woodley and MacArthur would have a good selection of sakes.

And don't ask John W about what happened the last time I walked into the Wine Enthusiast with him and purchased a magnum of sake. (Hint for the curious: I ended up hurling invectives in the bathroom of Baja Fresh.)

Cheers,

Rocks.

I did have the house sake served warm at Makoto, which comes in a bamboo server for about $6 a serving, you would get maybe 6-8 shots out of that.

I really enjoyed the Wakataki Sake at Decibel...Wakataki Sake, I think saying sake producer names fast would make a good drinking game.