• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where Do I Get Stuff?

redfox

*disclaimer: i work at palena.

but if you are looking for the best bufala mozzarella outside of naples, get the anitpasto plate at palena...they get it straight from the source....naples, italy, and it is spectacular.

jenny, if you dont like it...(just so it doesnt seem like i am plugging palena, i will pay for your appetizer).

Jenny, I think it's a sign :wink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Further up Conn. Ave in Chevy Chase, Marcella's also sells amazing mozzarella.

Marcela's does have excellent mozzarella, made fresh daily, and not stored in the fridge so it keeps that creamy goodness till you get it home! Can't wait for the first good tomatoes to come out...

its not quite convenient but litteri's on florida, 6th and morse st., ne usually has it. if not, its still worth the trip. they carry amazing products at ridiculously cheap prices that would make whole foods, dean and deluca, sutton place, etc etc weep. think of it as a trip to restock your pantry as they dont have fresh meat or produce, nice cheese and charcuterie though.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

its not quite convenient but litteri's on florida, 6th and morse st., ne usually has it. if not, its still worth the trip. they carry amazing products at ridiculously cheap prices that would make whole foods, dean and deluca, sutton place, etc etc weep. think of it as a trip to restock your pantry as they dont have fresh meat or produce, nice cheese and charcuterie though.

Good suggestion. Litteri's is a gem of a place in a sketchy neighborhood, and the prices are very reasonable. Good spot to stock up on olive oils, vinegars, pasta.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Good suggestion. Litteri's is a gem of a place in a sketchy neighborhood, and the prices are very reasonable. Good spot to stock up on olive oils, vinegars, pasta.

I'm going to be happy when the New York Ave station opens on the Red Line. Should make it more convenient to get here for those of us who prefer not to drive if they don't have to.

litteri's had it this morning.

-Jason

I'm going to be happy when the New York Ave station opens on the Red Line. Should make it more convenient to get here for those of us who prefer not to drive if they don't have to.

I don't get to that side of the red line very often these days, but when I did, I am pretty sure there already was a New York Ave station. Hallucination? :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Went to litteri's this morning. Oh my god that place is increadible. Pasta I haven't seen in the US, olive oils that would take years to go through. And the Italian subs.

(keep in mind the next sentence is geared toward JU and where she lives)

It's not worth the trip just for the mozzarella (but is for everything else). I think Vace's and Marcella's is much better. All they had was the prepackaged kind.

Happily Vace is open today (Sunday) 10-5 so I expect to stop by. I am thinking of making a nice Italian dinner to go with tonight's Soprano's episode.

I re-checked the Glover Park Whole Foods post-gym yesterday. They had some, but it was the nasty, corporate, no flavor kind.

I'd start by calling Whole Paycheck, My Organic Market, and any local health food stores and asking if they carry it.

I really wanted to buy some on my recent trip to New Orleans, but my esteemed spouse reminded me that we couldn't safely transport it to DC just as I reached for my wallet. :sad:

I know it's pretty far from you, but I wonder if the cheese guy at Eastern Market has any? Or one of the other stands?

You might also try beer/winemaking suppliers - they'll sometimes have rennet. I know there's one out here, but there's got to be one out in Rockville or Gaithersburg.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

My Organic Market didn't have rennet. Maybe I will try one of the cheese guys at the Dupont Market next Sunday. I could probably get some online, but don't want a huge order to make one batch of cream cheese.

Thanks Hannah, we've got friends that brew - maybe they will have some suggestions.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

At New England Cheesemaking Supply, you can get as little as $7 worth of rennet. I can't imagine you could get a smaller amount at any brick-and-mortar store. You might try calling the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Co-op, though, if you're hankering to just get your hands on some in person, quickly. I don't know that they have any, but it seems possible.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After my trip to Amernick, I went to Vace. How could I have missed this place before? It's GREAT.

Good smells, lots of homemade pastas and sausages, I loved it. The only disappointment was that they didn't have mozzarella di bufala made in-house. I picked up the cheese they did have and will let you know how that goes. I also got some homemade cavatelli and a slice of pepperoni pizza (nicely crisp crust and a sauce with a good sweet/salt balance).